tomtom can't do greece — TomTom Community

tomtom can't do greece

titup2titup2 Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
tomtom's incompetence never ceases to amaze me,..... or is it my incompetence? after failing to find a string of towns in greece, it does not seem to know of the existence of athens airport. i tried all sorts of ways but could only bring up the old and no longer used airport where they built several of the olympic arenas; that is how long the new airport has existed, but tomtom does not seem yet to have registered that. so, if you go to greece relying on a tomtom, it looks like you need to have the lat/long of every place you want to go

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,879
    Superuser
    Hi @titup2

I have the GO5200 and that directs me to the Athens International Airport SE of Spata and the same airport as Google Earth indicates.

What Tomtom unit have you got and what map issue is on it.

Doug
  • titup2titup2 Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
    sorry; no idea of model and it has nothig on it to say. but it is only two years old and should know about an airport that has been there for twenty
    Superuser
    Hi @titup2

Turn the Tomtom on and when working Press and hold the ON/Off button until you have heard the drumroll sound and a screen appear with white writing on it. The second line includes the Seriaal number of the device , which should also be on the device somewhere.

Open following and scroll to the first two letters of your serial number and then you will be advised what model you have.

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508/kw/which Tomtom model do I have

Doug
    found the box; thought i would have kept it. it is start 52 model
    Superuser
    Hi @titup2

Tap menu
    Scroll right
    Tap the Blue Circle with a ? in it.
    Scroll down

What map vision have you got on the device.

Doug
    europe v990.8357 released 04-2017. for athens airport it offers diethnis kratikos aerolimenas; athens international is eleftherios venizelos.
    tried town of markopoulo, thinking it would be signed from there, but the only markopoulo it can offer is 200 miles away.
    i know you have to try to defend tomtom, but it really should not be this difficult to find an international airport. it could not recognise either the town of loutraki, a major seaside resort near corinth; it is like not recognising southend or bournemouth.
    Superuser
    edited October 2019
    Hi @titup2

I am not trying to defend Tomtom. I am a customer just as you are and I was just stating what my device does.

Your map is well out of date and I thought the Start 52 came with Lifetime maps so if I am correct you should be able to update the map to the latest. One problem you may have is that the current Full European map is now too big to fit on your internal memory so you would need to install a Micro SD Class 10 memory card either 16gb or max 32gb to get the full map. If you click on the map in My Drive Connect /My Content you can get smaller cut down versions of the map. If you can find one that covers all the areas you want then you can download the latest of that and it will fit on the internal memory.

On My Device all I do is

Tap Menu
    Tap Search
    Type Athens Airport.
    The left hand column says no results and the right hand column is headed Airports. Do not tap Aiirports as that will give you airports near where you are but Tap the Blue keyboard icon bottom right. This reveals all the suggestions in the right hand column and the second offer for an Airport takes me to Athens International Airport. It only make 1 other suggestion in the right hand column and that is an office in Athens.

Doug
    in that case, many thanks for your help. the machine has indeed told me i don't have enough memory; so i will get an card to improve things. but it still does not alter the fact that this machine is very poor in several ways; oh for my aged Navigon, whose battery failed after 10 years and about 400,000 miles, and which though cheaper never had any problems finding places in greece; it even had a greek keyboard which helped no end.
    will see how things are after installing card, but will not be able to test in greece for 6 months now. but next time i shall take with me the lat/long of athens airport to save the machines inadequacies.
    martin
    Superuser
    edited October 2019
    Hi @titup2

Have you looked at the Mapcode phone App. Mapcodes only work on Tomtom units no doubt because the system was invented by the originators of Tomtom many years a go. To see if it works on your model go to the search page and input DH.FX, include the full stop, and if it recognises it and there is a result accept it. You should now be directed to the middle gate at Buckingham Palace in London. The Mapcodes work world wide and can virtually result in your route taking you to a parking bay in a car park.

If it works input GRC W2.PCM, you need to include the country code as you are not in Greece whilst you are doing this, and that takes you to Athens International Airport. To find this code I input Athens International Airport in the search and it gives an Address, the Mapcode and the Long and Lat.

If you use the Hybrid map in the App you get a Satellite map just like Google Earth and you can move the cursor around the map to the precise point you want and then you get the exact Mapcode you want. Unfortunately Mapcodes are not recognised in My Drive but I can cut and paste the Long/Lat to the My Drive App.

Doug
    your last was, i'm afraid, wasted on the likes of me. i am wrinkly enough that my mobile dates from the ark, is not connected to the net and is only there for emergency use, however, following your helpful advice, i have got and installed memory card. connect still told me i did not have enough memory, but it has updated maps. so we will see whether it knows now where the greek "southend " is in spring. thanks.
    martin
    Superuser
    Hi @titup2

If you have loaded the updated maps why don't you test it now before you go. You don't have to be in Greece to do that .

Doug
    good thinking, jeeves