Bluetooth connectivity issues for Wi-Fi devices and iOS 13 - Page 5 — TomTom Community

Bluetooth connectivity issues for Wi-Fi devices and iOS 13

Comments

• aliasGEBaliasGEB Posts: 35 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Got 2 days ago a 550 Rider after Garmin issue!!!
    Well now we have the same situation.... no support after iOS 13 updated for my navi.... Bluetooth and MyDrive are not working and for sure I’m not alone as iPhone and Mac user
    Waiting for a software update supporting all the function showed in a previous versione that convinced me to change in to Tomtom
    Thanks
  • andygibbs55andygibbs55 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    same problem with BT but have solved (for my needs) by using WiFi from my phones "hot spot" this tethering has been very reliable and supports traffic and updates not the full package but workable until issue resolved.

One small quirk, the first time you want to connect the device after sleep/turned off you must turn off the iphone hot spot, once your device is awake switch hot spot on and it will connect fine.
  • Nigel ANigel A Posts: 99 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    If your using an iphone the hotspot "goes to sleep" if it has no connection. On my iphone se I only have to open the hotspot settings page, I don't actually have to turn it off and on. If that's of any help.
  • B van BreukelenB van Breukelen Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm completely lost. And I see my (your) issue repeating over an over again. Just to let TomTom know...
    I have got a Iphone 11 Pro and on iOS 13.2
    1. I cannot get the bluetooth to work. It connects only the hands free part. The 'data' and messages are not working. Tried everything, resetting (phone and tomtom) reinstalling my drive and so on. Sometimes it works, for like 1 minute.
    2. Second option is using WIFI hotspot. It connects to my hotspot WIFI, but doesn't connect to Traffic and Mydrive (service not available). Weird thing is, when I connect to my home WIFI, it works! (It even works with my wife her iPhone X (but not the bluetooth).

Is it apple? is it TomTom? I know the 11 (Pro) has te latest wifi (6) option, but this should be backward compatible. All my other Bluetooth stuff just works.. Also Wifi Hotspot works fine for my other devices...
    On my Rider 520 and iphone se. Bluetooth will never work until (if) they do something. I disconnect Bluetooth (unpair) as I have found it can kick out the wifi hotspot traffic. Home wifi, I also "forget" as this also seems to foul up the hotspot connection ? (still use home wifi for updates etc.) hotspot Traffic does not need the my drive app. (Tomtom confirm this. for some reason it is required for Bluetooth phone connection - which doesn't work anyway!) If I have the hotspot connection ok but get "service unavailable" its usually not a good enough phone signal. I defiantly get traffic with a 4G signal not sure about anything less. Like most owners this is all hit or miss, so this may,or may not be of help. Dont forget that your iphone may need to be "Waken up" if it goes out of range. I still think this is something to do with the Tomtom app. Good luck to all that linger here !!!
  • ChrispybChrispyb Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    So having wasted further time following TomTom’s request to reset, reinstall and set up Bluetooth yet again they have finally admitted they have a problem that they have been unable to resolve since the IOS upgrade in September. I’ve just received exactly the same wording as other forum members.

“This is Katie following up with you.

.... I have now discussed this issue with our 2nd line technical team and we do have same issue reported by some other customers as well. Based on this we have created a ticket to be investigated on this and forwarded it to the developers.

Our developers are actively looking into this issue impacting some owners of some TomTom devices. I regret that at this time they have not determined the underlying cause and cannot therefore give me any reference point on when they will have the issue fixed.

We continue to investigate the issue and look forward to pushing an update via MyDrive / Updates and New Items on device to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

In the interim please accept my sincere apologies for any and all frustrations incurred.

With Kind Regards

Katie
    Customer Service Representative“

Yet they are STILL SELLING the GO 520 and other similar products on their website, knowing full well that traffic doesn’t work with iOS.

This situation is appalling. How can a big name company do this legally?

If I don’t get a resolution soon I will be asking for a refund and I will, if necessary, refer this to Trading Standards. The product is not of merchantable quality.

I am absolutely appalled that TomTom are behaving in this manner. They really are the pits.

• GuntherVGuntherV Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    edited November 2019
    Same problem here, and first line helpdesk has been very helpful and understanding. But technical service thinks we are idiots. Let me explain : since none of the proposed steps solved the problem, I was asked to send my TT Rider 500 to the technical service to ‘examin’ the problem. Everything I had tried was noted in my ticket, I told them about this discussion (even sent them the link) and explained that a new update of the TT firmware was necessary.
    After 2 days, I received a package from TT. They said my (3 months old) TT was irrepairable, and they sent me a refurbished example (?). Not a word about the Bluetooth connection, iOS or live traffic. I installed the new (not so new) TT to find out nothing had changed : no live traffic, no Bluetooth. So again, they think we’re idiots and have no respect for their clients. WAKE UP TOMTOM!
    Had a similar problem years back with a Garmin unit. Sent it back, got back a "refurbish" unit with the same problem ! - Watch out for this though as I suspect you no longer have a sale of goods contract with the supplier. Cant help wondering if this is done on purpose to protect the retailer. I think the "irreparable" bit simply means they never even looked at it.
  • GuntherVGuntherV Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    There is no serial number on my invoice, so hopefully warranty is not a problem. The fact that I received another device after 2 days indicates that they didn’t even bother to look at the one I sent, nor did they check the problem didn’t occur on the referbished device. I asked the helpdesk why I had to send in my new device if they didn’t bother to look at the real problem
  • GreatLakesTONYGreatLakesTONY Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    edited November 2019
    I have got a Iphone 11 Pro and on iOS 13.2
    1. I cannot get the bluetooth to work. It connects only the hands free part. The 'data' and messages are not working. Tried everything, resetting (phone and tomtom) reinstalling my drive and so on. Sometimes it works, for like 1 minute.
    2. Second option is using WIFI hotspot. It connects to my hotspot WIFI, but doesn't connect to Traffic and Mydrive (service not available). Weird thing is, when I connect to my home WIFI, it works! (It even works with my wife her iPhone X (but not the bluetooth)...
    same here with iPhone 7 and iOS13.2: BT list show 2 connections to Go520 but only handsfree is working, no network connection
    Just updated iOS to 13.2.2, let see whether it helps...
    Please note that the phone connects to Audio BT on my car Subaru Forester 2015 but car also showed "no audio device" even the BT list of the iPhone showed "connected"
    Just updated (iphone SE) to ios 13.2.2 Bluetooth has now reconnected and gives hands free, without mydrive (which would be contrary to tomtoms guidance ?) traffic does not seem to be available via Bluetooth (although it is available and working via hotspot) introducing Mydrive seems to foul it all up again ! will see how this lasts, but at present I have hands freevia Bluetooth, and traffic via hot spot ! Staying away from mydrive app ! would have been nice to have hands free and traffic via Bluetooth but will settle for what I have got ! just hopes it keeps working !
  • juresjures Posts: 82 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    TomTom are you reading this? IOS is already at 13.2.2 - try to keep up!! We are without traffic and mydrive servise for months now!!!!
    As an addendum to my last post, Traffic (Via hot spot only) and hands free (via Bluetooth) are both still working. But I have noticed that if my phone goes out of range, it will not reconnect Bluetooth unless the Tomtom is turned off and on again (NB turned off not sleep) or Bluetooth is turned off and on on the phone, in a similar way to how the hot spot turns off. iphone SE 13.2.2 and Tomtom rider540
  • GorstaGorsta Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I purchased a new Rider 500 last week and now finding out that I cant get traffic on the device even though its connected via Bluetooth. What is annoying is that I bought it from Tomtom over the phone and specifically asked if there were any issues with iphones and was told there werent. I can now do a masterclass in resetting and recovering the device but reached the end of the line. Please solve it Tomtom or refund!
  • MarioB68MarioB68 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same here. Go520 and iPhone 8, last iOs, still not working. It just works if you reset, unpair and reinstall everything, but as the connection gets lost for the first time (if you turn off the TomTom or just get out of Bluetooth range) everything crashes again. The issues with iOs 13 and Bluetooth look severe, but my smartwatch from another company is working fine again after some minor troubles, and my TomTom navigation device isn't. They should offer an upgrade to the non BT model at a very special price if they don't solve the problem asap.
    And here we are on 11 November and the issue has STILL not been resolved.

But the latest development is that TomTom have offered me a £10 voucher to use against their products as compensation. Yes, a whole £10. It's just an insult. They must be on a different planet if they think I am ever going to acquire any of their products again.

Nigel A, not sure if you can help but I've set up my Go520 with just a hotspot connection and no bluetooth. I've even removed MyDrive from my iPhone. I had traffic working for an hour or so but as soon as I turned the Go off and on again, I was able to get another hotspot connection without difficulty but couldn't get traffic. I only got it back by doing yet another a factory reset.

I then tried using my normal wifi rather than the iPhone hot spot. Exactly the same. It connects perfectly first time, then loses traffic as soon as the sat nat is switched off and on again. You seem to have the hotspot working ok - any ideas please?

Thanks!
    Hi Crispyb ,I defiantly get traffic via the iPhone hot spot (Bluetooth traffic locked out and no mydrive) BUT this is on 4G anything less and the data seems top get flaky and you loose traffic but still have the hotspot connection. Cant seem to get a 3G signal only to try around here, I get good 4G or it drops back on the old system ( GPSR or whatever ) can you tell what signal your phone is receiving ?
    PS I have noticed in the past that Mydrive on my iphone would show traffic that wasn't there, when it didn't have a good data connection. this was only proved by tapping on the symbol at the start of the hold up, instead of giving details it would say "no data available" then clear the traffic spots.
    Testing at home I’m getting a 3 bar 4G signal, and the Go traffic works perfectly through the hotspot until I switch the Go off. Then it reconnects fine to the hotspot, the hotspot icon is showing blue on my iPhone so I know the phone and satnav are talking to each other, but traffic just won’t connect again until I go back to factory settings. I’ve rebooted the phone too and also reset network connections. It’s infuriating!
  • j_roger_newj_roger_new Posts: 225 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Same problems - 2x iPhones neither is connecting despite saying they are. No traffic data last week in worst of the flooding and road closures.
  • juresjures Posts: 82 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Btw I am sure you all know this but no issues on android phone. So clearly ios13/tomtom mydrive issue!
  • AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 275 [Supreme Navigator]
    Well, with IOS 13.3 just around the corner it will be interesting to see if that bring us closer to a working solution. :-)
    Have a good one.
    /Anders
  • aliasGEBaliasGEB Posts: 35 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    edited November 2019
    13.3 is better than 13.2
    now 2 different bth connections available works..
    handsfree works and call ID works
    MyDrive has not been working yet... rightly.. no device recogniion
    waiting for APP update solving the last point not working!!
    GEB
    So having said that Bluetooth hands free free was working ..... went for a little run round the M25 and guess what ! lost Bluetooth connection, did get it back after a lot of sodding around, lasted for 30 seconds and then no more Bluetooth hands free. Have traffic still via hot spot, but am rather pissed off with all this. Haven t been offered 13.3 yet. don't understand why I can have a reliable hands free for 2 days, then lose it permanently.???????????
    So having said that Bluetooth hands free free was working ..... went for a little run round the M25 and guess what ! lost Bluetooth connection, did get it back after a lot of sodding around, lasted for 30 seconds and no more Bluetooth hands free. Have traffic still via hot spot, but am rather pissed off with all this. Haven t been offered 13.3 yet. don't understand why I can have a reliable hands free for 2 days, then lose it permanently.