Bluetooth connectivity issues for Wi-Fi devices and iOS 13 - Page 19 — TomTom Community

Bluetooth connectivity issues for Wi-Fi devices and iOS 13

Comments

• HangoferHangofer Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hello, I purchased a Tomtom Rider 550 and I am unable to connect my iPhone X to the device. It seems it is connected but the 550 says otherwise. I cannot use Traffic, phonecalls or messages. I tried to do everything I have red in these posts. It doesn't work. Both 550 and iPhone X are updated with the latest. Reading these posts I can only assume that the problem is acting since last year September and still isn't fixed. The 550 is therefore not working as advertised. When is a fix to be expected?
  • Hanshenrik1Hanshenrik1 Posts: 18 [Legendary Explorer]
    Nobody knows,TomTom is abosolute silent about the the problem.Why?
  • johnsondvrjohnsondvr Posts: 28 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Probably because they would have a huge ‘bill’ if they admitted the problem. Very frustrating and there appears to be no solution in sight.

@Hangofer, do try @jures workaround as it does work with giving traffic information and access to routes and places in MyDrive. It can take a couple of minutes to connect when moving off Wi-fi or booting the device away from WiFi and you need to enable your hotspot to allow the data connection but you do not need to connect to your phone’s Wi-fi. The hotspot allows the Bluetooth to exchange data as a trusted device.
    edited August 8
    I seriously think that Tomtom should stop selling this type until they fixed the problem. They promise things that they can't life up to. This is very disappointing. Furthermore My Drive doesn't even see my 550 when I connect it to my MacBook. What a total failure of Tomtom. I am going to use Social Media tot address this until Tomtom acts or admits that they can't fix the problem.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,138
    Superuser
    Hi @Hangofer

The GO550 is designed to be able to update itself by Wifi and not need a PC., except in exceptional circumstances and then the PC is only used as a link to the internet, maybe that's why you can't see it in My Drive as you could on the older units that needed a PC to update.

Doug
    @DougLap Thanks, that sounds logical.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,138
    Superuser
    Hi @Hangofer

If you open My Drive Connect with no unit attached you should see it listed there but you cannot select it.

Doug
  • johnsondvrjohnsondvr Posts: 28 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Had enough of this and switching over to Garmin Zumo XT. Bye bye TomTom. I will not be back.
  • Hanshenrik1Hanshenrik1 Posts: 18 [Legendary Explorer]
    You can buy a car with carplay.TomTom is working okay there.Of course an expensive solution.
  • aliasGEBaliasGEB Posts: 35 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    edited August 30
    question for Vikram... (TT moderator)
    after one year from issue no solution fromTT and for sure not from Apple... so how you answer now on this topic??? we are at iOS14 beta 6th release and is still not working!! so nothing from Apple and we are waiting for TT acts since months

Dec 2019 Vikram wrote:

"Hello all

Since the last iOS update, some of our customers are facing connectivity issues between their smartphone and TomTom device. We understand the frustration and are working on a solution to make the connectivity work with iOS 13.

At the same time, we intend to keep a close eye on the iOS releases offered by Apple®.It looks they are also trying to roll out several updates since the first iOS 13 release back in September 2019 to iron out any bugs.

Thanks,
    Vikram."

Ciao
  • BeegRichBeegRich Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    When I do a new journey everything connects fine, I get all the alerts message and speed camera notifications. I am using a one+8 phone and sena srl2 headset.
    Its fine until you stop, then it wont reconnect and it will only reconnet when you reboot the 550 device again.
    After just returning from a 4 day Uk trip this has been a big dissapointment and quite frankly more hassle than its worth. I will be going back to garmin, which works fine with both os and android handsets and the 550 is going back to Tom Tom.

Never, ever again.
  • _Info_6200_Info_6200 Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
    i am owning a TomTom GO 6200.
    and sometimes the traffic service works, while driving through germany... but most of the times it doesn t - or it starts working after a few hours driving...which is not the reason why I bought that tomtom. also I can not connect via bluetooth to my smartphone. i have the the acutal mydrive app on my iphone 7. also the tomtom is updated. I am able to see the tomtomon my smartphone via bluetooth
  • juresjures Posts: 82 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    For the love of God, its not ios problem, thats 100% sure, its pure app problem, because it cannot handle two wat BT communication. But it looks like tomtom stoped its development 6 months ago. Usually app gets at least 1 update per month.
  • CJOCJO Posts: 28 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Has anyone tried this with the new iOS14 which has now been released to see if Apple have changed things back to permit TT to work properly again.

This is an iOS issue they removed the ability for TT to work - this is documented else where.
    edited September 17
    CJO wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this with the new iOS14 which has now been released to see if Apple have changed things back to permit TT to work properly again.

This is an iOS issue they removed the ability for TT to work - this is documented else where.
    I completeley disagree. Has nothing to do with ios. All other vendors have no issues.

Also tomtoms features work in ios, smart messaging works, data and my drive works. But they dont work in parallel. You can have one or either but not both. Sonits clear app problem

When Apple released iOS13 it changed the way it applies security permissions which blocks the way TT works.

A work round has been found by forum user JURES’S and is documented in other threads.
    edited September 17
    When Apple released iOS13 it changed the way it applies security permissions which blocks the way TT works.

A work round has been found by forum user JURES’S and is documented in other threads.
    I know thats me...

And if so then tomtom needs to adapt its app. Exactly my point. Apple will not adapt to each vendor, apps need to adapt to os, its always been like that

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 551 [Revered Pioneer]
    On some other fora people report stable connections using iOS 14 with the TomTom Rider 550 during the first tests.

So it looks like Apple has fixed this issue in iOS 13.
    No on other forum too IOS14 do not works.. as 13 too... so more than 1 years without any action from TT.... shame shame shame !!!!!!!!!
    edited September 17
    It does not work with iOS 14, and will not work with iOS 15,16,17,18,19......until tomtom changes the communication interface and protocol of the app!!!

Its how I found the workaround. Tomtom app is requiring dual BT link. And thats a problem. It might work if you dedicate your phone's BT only and really only to tomtom. But we do not live in 1999 anymore.

So Tomtom is the one needing to adapt. Please take a look at the date of last update of the app - it will tell you the trouth

Last update 11 months afo! If that seems normal to you....then ok believe the story that its apples fault and wait for it.....till wnd of life

n9vcr4o2fc0u.png

edited September 17
    So TT need to rewrite their operating software to meet the new requirements that Apple are imposing on them........

So what happens next time Apple move the goal posts......
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,155 [Revered Voyager]
    edited September 18
    So what happens next time Apple move the goal posts......
    Apple owns the goal posts and the entire playing field that they built. TomTom always has 3 choices: play by their rules or offer a poorly performing product or get off the field.
    Garmin issued update one day after ios12 and has no issue with ios till today. Apple is integrating new things and security features and apps need to adapt. Nothing new in mobile world.

Thats why there is developer plan. But tomtom clearly abandoned development of this app
    edited September 18
    Admin: I removed the reference to beta. You have signed an NDA!
    but if there ia an admin.. and I hope he is from TT... so WHY after 19 pages why not give us an answer on this issue instead await in a so shamed silence???