Why did entering house number take me to the wrong address? — TomTom Community

Why did entering house number take me to the wrong address?

I needed to go to a house in Station Road, B46 1HE. (Number 1 on attached map). I put the post code into my sat nav and it came up with the correct road name. I then entered the house number and began driving. I arrived at the wrong address (Number 2 on attached map).

Entering the post code again, but this time not entering the house number - and it correctly sent me the the correct road.

Why did entering the house number change my destination to somewhere over 2 miles away?

Alan

tbe7sklj7c9c.jpg

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,368 Superuser
    Hi @Alan B

Good question and I don't recall this being reported before..

It should be noted, as it is not totally obvious from you post, that the road you wanted to go to and with houses with the Post code B46 1HE is called Station Road and the Road you were directed to is also called Station Road. The 2 Station Roads are not connected and are in different areas.

I don't know the best way for you to report this unusual problem other than by Mapshare Reporter but it would be useful for @VikramK to have a look at this and maybe ensure this very unusual occurrence is directed to the best person. There was a problem until recently with the Postcodes on the Phone App, which use different maps to the PND's, but this is different as in that case the Routing took you to the end of the road not to another road with the same name.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,245 Superusers
    Hi
    @Alan B

What Tomtom Device/Model were you using ???

ATB YFM
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 163 [Exalted Navigator]
    Not a solution, but I could guess that the house number used is not compatible with the Post Code?

B46 1HE has 24 addresses linked with it ranging from 57-103 all odd numbers. If a house number outside of that range was inserted it may have "confused" the search process and located the house number in the other Station Road nearby.

Ideally the search should have reported using an out of range house number could not be found against that post code.

Still should not have happenned and if a correct house number was used then it is more of a mystery. ;)
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,368 Superuser
    Hi @Lost_Soul

There are 2 completely separate Station Roads in Coleshill and whilst if you just put the Postcode in it takes you to the right place for some reason if you input any number, including one at the correct Postcode position ,then it takes you to that number at the other Station Road.

I have found the Postcode with number to work fine so this is a real odd one.

Doug
  • Alan BAlan B Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    I was using a Go 5000 and house number was in the 57 - 103 range mentioned.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,267 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @Alan B

Welcome to the community!

I have activated a smaller map of UK and ROI for your GO 5000.

I would like to know if you are able to reproduce the same issue on a smaller map or if this is related to an ongoing issue.

Please connect your device to MyDrive Connect and you will see the map offered for download.

Post-installation if you have more than one map on the device please select the UK and ROI .

Main menu- Settings>Maps> SELECT UK and ROI

Once selected try planning a route again and let me know if you observe the same behavior.

Thanks
    Vikram:)
  • Alan BAlan B Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Hello @VikramK

I've tried with the new map and get the same results - see photo's.

I believe the problem is that the houses along Station Road are along a service road rather than the main road, and my sat nav is not pointing to the bit where the houses are. If you compare the maps on my pictures 3 and 6 - the houses are where google map is indicating.

Alan

1 - Post code entered
    31rdgq7o6o1k.jpg

2 - Station Road found
    84pvris2yna1.jpg

3 - Show on map
    d5hqpfve8nia.jpg

4 - Now try adding house number
    ow9ed7kxw7fa.jpg

5 - Show this on map - still swapping to the wrong Station Road
    l8y9p674p3vu.jpg

6 - Location of the post code on google maps