TomTom app V1.29 with traffic information still works perfectly with iOS 13 — TomTom Community

TomTom app V1.29 with traffic information still works perfectly with iOS 13

nigelbbbnigelbbb Posts: 40 [Outstanding Explorer]
I am still using the original TomTom iPhone app as I tried using TomTom GO Mobile but found it markedly inferior. Before TomTom stopped selling traffic subscriptions I bought & stacked up a couple of years worth & have been happily using the app for the last couple of years. I just upgraded my iPhone 6s Plus to iOS 13 & am delighted that the original TomTom Navigation with traffic info works just as well as ever.

My big regret is that I didn't pre-purchase even more months of subscription for traffic info as mine runs out on 1st January 2020 & I will finally have to migrate to TomTom GO Mobile & take advantage of the 3 years free subscription upgrade. Hopefully in the last couple of years the app will have improved & won't e.g. have the terrible lag with maps & directions that I experienced when using TomTom GO Mobile a couple of years ago.

I still don't understand why TomTom dropped this great app & in particular I don't understand why TomTom won't take my money for traffic subscription. I would happily pay more than the £1.99/month I paid a couple of years ago yet when I migrate to TomTom GO Mobile I won't pay any money for at least 3 years.

Answers

• AinsAins Posts: 29 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I wish I had done this. I bought a few months of traffic but when that ran out I moved to the vastly inferior new app.

It's taken until now for TT to make the new app even close to the old one. You'll still be a little frustrated when you move, I suspect, but the latest version and updates have, at last, tackled most of the fundamental operational issues

Don't bother spending weeks trialling other apps - trust me, there aren't any that will get you back to the old TT app. I've tried them all and every one has some issue with some aspect. I'd suggest just move to the new TT and grin and bear any deficiencies.
  • EdselEdsel Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
    Ains wrote: »
    It's taken until now for TT to make the new app even close to the old one. You'll still be a little frustrated when you move, I suspect, but the latest version and updates have, at last, tackled most of the fundamental operational issues.

Would most of you give TomTom's current app a "pass," or a "fail?"

• nigelbbbnigelbbb Posts: 40 [Outstanding Explorer]
    edited January 2020
    I've now been using the TomTom GO Navigation app on my iPhone for the last 3 weeks & can give it a pass (just). I would still prefer be using the original app if Traffic was still available as it's more familiar & a little faster & slicker in use.

I'm glad that I didn't migrate to the awful TomTom GO Mobile as TomTom wanted us to but stacked up a couple of years of Traffic which was all working perfectly on the original app until 31st December 2019 when the subscription ran out.

I haven't so far found a single thing in the new app that has been improved. The map layout is less clear & entering destinations is more fiddly. It does however pretty much do what the original app does although it's a bit laggy on junctions but I'm running it on an iPhone 6s Plus & maybe it would be snappier on a newer & faster iPhone.

My biggest irritation is that I cannot migrate over any of the favourite destinations that I have entered over the last 10 years.

I am at least thankful that I got the 3 years free subscription as promised & kudos to lampard for sorting this out as it initially looked like it was only possible to get this with a migration from the original iPhone app to the now defunct TomTom GO Mobile.

It's ironic that with all the extra work & expense of developing not one but two apps to replace the original iPhone app that the charge for the subscription here in the UK is now £12.99 per year when I would still be happy with the original app & paying £1.99/month ie £23.88 or nearly double to continue using the old familiar app.
  • EdselEdsel Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
    Good to hear it's not a total disaster.

I'm hopeful that they'll listen to their user base and bring back the slick functionality that the better version had, in future upgrades.
  • Pablo1980Pablo1980 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    or maybe someone knows I changed the iPhone to 11 z10 sent the data to a new one and the navigation is not working for me can someone help
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 377 [Supreme Pioneer]
    edited January 2020
    nigelbbb wrote: »
    My biggest irritation is that I cannot migrate over any of the favourite destinations that I have entered over the last 10 years.
    As you've discovered, it's best to store your most used places in an .OV2 file rather than favourites! However, all is not lost

What you need
    iMazing (Windows or Mac)
    POIEdit (Windows only)

What you are looking for is the mapsettings.cfg file. Let's presume that you're using the UK & Ireland version. The mapsettings.cfg file is located in the following place:

UK - Ireland (app)
    Documents (folder)
    United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland (map folder)
    mapsettings.cfg (file)

One of the things that the mapsettings.cfg file contains in the names and coordinates of all of your favourites. You can use POIEdit (Windows only) to extract the data you need and create it into an .OV2 file

I have done this in the past, but I've been Mac only for a few years and have forgotten how to do it on a Windows PC.

If anybody knows of a Mac or online editor for mapsettings.cfg then please let me know in this thread!

Once you have your favourites in an .OV2 file I'll tell you how to use .OV2 files with TomTom GO iOS.

Regards,
  • nigelbbbnigelbbb Posts: 40 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I'm Mac only too so it seems there is no easy solution for me although I do have a Windows system running under VMware Fusion that I could fire up if necessary. I don't have that many favourite so currently the only solution is to create new ones in the new app.
    One irritation is that searching on a Contact I find one address works fine in the old app but comes up as invalid with the new app.
    No, I wouldn't recommend creating new favourites in the new app. Either:
    1. If you have a lot of favourites, use Virtual Windows on your Mac for POIEdit to extract the favourites.
    2. Make a manual list of your favourites.

I keep all of my POIs in MS Excel spreadsheets, which are my master lists.

For a Master List, you need a minimum of 3 columns: Latitude; Longitude; and Name. I use a lot more, but those 3 columns will do.

Fill the Master List .XLSX spreadsheet with your POIs' details.

Save a new copy of the Master List .XLSX spreadsheet as a UTF-8 .CSV file

Download and instal GPSBabel and use it to convert the UTF-8 .CSV file into an .OV2 file.

You then download an iOS app called POIViewer, which isn't free but only costs £3.99. POIViewer is a POI manager, you find your POI in POIViewer and get it to send directions to TomTom GO.

The POIViewer is the best method that I've found for TomTom iOS app. The disadvantages are that POIs aren't shown on the TomTom screens - but they wouldn't have been shown anyway and that the POI name isn't transferred for lookup in Recent Destinations. However, apart from the two minor issues, POIViewer is excellent.

If you have any other questions then don't hesitate to shout.

Regards,
    nigelbbb wrote: »
    One irritation is that searching on a Contact I find one address works fine in the old app but comes up as invalid with the new app.
    I tend to navigate to a POI rather than contacts, which is why TomTom's lack of POI support for iOS app really angers me!

I use Google Earth, StreetView, and Open Street Maps to find the location of every POI and to ensure that I've got its coordinates correct.

My Master List Excel .XLSX spreadsheet uses the Latitude, Longitude, and Name columns to create a URL that places a pointer on TomTom MyDrive map to ensure that the location is on a road in a TomTom map.

Regards,