Go Camper - first impressions — TomTom Community

Go Camper - first impressions

Having really got fed up with being sent down narrow country lanes and getting nowhere with TomTom support, I decided to bite the bullet and get a GO Camper. I haven't actually had chance to use it on the road yet, but I created a couple of test routes where I have had problems with my GO 6200 and I'm pleased to say that it avoided the dreaded roads and instead, stuck to main roads. Also, the European map downloaded and installed in about half an hour so that's pretty good too. I'll have a chance to use it on the road next Tuesday when I'm back at work, but so far, all seems good.

Comments

• Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 231 [Exalted Navigator]
    I bought a Go Camper for the same reasons; viz being sent down unsuitable roads ;), but I have not seen any major improvements and still regularly get sent down roads where literally there is only space for one vehicle............ :'(

Would be interested to hear of your experiences and what settings you are using?

ps I even upgraded to a Go 6250 and used the Truck Setting with an axle weight of 11 tonnes, and although it did avoid some of the narrower lanes I got sent on some weird and wonderful routes which I worked out was partly due to the 7.5t road sign placements!
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,285
    Superuser
    Hi @Lost_Soul

What dimensions etc have you set for the Campervans light or heavy and assume you have selected one of them as the vehicle type.

Doug
    Hi @DougLap

I am currently using the Camper (Heavy) mode.

The device has the following settings, viz:

Dimensions L/W/H in metres 6.5 / 2.5 / 2.75
    Weights (Gross / Axle in t) 3.5 / 2.5
    Max Speed (mph) 100

I have tried changing the Gross Weight to 5 ( which is the maximum catered for by Tomtom) but again no major difference noted and I am still routed through narrow lanes. ;)
    Superuser
    HI @Lost_Soul

Apart form upping the L/W/H figures a bit I would definitely up the axle weight as well as the gross weight above 3500 as the latter is the limit for the Light Camper. I assume you have input the 100mph to try and encourage it take the faster roads, it might be an idea to set the normal UK speed limit in case it cannot recognise sucha high speed.

I have not tried it but why not also test what happens if you set a large caravan.

Doug
    edited September 2019
    Hi @DougLap

I have tried many permutations of most settings including the car plus caravan and the settings that have effect are the height and the width, but for the latter only on the roads which have a known width restriction barrier. ( I will reset the speed limit back to the National Speed limit ;) )

On the Go Camper whatever the settings used I still am sent down narrow lanes locally. Obviously Tomtom is regarding these as wider than the vehicle settings, but in reality the road width may only be a few feet wider than the car.

Ideally if we could see a map which shows road width information one could then manipulate the vehicle width settings (max width that the device will accept is 2.6 metres), but sadly I do not believe such a map or information readily exists!
    Superuser
    Hi @Lost_Soul

Okay. One comment you have made is that it sends you down narrow roads Locally. I think this is likely to happen when for example when I am using the Go Camper and I am being directed to a campsite or a Motorhome Aire you will get narrow roads as you near the destination as there is not really any sensible alternative. The only thing is the Garmin units do tend to indicate that the road they are now having to direct you along to get to your destination may be problematic.

Doug
    Hi @DougLap

I said locally as my journeys are typically 90% Motorway and my final destination is usually a short distance from the nearest Junction, so there are no narrow lanes for the Tomtom to guide me to :) .

But for example going to my local takeaway / parcel drop off shop; then irritatingly the Tomtom tries to direct me down local narrow width roads and lanes where there are sensible alternatives. :)

Yes the Garmin units do give more detailed instructions, but fall a bit behind on traffic and more importantly for me, road / junction closures and roadworks on the Motorways late at night when 95% of my journeys take place, so have reverted back to Tomtom but the jury is always out and recently my Tomtom devices have been giving me random irritations in addition to the narrow lanes scenario.

- i.e. random ALG, losing voice instructions totally, traffic delays not being accounted for and a very random occurrence of not reporting certain speed cameras :'( (will start another thread on this last point).
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    The only setting in Camper (Heavy) that I changed was to set the Max. speed (mph) to zero.
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @Lost_Soul

Okay. One comment you have made is that it sends you down narrow roads Locally. I think this is likely to happen when for example when I am using the Go Camper and I am being directed to a campsite or a Motorhome Aire you will get narrow roads as you near the destination as there is not really any sensible alternative. The only thing is the Garmin units do tend to indicate that the road they are now having to direct you along to get to your destination may be problematic.

Doug

The problematic roads should be showing up as being coloured magenta. Is that not what you are seeing?
    Lost_Soul, can you give details of the route you have mentioned, i.e. "But for example going to my local takeaway / parcel drop off shop; then irritatingly the Tomtom tries to direct me down local narrow width roads and lanes where there are sensible alternatives" so that I can check to see what route my device would choose?
    Hi @BrianE (Sorry for delay but I did not get the notification as you forgot the @symbol before my user name☺)

Yes, I do see the magenta coloured roads on my devices which indicates a problematic road........ but the roads I get sent down obviously Tomtom does not regard as being problematic ;)

If you plot a route from Bricket Wood (Herts) to Abbots Supermarket in Abbots Langley.

Which is my parcel shop drop off point - the local takeaway is very near in the High Street; my Go Camper "usually" (if there is no local traffic delays on the A405) attempts to send me down Chequers Lane, which is marked as being "Unsuitable for Heavy Goods Vehicles" and is very narrow 'in places' such that only one vehicle can pass:

sdhq39f7u2nj.png

(As an aside my Go Camper and my Go 6250 have been operating oddly since the latest map update and sending me on unnecessarily and erroneous routes which I note other users have also reported)

I always ignore the instructions to go through Chequers Lane and instead carry on the A405 and then turn Right into Horseshoe Lane.

If you plot the route using MyDrive (Windows PC - based) that also navigates you through Chequers Lane using either the Light/Heavy Camper settings.

Will be interested to see what your device chooses.