Backup GO 620 Wi-Fi — TomTom Community

Backup GO 620 Wi-Fi

I cannot connect to PC using cable / USB Looked through all the "solutions", where I seem to go round and round. Using two PCs, WIN 10, I have reinstalled Connect and Home, reset device, reinstalled "Unknown" drivers and set up a new user. One PC makes the D-Dum USB noise when I plug device in, other does nothing. (Why is driver "unknown"? )

Have I misunderstood Wi-Fi functionality, i.e. you do not need PC connections as update is done over the air? I can accept that, but if so how do I backup my 620?

I gave up original TomTom probably;y over 15 years ago because I was instructed by TomTom to do something that rendered device useless. Backup had not been a pre cursor to advice given then so do not want to screw it with updates again before a backup on this device.

Regards

Best Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,888
    Superuser
    edited October 2019 Accepted Answer
    Hi @22_ZoeAmy

Your GO620) does not need to be backed up by you and there is no way you can do it as it is already being backed up.. If there is a problem with the Software there is a recovery process which can help sort it out and is virtually the only reason you would need a PC other than what I mention here later. On todays Wifi devices you need a PC if you have no Wifi at home, maybe because you have a health problem, or because your Wifi download speed is not good enough. In either case if you attach your unit to the PC with My Drive Connect Software running you get the splash screen saying use Wifi but if you ignore that and then use the menus on the device it will update maps and software etc but is just using the Internet Connection via your PC.

If you want to add you own POI files or Route files to your device you use the My Drive Website to do that . You load the files into your Account on My Drive Webpage then when you link your Unit to your PC with the My Drive Connect software running or to your phone for Traffic the Files are then Synced to your device.

Any My Places, Home and Work settings you create on the device are Synced back to your account and can be seen in My Drive (not My Drive Connect) synced to your device after your unit has connected to your account on the TT servers. .

If you ever have to do a Factory Reset on your device which will delete all the My Places , Poi and Route files you have on your device then because they are in your account on the MY Drive Website they will be restored to your device when you connect it to your Phone for Traffic or your PC with the My Drive Connect software running. So if you had to do a Factory Reset away from Home you can restore all your Data when you connect it to your phone for traffic etc.

Things have changed in 15 years.

Doug
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @22_ZoeAmy

Far from a Grand Master just a customer like you.

Have a look here as there are loads of videos that you may find helpful..

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034175/list-of-support-videos-drive

Doug
  • 22_ZoeAmy22_ZoeAmy Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
    Accepted Answer
    OK, Sensei then? Your help is much appreciated, MyDrive worked as you said

Regards
    Superuser
    Hi @22_ZoeAmy

If you download the My Drive App to your phone and log into your account you can see your My Places and you can create a route on it and send it to your device or save it as a route in My Drive and Sync it to the My Routes folder on the device.

You can also download the Mapcodes App to your Phone. If you put the Apps map into hybrid mode, looks like a Google Earth Sat Map, and either search using Postcodes, addresses etc for places or move the map around until the cursor is over. the precise position you want then the App gives you an Address for the Position also the Mapcode and the Long/Lat. You can Cut and Paste the Long/Lat into your My Drive App and then send the route to your GO620.

If you go on your GO 620 and type the mapcode DH.FX where you would type a postcode and accept the search result you will get a route to the middle gate at Buckingham Palace. Mapcodes work world wide and are accurate enough to pinpoint a bay in a car park.

Doug
    Accepted Answer
    Over and above the Call of Duty.

Thanks a lot Doug, really very much apreciated.

Answers

Superuser
    Hi @22_ZoeAmy

Your GO620) does not need to be backed up by you and there is no way you can do it as it is already being backed up.. If there is a problem with the Software there is a recovery process which can help sort it out and is virtually the only reason you would need a PC other than what I mention here later. On todays Wifi devices you need a PC if you have no Wifi at home, maybe because you have a health problem, or because your Wifi download speed is not good enough. In either case if you attach your unit to the PC with My Drive Connect Software running you get the splash screen saying use Wifi but if you ignore that and then use the menus on the device it will update maps and software etc but is just using the Internet Connection via your PC.

If you want to add you own POI files or Route files to your device you use the My Drive Website to do that . You load the files into your Account on My Drive Webpage then when you link your Unit to your PC with the My Drive Connect software running or to your phone for Traffic the Files are then Synced to your device.

Any My Places, Home and Work settings you create on the device are Synced back to your account and can be seen in My Drive (not My Drive Connect) synced to your device after your unit has connected to your account on the TT servers. .

If you ever have to do a Factory Reset on your device which will delete all the My Places , Poi and Route files you have on your device then because they are in your account on the MY Drive Website they will be restored to your device when you connect it to your Phone for Traffic or your PC with the My Drive Connect software running. So if you had to do a Factory Reset away from Home you can restore all your Data when you connect it to your phone for traffic etc.

Things have changed in 15 years.

Doug
    Wow Doug, Very comprehensive reply, and much appreciated. I will check out your comments, which I am confident are correct, as you appear to be the TomTom grand master.

Thanks again,

regards.
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @22_ZoeAmy

Far from a Grand Master just a customer like you.

Have a look here as there are loads of videos that you may find helpful..

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034175/list-of-support-videos-drive

Doug
    Accepted Answer
    OK, Sensei then? Your help is much appreciated, MyDrive worked as you said

Regards
    Superuser
    Hi @22_ZoeAmy

If you download the My Drive App to your phone and log into your account you can see your My Places and you can create a route on it and send it to your device or save it as a route in My Drive and Sync it to the My Routes folder on the device.

You can also download the Mapcodes App to your Phone. If you put the Apps map into hybrid mode, looks like a Google Earth Sat Map, and either search using Postcodes, addresses etc for places or move the map around until the cursor is over. the precise position you want then the App gives you an Address for the Position also the Mapcode and the Long/Lat. You can Cut and Paste the Long/Lat into your My Drive App and then send the route to your GO620.

If you go on your GO 620 and type the mapcode DH.FX where you would type a postcode and accept the search result you will get a route to the middle gate at Buckingham Palace. Mapcodes work world wide and are accurate enough to pinpoint a bay in a car park.

Doug
    Accepted Answer
    Over and above the Call of Duty.

Thanks a lot Doug, really very much apreciated.