Bluetooth connectivity issues for Wi-Fi devices and iOS 13 - Page 3 — TomTom Community

Bluetooth connectivity issues for Wi-Fi devices and iOS 13

Comments

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,204 Moderator
    edited October 2019
    hello Everyone

I would recommend that you try the troubleshooting steps suggested by @dmulv

@Nigel A, did you remove the pairing on the phone?

It's important that the entire process is carried out in the sequential order.

To remove the pairing on the iPhone:

- Go to Settings > Bluetooth> press the “i” after 2 PND device names and “Forget This Device”

- Turn the phone off and on again.

- Install the MyDrive app and go through the pairing process.

While we have opened a ticket for our developers to investigate the underlying cause we are also monitoring the different scenarios in which the Bluetooth connectivity has not been stable.

Your feedback after you have tried the above troubleshooting steps will be important for us.

Thank you,
    Vikram.
  • Nigel ANigel A Posts: 99 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    VikramK wrote: »
    hello Everyone
    I would recommend that you try the troubleshooting steps suggested by @dmulv
    @Nigel A, did you remove the pairing on the phone?
    Vikram.

I only removed the pairing on Monday, and Tuesday oh and Wednesday, on Thursday?, let me see.... Oh no on Thursday I threw the d** thing out the window !!!!
  • Lemmings72Lemmings72 Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    I have just upgraded to 19.201.0010.411 and I still cannot connect my iPhone X with iOS 13.1.2 to the phone via bluetooth and Wi-Fi in a stable manner. The MyDrive app is not connecting either and the Rider 550 shows the Wi-Fi out of range when the devices are within a metre of each other.
    Thought they had closed this thread when I last looked. the following is my post on the "New software 19.2.xxxx thread "Tried again with the previous advice ie. Factory reset, delete Bluetooth connections etc. after an hour or so _ IT WORKED !!! I had Bluetooth, wifi hot spot, and traffic !!! For all of 30 seconds......... Bluetooth tghen dropped out wifi lost traffic, and was back to where I started. Having spent most of the afternoon I now have Traffic back on wifi hot spot, no Bluetooth or phone whatsoever. I guess that's it, Bluetooth is apparently no longer supported on my rider 550 (and other Tomtoms by the look of it) Not a happy bunny. "
  • PRPhotoPRPhoto Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I have tried the above with no luck on multiple occasions but my device is stuck on v19.0 and does not see the v19.2 update i guess its not for all devices.

Mine is a Go620 Wifi Professional hybrid because it was rebuilt incorrectly by TomTom team at Australian service centre

@VikramK
  • Joe QJoe Q Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I have followed all the steps indicated by dmulv and VikramK five times in the last two days. Thank you both for the suggestions above. I still cannot get a traffic connection. Devices are GO 620 and iPhone iOS 13.1.2. As others have indicated, everything works well...in my house on WiFi. I appreciate the ongoing work of TomTom’s Tech staff working on this problem. I hope you all come up with a solution soon.
    Do note that IOS (at least on my iphone SE) the hot spot shuts down if it has no connection, even if the hot spot shows as "on". I have to have my Rider 520 switched on, and nearby, then open settings , open personal hot spot, then just touch the screen, not even turn the hot spot off and on. Blue bar confirms connection on top of the iphone screen. if the phone or tomtom goes out of range, then the hot spot will NOT reconnect, without going through the above again. Hope this is of some help. PS Bluetooth simply does not work.
  • Graham1958Graham1958 Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    I’ve still not got traffic on either my Via 53 or Go Professional 620. The latest I have been told is that a ticket has been created to investigate the problems and forwarded to their developers, and they regret at this time they have not determined the underlying cause and cannot therefore give me any reference point on when they will have the issue fixed.
    This has been going on for several weeks and this is just not good enough Tom Tom , I paid the extra for the Go Professional 620 to have the traffic being that I am a lorry driver and at the moment I have a box standard sat nav .
    I am fed up of being told to try the same things over and over again which are obviously not working as I’m not the only one reporting this and saying the same thing.
    I feel that Tom Tom are not taking this seriously.

Graham1958 - Does your 620 have Bluetooth, or wifi (hotspot) or both ? If both, have you tried disabling the Bluetooth ? Best of luck !
    The GOOD news with my GO620 is that after yesterday’s Apple iOS 13.1.3 update, I had reliable Traffic Data with the Hotspot driving last night and driving this morning. So happy about that. But still hove no Bluetooth connections after setting up, as per the instructions I have been following. I personally really only care about the Traffic info, but perhaps Bluetooth will work at some point.
    As an aside, I guess TomTom tech took a bit of a hit, because of an Apple iOS problem that Apple fixed yesterday. But tech, if you are listening, TomTom makes the same mistakes as Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc. You don’t admit and acknowledge on your website that there IS a problem and you are working on it. A lot of customer frustration would be eliminated with just being forthright about a problem. Most tech users understand there are software problems from time to time, but they hate wasting time over and over trying to fix something they can’t fix...I fit into that category.
    Didn't even know there was a 13.1.3 !!! At least there is some good info on this forum ! problem now is that having got traffic working do I risk an Apple update and end up back where I started ! Or is Apple like windows 10, where you don't get a choice ! Thanks for the info not sure whether to risk trying Bluetooth again or just settle for Traffic working ?
    Nigel A I have tried both thank you but still not working, I have also upgraded my phone to 13.1.3 today and still nothing.
    I’m hoping Tom Tom will sort this out soon as I’m slowly loosing my patience, I need my Go 620 to do what it was purchased for.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,105
    Superuser
    Hi @Nigel A

Probably Apple are not making much noise as this is the 3rd Bug Sorting update for IOS13 already.

I can't test the Bluetooth Traffic option as it only works on my devices if the inbuilt sim cannot connect to the servers. If I find a place where that happens my phone probably won't get a signal either. What I have found is whilst the Bluetooth connects perfectly for the Handsfree Phone option it cannot maintain the connection for the Text Messaging facility. If I set the connections up whilst the handsfree connection is solid the Text messaging connection is lost within a minute and if I then turn the unit off and on the handsfree phone reconnects instantly but the messaging connection does not connect.

Doug
    Done the iphone update, traffic connected straight away via hotspot (Mind you this is with a 4G connection - got a feeling traffic struggles on a lower connection) Bluetooth is still a no go for traffic, sms, or callers. the Iphone connects perfectly ok with my Mazda but no go with the rider550
    Hi Graham1958, For what it is worth, my GO 620 Bluetooth handles Traffic Data fine after the iOS 13.1.3 update of yesterday, but no Bluetooth. Assuming you have done the GO620 ‘reset’ as well as all of the previous actions indicated in above comments, and MyDrive app removal and reinstallation, the only thing I can add is to make sure you have re-paired the iOS Hotspot app and the GO620 after the GO620 reset. I then start the iOS Hotspot and in about 15 seconds or so, power up the GO620. You should receive the blue hotspot band at the top indicating a connection. If not, go to the GO620 settings, then WiFi in GO620 settings and make sure that the WiFi connection says ‘iPhone’ and not some other WiFi device connection like your home network. If ‘iPhone’ is not connected, manually select it. Then see if traffic works or shows connected. I do not have Bluetooth selections on for ‘hands free’ or ‘messages’, ONLY Traffic Data. I truly hope you get it going as I was very frustrated until last night just like you.
  • ThijsosThijsos Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    After the last iOS update (13.1.3) it looks like the issue has been dealt with.
    I haven't tried it on the road but at home everything seems to work and is stable!
    Thijsos wrote: »
    After the last iOS update (13.1.3) it looks like the issue has been dealt with.
    I haven't tried it on the road but at home everything seems to work and is stable!

Have you got traffic and phone caller / text connections through Bluetooth ?
    Hi Joe Q thank you for your advice I will try it but I need it all to work traffic , hands free and messages. I know I am being greedy but that’s what I brought the Go Professional 620 for. All the services have always worked while sitting in the house using my home WiFi just not when I need them while out doing my job.
    It would be good if Tom Tom would let their customers know what is going on , yesterday they had the cheek to send me an email to ask if I was happy with customer support and if the problem was sorted you can guess my answer.
    I have read that Apple has a few updates (repairs) in the pipeline for iOS 13. Here’s hoping that there will be a fix for our Bluetooth problems soon.
    Is this Bluetooth problem just with Apple phones ? My iphone Se has no problem with other Bluetooth devices just my Tomtom? Apples 13.1.3 hasn't sorted the Bluetooth. I have traffic with wifi hot spot but no call connections. Be interested to know if android phones work ok ?
  • Lemmings72Lemmings72 Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    Finally looks like I may have stable connectivity. I updated the iPhone 11 Pro to iOS 13.1.3 and then deleted TomTom app and all bluethooth connectivity info from phone. Reset the TomTom Rider 550 to factory defaults and set up as a new device, reconnected with my bluetooth helmet set OK, then connected to iPhone on both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, now have all updates and a connection for longer than 30 seconds. Only time will tell next time I go for a ride but fingers crossed it is now OK.
  • johnsondvrjohnsondvr Posts: 28 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I have had a similar experience but with an iPhone XS. Connections (Phone, messages and data) were stable for about 10 minutes and then the data link broke and the MyDrive app also locked up. Have reported all these problems to support but get asked to do all the same ‘stuff’’ again. Definitely think the culprit is the MyDrive app but we will see. Off on a bigger ride on Mon and will see what happens.
    I thought ( I may be wrong because this seems to have gone on forever) That in the past I had my phone connection (calls and text) without the app, but needed the app for traffic. This has now changed and I can get traffic through wifi without the app but Tomtom say I need the app for Bluetooth. It does look like its the app that's causing the problems. I might have been tong in cheek about the Bluetooth lasting 30 seconds but doubt if it l;lasted as long as 10 mins. Did the whole lot to get that after 13.1.3 but really cant be asked to try again! Will follow you guys with interest, please post back and let us know if your connections remain stable. Good luck !
    For what it’s worth, I never had interest in the phone calls and messages aspect of my GO620. I only wanted traffic. The only time I have ever used the MyDrive app was for original set-ups. I would always start Hotspot, wait 10-15 seconds and start up the GO620. Always worked fine with Hotspot until iOS13. I used Traffic with Hotspot for a day and a half with no problem after the iOS13.1.3 update. Doing an experiment the other day, checking out someone else’s difficulty, I started the GO620 first, and then my iPhone Hotspot. My Hotspot Traffic would not work and in fact broke my Traffic data connection from then on regardless of whether I started Hotspot first or not. I went through the GO620 reset as well as all the other steps on iPhone with a fresh MyDrive app download. Now I have Traffic again with Hotspot. So, if anyone is having trouble with Traffic data and Hotspot, try starting Hotspot FIRST, then your TomTom. Again, I don’t use MyDrive except for the original connection setup. Hope this helps someone.
  • gvangentgvangent Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    TomTom Sports 3 fails to connect to iOS 13 device as well. Tried all the steps as described, but no success so far. Any hint?