Bluetooth connectivity issues for Wi-Fi devices and iOS 13 - Page 6 — TomTom Community

Bluetooth connectivity issues for Wi-Fi devices and iOS 13

Comments

• Nigel ANigel A Posts: 100 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    So having said that Bluetooth hands free free was working ..... went for a little run round the M25 and guess what ! lost Bluetooth connection, did get it back after a lot of sodding around, lasted for 30 seconds and no more Bluetooth hands free. Have traffic still via hot spot, but am rather pissed off with all this. Haven t been offered 13.3 yet. don't understand why I can have a reliable hands free for 2 days, then lose it permanently.
    So having said that Bluetooth hands free free was working ..... went for a little run round the M25 and guess what ! lost Bluetooth connection, did get it back after a lot of sodding around, lasted for 30 seconds and no more Bluetooth hands free. Have traffic still via hot spot, but am rather pissed off with all this. Haven t been offered 13.3 yet. don't understand why I can have a reliable hands free for 2 days, then lose it permanently.
  • GreatLakesTONYGreatLakesTONY Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    just an update: iOS 13.2.2 still doesn't provide internet access to MyDrive and Traffic through BT - isn't not a great "me-too" moment :(
  • juresjures Posts: 82 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Its not ios issue its tomtom app issue...
  • John84scJohn84sc Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Turn on your personal hotspot on your mobile device.

You’re welcome 😉
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,153
    Superuser
    edited November 2019
    jures wrote: »

Works perfectly with IOS12 but does not with IOS13 and you say it is not an IOS issue. There is something in IOS 13 that fails to support what IOS 12 does, and still does, so there is now an issue for Tomtom users.

Doug
  • John84scJohn84sc Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Turn on your HOTSPOT on your mobile device.

You’re welcome 😉
    Superuser
    Hi @John84sc

I have sent you a PM.

Doug
  • AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 275 [Supreme Navigator]
    John84sc wrote: »
    Turn on your personal hotspot on your mobile device.

You’re welcome 😉

Well, if you do that you will soon find that the Tomtom device eat up all your data contract ... When on a wifi network the Tomtom communicates a lot more, several Gbytes on a 300 km trip ...

Wifi sound good but isn't ...

Just my experience.

/Anders
    Don't have a problem with the hot spot, but this will only give you traffic NOT hands free. As for data usage most systems use wifi data the old FM RDS appears to be phasing out what information there is, is inferior to wifi data systems. so good traffic information will cost. Hot spot turned on or not (And yes, Apple is a pain) will not give hands free or headphone Bluetooth connections.
    Superuser
    edited November 2019
    Hi @AndersNordh

That amount of data is way above what Traffic should use. What else were you running at the same time. The suggested figure for traffic data based on a daily use for about an hour a day during peak traffic times is 7MB per month.

See following

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1576

Doug
    That amount of data is way above what Traffic should use. What else were you running at the same time. The suggested figure for traffic data based on a daily use for about an hour a day during peak traffic times is 7MB per month.

Doug[/quote]

Agree with Doug, my Apple uses very little data, my last Samsung however, I had to keep the data turned off, as it seemed to be continually doing all sorts of updates !!
  • AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 275 [Supreme Navigator]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @AndersNordh

See following

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1576

Doug

Hi, the high bandwidth usage when running over wifi was quite normal according to Tomtom support, please see https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1039007/rider-550-using-a-lot-of-bandwidth-while-riding
    Have a nice day,
    Anders
    Superuser
    Hi Anders

Thanks for that. I find that a little odd and will be making some enquires about it.

I do not have a Rider unit but with the Car devices I have when joined up to Wifi my impression is that the GPS, Map and Software updates etc are only downloaded when I ask for them to be downloaded and also in what order I want them to be delivered in. I can be advised for days there are downloads available before I instruct the unit to get them.

I would be surprised if the Riders work any differently but let’s see.

Doug
    I have a Rider 550, and data is minimal for traffic. Updates are offered while on hotspot, but need to be accepted. I have used hot spot for small updates like speed cameras but to no great data loss. I would not use hotspot for map updates as that then would be a very large usage (For me !) . My total hot spot usage halfway through my month is 24MB I should point out though, this is usually, but not exclusively for weekend motorbike rides (but then again I always use traffic on the M25 / A2 ) of. Did have hotspot on for a long weekend out to Luxembourg and cant say I noticed any great difference.
    Superuser
    Hi @AndersNordh

I understand the incident ticket relative to the advice you were given about data consumption is been investigated for the following reasons..

The new the GO WIFi range along with the RIDER 500 series have pretty much the same behavior when it comes to data consumption.

Updating maps, main speed camera files and application software etc cannot be carried out during the navigation process..

GPS Location is obviously derived from the build in GPS chip and that does not require a data connection.

When attached to a Wifi source including a phone hotspot you can either update the device or use it for navigation as it is not possible to do both at the same time. When you connect your device to do updates you are advised of their availability and then have to choose to accept them. If it was possible to update whilst navigating then there was an interruption, in your case let us say you stopped during the trip and walked out of Hotspot range, then the risk is that you would lose your map completely. That is one very good reason for not being able to do updating without you knowing.

Whilst navigating the only background data consumption would be for Traffic and speed cameras, the latter being additional info re the likes of Mobile cameras.

Doug
  • FndbdbdbdbdbdFndbdbdbdbdbd Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Maybe Tom Tom can get their **** together and resolve this issue to avoid a class action lawsuit. Why spend $300 on a paperweight
  • juresjures Posts: 82 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    DougLap wrote: »
    jures wrote: »

Works perfectly with IOS12 but does not with IOS13 and you say it is not an IOS issue. There is something in IOS 13 that fails to support what IOS 12 does, and still does, so there is now an issue for Tomtom users.

Doug

Exactly! Its tomtoms job to update apps to IOS, they did the same for ios 10,11,12.....
    Its part of developmet, all other apps (including navigation apps) were ready for IOS update!
  • 66mpg66mpg Posts: 12 [Master Traveler]
    Having struggled all day on Wednesday with the Bluetooth connection between my Go Basic and iPhone SE (iOS 13.2.2) I tried using the WiFi hotspot on the iPhone. That works for traffic; the problem being that other apps that I have set to only download via WiFi see the hotspot and help themselves to data. I have an old Samsung phone. I installed MyDrive on it. As I don’t have a SIM for it I pointed it at the iPhone hotspot, having made the TomTom forget the iPhone hotspot. It worked fine over Bluetooth to the Samsung. I have a PAYG data SIM on order and will use the Samsung until such time as an update from either Apple or TomTom fixes this clusterf*ck.

I have wasted a lot of time trying to get this working while I thought I was doing something wrong when it was happening to loads of people everywhere.