SAT NAVS WILL NOT UPDATE - HELP AT MY WITTS END — TomTom Community

SAT NAVS WILL NOT UPDATE - HELP AT MY WITTS END

Hi, I have over 100 Tomtom devices. 17 of which all started malfunctioning in the same way at the same time. Updates simply go around and around and around. Ive tried leaving devices updating for over 3 days as suggested by Tomtom but to no avail. They then suggested that I dont connect the devices for 4 weeks, the Tomtom servers would automatically reset and the problem would be resolved.....NOPE! I had a guy from Tomtom log onto my PC who promised further technical assistance but that was the last I heard. After an hour and a half on hold today I ended going back to square one and being asked to do simple actions like a soft reset and the operator just wouldn't listen. It all seemed to begin when Nav 4 was launched. I know that on some devices I had full size USA maps saved to the device which just about squeezed onto the onboard memory. However, when nav 4 came along I wouldn't have had space to install this onto onboard memory as there was no free memory. I attempted to delete this map and install a smaller one so that Nav 4 would fit but, because I didn't have Nav 4 it wouldn't let me! Please don't direct me to generic basic instructions - there is a real issue here that is stopping 17 of my devices working and it's been going on a year now. Please dont direct me to customer services either as they can only do the basics such as cache clearing and I've done the basics on every device multiple times. Please don't direct me to the Repairs team either as at £100 per device to fix a problem that is an issue Tomtoms end isn't particularly palatable. THIS NEEDS SOMEONE WITH SOFT / FIRMWARE KNOWLEDGE (PREFERABLY BASED IN THE UK) TO RESOLVE - PLEASE ANYONE ???

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,138
    Superuser
    Hi @Meontomtom

Concerned you say someone from TomTom accessed your TomTom. TomTom do not provide that service but some scam websites do. Can you please give details of the websites you have accessed So that TomTom can try to deal with them.

Doug
    Superuser
    Hi @Meontomtom

What model TomTom units are you having a problem with. What are you trying to do and what are you seeing.

Doug
  • MeontomtomMeontomtom Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Hi, I can assure you it was someone from Tomtom accessing, he had no control of my pc but could see what was happening and agreed that this was a technical issue. They are various models..all go - 610, 6100, 510,5100 and some 51's. Since posting I have discovered a full restore....hold, tomtom chimes, a "bios" type page, 3 clicks and connect - My Drive went through restoring but as soon as it finished the device and my drive went straight back into "updating mode" and so began the circle of continuous updating again. I have 80 plus other devices that update fine so it's not a problem with my PC or indeed Mydrive and answering your question..I am trying to update maps, thought that was kind of quite clear :-)
    Superuser
    edited October 2019
    Hi @Meontomtom

I made the comment because you said that the Tomtom agent logged onto your PC. When you say that they can see what I happening it is information that they will have at their end in the logs which detail what updates, maps etc have been processed on the units.

I am surprised at the suggestion that the servers will reset themselves after 4 weeks and that you should wait till then. Never heard that before.

If you have been trying to do one action several times it could be that if @VikramK looks at the Logs he can see if there is a problem with incomplete files blocking you from doing what you want to do.

Have a look back here tomorrow to see if he has any information for you..

Doug
  • MeontomtomMeontomtom Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I dont want to raise another issue here but I can assure you that TOMtom did infact log into my pc. I know it was Tomtom because I called them and was a continuation of this long running issue. It took months to reach that stage. I was also surprised at the suggestions given by Tomtom but I'll try anything now as I've spent literally weeks of my time trying to resolve this. The other option is to throw £2500 worth of sat navs in the bin ! Many thanks