SIm card does not work - what can I do? — TomTom Community

SIm card does not work - what can I do?

THE SIM card in the device does not work. The device cannot be connected to the Internet. What can I do?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• MilanZitnyMilanZitny Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Doug, thank you very much for your advice. I reset the device to its original factory position and it works again properly.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,726
    Superuser
    Hi @MilanZitny

Your welcome. Pleased you are sorted.

Doug
  • Chris_1948Chris_1948 Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
    I just paid for another year's services, connected the tomtom go 1005 Live to my laptop and it reported 3 updates. Installed the updates, after the install the SIM card stopped working. When in 'Connection Status' MCC/MNC: , SIM ID: , IMEI: , Model: are all blank, and it just says 'Status: CONNECTING' but doesn't.

I have tried soft resetting the device and setting it back to factory, but the problem persists. Does anyone have a fix for this?
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 14,664
    Superusers
    Hi Chris_1984
    I think the Support can help you.

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
    Lochfrass wrote: »
    Hi Chris_1984

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134

Lochfrass wrote: »
    Hi Chris_1984

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134

Here is part of the reply from support:
    As I can see in our system that live services is already expired on 07/06/2018. I would like to inform you that all the TomTom Live Devices has an in-built SIM Card. After 18 months of not using LIVE services the SIM card in the device will be deactivated automatically. So if the last LIVE subscription ended on 01-02-2016 the SIM card will be deactivated on 01-08-2017. WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I DON'T REACTIVATE LIVE SERVICES? Click Here: https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/live-sim/

So there you have it, use it or lose it! So anyone out there who due to illness or getting a company car etc who doesn't renew their live subscription for 18 months will have the SIM card tuned off. The rest of the reply was just confirming the refund of my live subscription, and offering discount should I wish to purchase a new unit. I don't remember that bit of information being clearly relayed to me at the time of purchase. Which begs the question, what else don't they tell you, so why would I buy another one?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,242
    Superusers
    edited December 2019
    Hi
    @Chris_1948

In UK & (Europe?) Tomtom use a Vodafone SIM
    This end of service process is no different to any of the other Phone service providers, after 'n' Weeks (Various) of 'Zero use' they set the SIM to Sleep Mode, then after a further 'n' Weeks (Various) they disable the SIM....
    I can imagine there must have been, or still could be, thousands if not tens of thousands, of Tomtom Live devices out there, which have no Live Services Subscriptions and everyone of those systems is pointlessly logging in and out of the network every time the device is used
    To me it makes environmental sense to shut-down redundant SIM's
    Also as far as I'm aware the SIM card is automatically disconnected after 18 months without use... Tomtom sends Emails the affected users and give 28 days notice before deactivating the SIM card

ATB YFM
    edited December 2019
    Just been doing some research. Garmin don't have this problem, on their -D devices, they use the digital radio network to get live events. On the -S devices they link to your mobile for live events, with no subscription required on either. Like TomTom they update maps etc directly over WiFi.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,242
    Superusers
    edited January 2020
    Hi
    @Chris_1948

I do not have a problem with the SIM or the live Traffic on any of my Tomtom Live devices
    I do not have a problem with the Bring Your Own Connection for Live BYOC Traffic devices connected over Mobile Phone

Tomtom Live devices update the Live Traffic every 2 Minutes....

ATB YFM