Bluetooth connectivity with Wi-Fi devices and iOS 13

1181920212224»

Comments

• GregPL
    GregPL Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Three years - iPhone has released new phones, iOS new software versions, no problem with thousands of other BT devices.
    No progress in solving the problem in TT.
    Still not connecting to iPhone, still not working as it should, still hardware worthless in terms of communication.

In the 21st century, the customer still means nothing.

Three years, nothing has changed.

Shame.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,940
    Superuser
    Hi @GregPL

I don't have any issue Bluetooth connecting my iPhones, IOS13 and later, to my TT devices. Al I do is go to Personal Hotspot in the iPhones Settings and Turn it ON. I then go to Bluetooth in Settings and turn that On and then go to Bluetooth in the TT units Settings and Tap Add a Phone. When the TT unit appears at the bottom of the Bluetooth page on the iPhone I Tap it then select Part on it and the TT unit when they appear. Now provided I have both Bluetooth and Personal Hotspot turned On on the Iphone the TT unit connects to my iPhone.

Although you select Personal Hotspot on the iPhone at no point are you asked for the Personal Hotspot Password nor does the TT show that it has connected to the Personal Hotspot within Wifi. If you do not have Personal Hotspot tuned on when connecting via Bluetooth to the TT unit then the connection will not be made.

Since Apple issued IOS 13 the messaging option has not been available on the TT units but where the option is available on the TT unit handsfree telecom is available.

Doug
  • gs2offroad
    gs2offroad Registered Users Posts: 29
    Prominent Wayfarer
    GregPL wrote: »
    Three years - iPhone has released new phones, iOS new software versions, no problem with thousands of other BT devices.
    No progress in solving the problem in TT.
    Still not connecting to iPhone, still not working as it should, still hardware worthless in terms of communication.

In the 21st century, the customer still means nothing.

Three years, nothing has changed.

Shame.

@GregPL
    It's clear TT has given up on further development of these devices. Workarounds are all we are left with. Sad!
  • aliasGEB
    aliasGEB Registered Users Posts: 42
    Renowned Wayfarer
    edited January 30
    Moved to android with no problem... anyhow TT is a bulxxxxx device due to in 2022 no app workable on iOS.. so age behind the customers needs
  • Strommino
    Strommino Registered Users Posts: 12
    Master Explorer
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @GregPL

I don't have any issue Bluetooth connecting my iPhones, IOS13 and later, to my TT devices. Al I do is go to Personal Hotspot in the iPhones Settings and Turn it ON. I then go to Bluetooth in Settings and turn that On and then go to Bluetooth in the TT units Settings and Tap Add a Phone. When the TT unit appears at the bottom of the Bluetooth page on the iPhone I Tap it then select Part on it and the TT unit when they appear. Now provided I have both Bluetooth and Personal Hotspot turned On on the Iphone the TT unit connects to my iPhone.

Although you select Personal Hotspot on the iPhone at no point are you asked for the Personal Hotspot Password nor does the TT show that it has connected to the Personal Hotspot within Wifi. If you do not have Personal Hotspot tuned on when connecting via Bluetooth to the TT unit then the connection will not be made.

Since Apple issued IOS 13 the messaging option has not been available on the TT units but where the option is available on the TT unit handsfree telecom is available.

Doug

However, this is not the connection for which TOMTOM was born, you should read messages, answer phone calls, see who is calling you, not just know if there is traffic ....

• DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Strommino

As I said Handsfree works but not messaging.

Doug
  • aliasGEB
    aliasGEB Registered Users Posts: 42
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Yes Doug

as already showed... so it is not working as it have to do... so it is not working well... but this is the maximum we could reach... a navigator that is nothing more than this, not what was in the description of this item...

lamps
  • Strommino
    Master Explorer
    edited January 28
    @DougLap let me understand… you have established a simple data connection and does the speakerphone work for you? and how do you do? can you please make us a video to understand how to do it? because either your TOMTOM is special or ours have some problems ...
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Strommino

I have a GO 5200 and a GO Camper and if I connect them to my iPhone via Bluetooth using the method I have described I can use the units as handsfree units. On both if I have an incoming call I hear it through the TT units speakers etc and speaker via them.. As the My Drive App can no longer be used as part of the Pairing process following the release of IOS 13 it is not now possible to get messages etc via the devices.

Doug
  • Nigel A
    Nigel A Registered Users Posts: 127
    Renowned Trailblazer
    I think you will find that most of this conversation applies to the Rider 550, this was a "downgraded" replacement for the rider 400 series. at a very expensive price. The rider 550 is as good as any Aldi Thursday special, but at a much higher price, and without any working frills. The traffic workaround, was from a member of this forum, and "adopted" by Tomtom. Tomtom have very little working knowledge of their units, and technical help is just a wast of time. Its a shame as the rider setup is quite nice, the unit itself is pretty good, its just Tomtoms lack of support, lack of any working knowledge of their devices, and non existent upgrades to sort out the basic problems.
  • Strommino
    Master Explorer
    I wonder, however, if we are talking about rider 550, why intervene talking about other navigators, so that ideas get confused, you can hear the voice of your interlocutors from the speakers of your TOMTOM, but this cannot be done on the bike ... therefore the your opinion does not help in this case, on the contrary, it only confuses ideas, if you had not said what navigators you are talking about, we would never have understood how your device worked ...
  • GregPL
    GregPL Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    edited January 30
    Idea for TT550 was to sit on motorbike, do not move phone from Your pocket. TT should connect automatically via BT and take controll for phone cals, messages read, traffic update for navi.
    Route planning from phone in easy way using app and upload to the TT550. That was in the unit spec. That's why I paid that money for this unit.
    I expect that TT will fix all issues in the meant time. Now I see three years is not enough.
    Bulls**t, customer is not important.
    Product sold, topic closed.