Will TomTom Mobile app ever work with Android Auto? — TomTom Community

Will TomTom Mobile app ever work with Android Auto?

Jay76Jay76 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
I have been checking for an update to the TomTom Go Mobile app to work with Android Auto for almost two years now. Alas still no movement from TomTom to jump into the future of built in car navigation.

As such, I have been using Google Maps and Waze via Android Auto on the built-in dash screen. This is a shame, for years I paid and used TomTom as this is a superior navigation system. Until TomTom makes a deal and updates their app to work with Android Auto, I cannot bring myself to pay and or use TomTom. Until such time, I will keep using the automatic connection convenience of Google Maps and Waze via Android Auto.

I no longer hear people talk about TomTom but often hear people speak about Waze. I think the above is the reason why. TomTom, I hope you take note and act fast to keep up.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,772 [Elite Voyager]
    Hi @Jay76

When TT announced and released the IOS CarPlay version of the GO Navigation App they did include in the announcement that they were working on an Android version to be released later in the year. I assume this is probably what you are looking for and as yet nothing has been released.

Doug
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,388 Community Manager
    We’ve recently seen a number of requests to integrate the TomTom GO Mobile app with Android Auto. Currently in most markets, Android Auto only works with Google Maps and Waze. As a result, we cannot develop this feature until support for integration with TomTom is available.
  • Jay76Jay76 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks Doug
    Hi Jurgen – Is it support from Android that is required? I assume, TomTom are in talks.

Surely TomTom can alter or patch their owned coding to accommodate the Android Auto or Apple IOS CarPlay platforms.

Tech is moving one way for vehicles. I do not understand why, a great navigation system like TomTom with the GO Mobile app does not work or a plan to get it working is in place. In this fast-moving market, users jump ship and do not look back. What’s the old saying, ‘if you snooze you lose!’.
    The TomTom employee and or team who cracks this would Truly understand the market value here and should be on for a great bonus!
  • AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    edited October 2019
    Google hold all the strings when it comes to Android Auto.

TomTom and all the other GPS apps are in the same boat.

You need to ask yourself why would Google let other GPS apps in??

This thing about Android Auto keeps going on and on.

You want to make a difference then go to Google and knock on their doors.

TomTom and other GPS apps have their hands tied.

If you would like to see TomTom as a compatible app for this platform you can voice your remarks over the Android Auto menu.

See info below:

Send feedback about Android Auto

We're always looking for ways to improve Android Auto and would love to hear from you. Tell us what you like, what you don't like, or about bugs you've found.

To send feedback about Android Auto:

1. On your phone, open the Android Auto app Android Auto.
    2. Select select Menu .
    3. Select Help & feedback and then Send feedback.

It is up to user's to get the ball rolling.
    There has to be enough user's sending feed back to get anything to change at Google.....
    Thank you Asprin. I have posted feedback to Android Auto.
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 455 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Someone has to file a EU antitrust claim for Google Andoid(Auto) abuse of power by not giving other navigation vendors access to Andoid Auto.

After this thing can go a lot quicker.
  • GuildNavigatorGuildNavigator Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    edited October 2019
    Asprin wrote: »
    You need to ask yourself why would Google let other GPS apps in??

How about the same reason Apple allows other GPS apps in their Car Play system and allowed the iOS version of TomTom Go already four months ago... Let's see - to stay ahead of the competition or at least offer a product of the same quality?
  • GuildNavigatorGuildNavigator Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    edited October 2019
    Jürgen wrote: »
    As a result, we cannot develop this feature until support for integration with TomTom is available.

Does that mean that the rumors about TomTom Go for Android coming with a Google Auto compatible version some time during 2019 (or whatever is left of this year) are just that - rumors?
    And that version 2.x of TomTom Go for Android that should correspond to the 2.x version of this app for the iOS platform is not under development?
  • Astur48Astur48 Posts: 18 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    There are some news about the incorporation of the implementation of TomTom Go Mobile to Android Car?
    Hi Astur48. Thanks for the message. Could you please confirm your source?
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,388 Community Manager
    edited April 15
    I guess Astur48's post was more of a question so my answer from October still applies at this point of time.

Once we have news to share on this subject we will post it here.
  • Vk1mvVk1mv Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I don’t think tomtom will integrate this on android auto because doing this will kill the tomtom devices they sell in the market. Unlike waze and google....they don’t sell gps devices but only maps.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,772 [Elite Voyager]
    edited May 5
    Hi @Vk1mv

Could you explain the logic of your suggestion that Tomtom will not adopt Android Auto as it will affect their other devices when the IOS App works in CarPlay.

What Jurgen said was that they need support from Android to enable them to provide the facility.

Doug
  • Bartje996Bartje996 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    edited May 21
    Call made today in Android Auto. Now walk with 2 phones. Carplay lacks integration with Mydrive routes. Android Auto lacks Tomtom GO. Deadly sin ....

Mod edit: Machine translated from Dutch
  • NildircNildirc Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    So with Google not opening up Android Auto, I have pieced together a solution that has been rock solid for the past 6 months. It does unfortunately require a bit of technical skill, so not for average Joe.

1plt83fu09yv.jpg

So for my case, I wanted to use TomTom through android auto, exactly replicating a standalone device. My new car had no where suitable to attach (I'm really against having them on the windscreen), yet had a lovely big screen. I also find the stand alone units tediously slow, and the two 5100 I own regularly freeze up. It had to be plug and play and not distract from driving. I wanted to use the car radio and not interested in any other android auto features, so the below may not work for you, although there is no reason this couldn't be adapted to work for your normal phone.

With this in mind, I decided a dedicated phone was the best approach. I got a second hand Sony Z3 Compact - cheap (can leave in the car without worrying about theft), good standby, charges fine over my cars 1A USB, runs new enough android and has enough power. In the UK, I've paired this with a 3 SIM that gives 200mb free data a month. This sits in the glovebox and I've routed a USB cable so it's hidden.

This isn't an idiots guide and assumes technical knowledge. If you have no knowledge, you'll need to google each step for a how to guide.

1. One rooted android phone - stock firmware is fine.
    2. Install android auto, TomTom, Tasker
    3. Install AA Phenotype patcher (enables apps to work with Android Auto) and AAMirror (mirrors phone screen). Both are on github). Using AA Phenotype patcher, patch AAMirror (this enables you to use it in Android Auto).
    4. Set the settings for AAMirror, for me I had to force rotation 90 degrees, set immersive mode, do not request sound focus (i.e. car radio will play, only interrupted for TomTom instructions) and screen brightness to 0 to preserve battery.

On a basic level, this will let you run TomTom (Android Auto --> Apps --> AAMirror), but effectively all this is currently doing is mirroring your phone. The trick is using Tasker to auto launch TomTom and also shut down the phone into airplane mode. My battery lasts ~4 weeks in this mode. This works for my Hyundai, but other models may engage android auto differently (e.g. keep the connection live when the ignition key is out).

These are logic steps:
    Car mode profile - %UIMODE = car (i.e. car is on, android auto active)
    Tasks:
    - shell command (input keyevent 224) - bring up the lock screen
    - wait 2 seconds (phone can lag from deep sleep), (input touchscreen swipe 350 1195 350 300) - swipe the unlock icon
    - Input text <pin code>
    - Turn airplane mode off, set location mode to high accuracy, turn wifi on
    - Launch app "GO" (open tom tom)

Car off mode profile - %UIMODE != car
    Tasks:
    - Wait 20 minutes (quick pop to the shop, fill with petrol etc, I don't want TomTom to shut down and loose the route when I turn the car off immediately).
    - If %UIMODE != Car, then
    -- Kill App "GO"
    -- Turn on airplane mode, turn wifi off, set battery saving mode, turn on staminamode (for sony phone)
    -- Turn off screen, lock phone.

If you wish to go futher, I use AFWall+ to block internet access to every app but GPS & TomTom. This prevents a Google update breaking things, keep my 200mb free data for TomTom traffic, etc. As mentioned at the start, the aim is to replicate a stand-alone unit, but let me use the car interface to manage.

You'll note Tasker unlocks my phone when connected to android auto. This will likely be very device specific and this is obviously a seurity risk (anyone could access the phone by connecting to android auto), so I'd recommend using a different google account.

This is on the new app, but the old one works fine too.
  • MegalosMegalos Posts: 5,878 Superusers
    Thanks a lot, very interesting! Any chance there's something for non-rooted phones as well? :)
  • dobestdobest Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I feel Fustrated! In 2020 and no compatibilty??? serius?