Camper/caravan route planning in MyDrive — TomTom Community

Camper/caravan route planning in MyDrive

BrianEBrianE Posts: 542 [Exalted Navigator]
Although I have never driven a camper van or towed a caravan, I was curious to see what type of routes MyDrive would suggest when using these types of vehicles. Q: Do you think that one of the suggested roads on the test route is suitable for a caravan? For comparison, I have added a screenshoot of the route I would use. You can see that they are roughly the same distance, but TomTom's estimate of the travelling time would be way off as there is no way you could travel at 60mph along the road they have chosen, especially if towing a caravan. If the sat navs are employing the same logic, then it's no wonder their route planning is so poor at times.
3a2i7bm9imlw.png
g47fjag2tja8.png
0ua79a4ch56z.png

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,888
    Superuser
    Hi @BrianE

What dimensions etc have you got set for the RV.

If I click on the Truck Icon the routing is via the M5 for most of the way . If I set the RV setting to above 3500 kg it then follows the same route as the Truck setting.

It seems that if you have the RV set at 3500 kg or less, or with no dimensions set, it seems to follow a car type route however my My Drive has not sent me along the same route as you are showing.

Doug
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 542 [Exalted Navigator]
    I think this has inadvertently gon
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @BrianE

What dimensions etc have you got set for the RV.

If I click on the Truck Icon the routing is via the M5 for most of the way . If I set the RV setting to above 3500 kg it then follows the same route as the Truck setting.

It seems that if you have the RV set at 3500 kg or less, or with no dimensions set, it seems to follow a car type route however my My Drive has not sent me along the same route as you are showing.

Doug

I haven't got anything set as I don't have a truck device. I was just simply carrying out, as a matter of curiousity, a test route using MyDrive to see what route it would plan for larger vehicles