Maximum "stopovers" — TomTom Community

Maximum "stopovers"

Bart0Bart0 Posts: 19 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
Dear Forum-users, please advice:

I'm trying to create a route (or track) using "stopovers". The word Stopover is a Google-translation from the Dutch word "Tussenstop". I'm sorry if that is not the correct TomTom definition. Anyway...the maximum stopovers is already used after 28 stops/ 53 km / 1.25 hour drive. I can only add a place, not a stopover. It's not my intention to stop 28 times, but I want to create a route myself, without the TomTom proposals. Tomtom send me through fast straights instead of small curly roads.

Only 28 stops seems to be weird, because in october I'm going on a motortrip holiday. On the first day of driving the organization created a route (or track) using 133 (that's right) stopovers on a 433km drive.

What seems to be wrong with my drive? Check picture. Thanks for your advice:

2ZjDSKM.jpg

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,103 Superusers
    edited September 29
    Hi
    @Bart0

Like RoadRider says its even worse than that....
    Yes you can plan a route with 28 stops/waypoints but the Maximum number of stops/waypoints you can sync to the device is 21

Also... You appear to use an excessive amount of stops/waypoints for the route shown in your example... For example stops 16 17 18 19 appear to be a straight road, unless you want to stop at 16 17 18 19 why use 4 of them

When you add the extra Stops... Zoom right into the road view
    Don't put the stop on the wrong side of a dual track road (Journey loop back errors)
    Don't put the stop up a side-road... It may guide you though a built-up area via side streets back to your route, instead of a u-turn
    Don't put the stop on on a traffic Island always place a guidance stop further up road on the route after the traffic island exit

Transfer a route to your NAV4/5 device using a Micro SD Memory Card
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1026286/transfer-a-route-to-your-nav4-5-device-using-a-micro-sd-memory-card

With the "Easy route upload"... You can connect your TomTom Rider to your PC using a USB cable
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1650510/#Comment_1650510

Maybe try the the MyRoute APP (With Gold subscription)
    See...https://www.myrouteapp.com/routelab

For example... 200 Stop .ITN route around the City of Worcester UK
    Planned using the MyRoute APP

959kpgn0xx5r.jpg
    Route Planned on the MyRoute APP
    Click on image to enlarge
    i20pj5p6tky2.png
    Route Planned on the GO 6200
    vldvpwvfgmf5.jpg
    A Zoomed-in section of the Route on the GO 6200
    219l7fu1txxp.jpg
    ATB YFM
  • Bart0Bart0 Posts: 19 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Thx guys, great help!

@RoadRider: I will try Tire. I've just bought the TomTom 550 a couple of months ago. So I need some time to see whats working and what's not. And then to find a way to work around. There is a lot not working in this TomTom software. Sometimes I need the MyDrive app, sometimes the MyDrive web. Both are "so so" . It all takes time. But I'm glad with guys like you.
    Soon we'll be driving from Pijnacker to Hoek van Holland via Schipluiden. We'll try to avoid any N-routes and I promise to behave once we'll driving through Schipluiden. Promise ;) .

@YamFazMan : Thx for your great tip to be accurate while setting the Via-points. What you saw was a concept-track. Just figureing out how stuff works. But your absolutely right. Thx! I will try Myroute. But I think..maybe I allready did. Is that working with a free period? After that you'll pay for the goldmember-MyRoute app? I don't know if I want to pay monthly for an app that I don't use during november till february. I'l try again. Great pics BTW you posted and that is exactly what I want. Maybe I try Tyre first.

Thank you for the help once again.

@TomTom developing-team, are you reading this too? We want "unlimited" via points, and all the other bugs fixed. Thanks! <3
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 298 [Supreme Pioneer]
    MyRoute App becomes a free basic version after the 14 day trail. The basic version uses the OSM map. Tyre also doesn’t use the TomTom map so it doesn’t make a lot of difference.
    Tyre is more difficult to install because of the google api key.

For simple routes both are good enough to use.

When you upgrade to the MRA Gold version you can use the TomTom map and street view. Also comparing your route with all available maps lets you filter out most map errors in your route.
    So this is for more advanced route planning.
    The MRA guys are based in Zoetermeer and have a very good video (webinar) course (also in Dutch) on there site.
    edited September 29
    Hi
    @Bart0

I also use the Free, slightly quirky, but very good ITN Converter

Because of the Google api key, The default Google Maps now throws up an error... But if you clear the error and select say the Tomtom map it all still works

ITN Converter has a huge number of Map types default is Google Maps, the Tomtom Routes Map is included, the ITN Converter also Saves/Exports a huge number of route file types, it will also export straight to the Tomtoms MyDrive Route planner...

The ITN Converter is quirky because it uses It uses two Windows, one with all the save/export options the other, being the "Editor Window" where you plan your routes
    Get ITN Converter here...
    http://www.benichou-software.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&itemid=3&lang=en

There is a Tomtom Map... I also think the ITN Converters ViaMichelin and the Nokia OVI Maps appear to be a good match to Tomtom Maps

ATB YFM
  • danielforniestomtomdanielforniestomtom Posts: 22 TomTom Employee
    Hi there,
    If you want to shape the route but not stop in all those points, have you tried dragging the route in MyDrive Web?
    Best Regards,
    Daniel
  • Bart0Bart0 Posts: 19 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your tip. I'm pretty new (noob) to this. While creating other routes (or tracks) I have experimented with that dragging. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. The area where I will be driving, I know very well. I will be driving that area with a friend this time, so I want to drive new roads, the small roads.

When I drag the proposed route a few times, a big part of the route changes along with that "drag" . And I don't want that. I want to drive all the small roads. When I drag some part to small roads, earlier created parts of the route are dragged too and sometimes back to regular roads. That's not what I'm looking for.

As you can see in the picture I posted, I've set the route on "thrilling", but TomTom still gives me the N-routes. In the Netherlands, where I live, it means that big trucks and cars will be driving there too. Those N-routes have 80km speedlimits and are heavyly used. Not thrilling at all. That's why I want to experiment with via points. The number of 28 points is not enough for a short trip on a thrilling route. Also it's nog enough on a long route. When the 28 point are changed back to 21 points, at least 7 problems will be on my way. But that's experimenting to me. I hope there will be a solution for this in a while.

Dragging is a great tip for driving through an area I don't know. It's also a great solution when I want to create a route easily and fast.

But all tips are very, very welcome to me. Thanks for yours B)

edited October 1
    Hi BartO,

The main reasons for using dragging points in MyDrive Web are:
    - they don't really transform into stops (stops are normally meant for you to actually stop there or see it in the guidance as a relevant location)
    - you have up to 150ish dragging points to be used.

Let me suggest another tip, in case if it helps :-)
    - take the sections of your route you don't want changed and make sure each section is surrounded with 2 stops (basically ensure you have a stop at the beginning and end of each section)
    - try dragging the route in between (outside) those "locked" sections. You should see how that those sections stay pretty much the same while you drag the rest of the route.

Might be a bit of work if the route is quite complex, but should do the trick.

Let me know if that helps a bit :-)
    edited October 1
    Hi
    @danielforniestomtom

I have always understood that with the MyDrive Web Route planner Send Stops (.ITN Routes) did exactly that ???... Send the Stops, and the PND Device planned the route between the Stops using the Route planning options set on the device and any Live Traffic Info that affected the route....

ATB YFM
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @danielforniestomtom

I have always understood that with the MyDrive Web Route planner Send Stops (.ITN Routes) did exactly that ???... Send the Stops, and the PND Device planned the route between the Stops using the Route planning options set on the device and any Live Traffic Info that affected the route....

ATB YFM

Hi YamFazMan,

Sending stops indeed sends the big waypoints (start + large blue circles + end), but not the dragged waypoints.
    For now, if you want to sync an accurate representation of a complex route you planned with a combination of stops and dragged waypoints, maybe it's best to save the route into My Routes and sync it to your device from there, so the device can follow that exact path you planned.

Best Regards,
    Daniel
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 298 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Hi
    @danielforniestomtom

Now I get also confused.

Sending the route in MyDrive will convert the route to a track.
    TomTom tracks support stops. But the track import algorithm filters out U-turns in side roads to be compatible with downloaded tracks. (This filtering is needed if a track is created with another map (map offset) or recorded in an area with urban canyons)
    This makes the change you miss Stops driving a track very big.

With a route you do not have ‘this problem. But MyDrive only support Send Destinations max 20.
    And the GOR backend supports 5 types of WayPoints sending destinations. Bur only HARD WayPoints are working. Max 21. (Please increase this amount the PND supports 255)

So I use routes when I need to stop at multiple stops.
    But in most cases I drive tracks to follow a round trip over the planed roads.
    edited October 1
    Hi
    @danielforniestomtom

Here's an extreme example... Using dragged waypoints....
    Mydrive Web Route Planner
    y6pdd6thd1ll.jpg
    Route Transferred to GO 6200
    Using MDW Save & Sync (.GPX Track) option
    Most of the Stops are missed
    gv2csuxha4t9.jpg

ATB YFM