Bluetooth connectivity issues for Wi-Fi devices and iOS 13 - Page 18 — TomTom Community

Bluetooth connectivity issues for Wi-Fi devices and iOS 13

Comments

• ChabonChabon Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    If IOS 14 does not fix problem I've decided to go with Garmin ZUMO XT. Expensive lesson going with TomTom.
  • Hanshenrik1Hanshenrik1 Posts: 17 [Legendary Explorer]
    Contact to TomTom promised to mail me a workaround from senior team.Have not got it..I think the support is worthless i think i give up an put my go ess 500 away.I dont believe tomtom ever will fix the problem.I will warn friends and family to buy tomtom products.
  • olaf-karlsenolaf-karlsen Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi

Just upgrade my iPhone to 13.5 from 12.x. Now the traffic info is not working i.e. not connected :-(. I following the guide in the Mydrive App and the phone and TomTom Essential seems also to connect and state everything is okay. But after some time approx 30sec it will loose connection and the APP also states that it can't find any GPS unit. However the GPS states it is connected to phone by BT.

The only way I can get the Traffic info/data to work is to make a Personal Hotspot (sharing of wifi) from my phone and the Tomtom GPS unit use this wifi connection.

Is there a work around to get it fixed so it work with BT connection only.

Olaf
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,569
    Superuser
    Hi @olaf-karlsen

The problem arose when Apple issued IOS13 and has not been resolved.

Try the following. Firstly do not open the My Drive App at all as it is not required. Now Turn on both your Bluetooth and Personal Hotspots on the phone and then link the GO Essential by Bluetooth as you would normally any similar device. You will get the Pairing number as usual but at no stage will you be asked to input the Wifi code for the Personal Hotspot.

Once you have paired the Bluetooth with the Personal Hotspot turned on as well then see if you get the unit to work with Traffic. When you have done this you will find if you turn Personal Hotspot Off on you phone you will lose the Bluetooth connection. so you need the Personal Hotspot on to maintain the connection.

Doug
    It works okay when you follow instructions from dough.It is not okay that tomtom does not fix the problem.This method is not mentioned in the instruction from TomTom.
    Superuser
    edited July 12
    Hi @Hanshenrik1

I think the problem for Tomtom is that the use of My Drive was particularly to facilitate the messaging option on some of their devices and that still is not resolved.

Doug
    I agree.Disapointed that tomtom not have solved the problem.
  • aliasGEBaliasGEB Posts: 31 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    in the web there are TT user with iOS14 beta that seem to solve the issue... there is any user in this forum that have tested iOS14???

Waiting for it
  • ChabonChabon Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    aliasGEB wrote: »
    in the web there are TT user with iOS14 beta that seem to solve the issue... there is any user in this forum that have tested iOS14???

Waiting for it

I solved the problem by ordering a Garmin Zumo XT.
  • AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 275 [Supreme Navigator]
    Chabon wrote: »
    I solved the problem by ordering a Garmin Zumo XT.

Hahahaaaa, I did the same thing after almost 5 years with TTR400, 450 and 550 ...

Have a nice day,
    Anders
    edited July 15
    I had a Garmin before move to TomTom.. problems on road calculation and connectivity too... so moved to TT new 550 and... surprise.. after iOS upgrade from 12 to 13 .. a mess!!!! Now waiting to solve it due to very happy on device performances but not on connectivities due to Apple limits and TT not act to solve it-
  • Luigimita82Luigimita82 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    edited July 17
    aliasGEB wrote: »

Waiting for it

I have tested iOS 14......the connection between Rider 550 and iPhone seems to be more stable but the traffic service isn't working.

Moreover, isn't possible to send a trip via mydrive app from iphone to Rider....

Disaster! I am very disappointed and I will never buy a tomtom navigator again
    Today i updatet my iphone to ios 13.6.It looks like the problem with bluetooth and my drive is solved.Hopefully it is pemanent.Traffic working.
    it seem too soon.... have turn off and on a couple of time the nav ??? if it still works it is a good signal
    tested 13,6.... no way to solve.. same issues!! not works
  • johnsondvrjohnsondvr Posts: 26 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    13.6 seems to allow traffic and messages on my Rider 550. I have turned off the phone facility as I do not need this due to the bike being able to handle calls. I started with @jures workaround for data and then added Messages /phone through MyDrive. The phone connection sometimes works and sometimes not but they device shows a steady data connection and MyDrive icon shows connected also. With this setup, I have had no problems with MyDrive access and traffic information and messages display correctly. Been using this setup frequently since 13.6 came out. Happy if this keeps working this way.

p0c8hfqgbz3a.jpeg
    zsj39t7q1bdm.jpeg
    70h2mqi6bizs.jpeg

After some few days no bluetooh to my drive on my go ess500.No traffic longer .What is happening TomTom???
  • johnsondvrjohnsondvr Posts: 26 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Connections on my Rider 550 have gone the same way. So frustrating why this happens.
  • picaropicaro Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Bought my Rider 550 in February and having the same problems as all of you have with iOS 13.
    At the service desk of the store where I bought it they could not fix it. Wait for an update of iOS ...
    I doubt if the problem is in iOS, expect to be it in the Rider.
    Anyhow, when discussing this problem another potential buyer heard about my problems and went for the Garmin XT!
    Why is there no comments/response from TomTom on this issue?
  • juresjures Posts: 74 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    edited August 3
    Everyone, simply use my workaround few pages back. All will work (traffic, live updates and mydrive) except for smart features, but who cares you dont need that on bike.

It works for me for half a year without a single error
    edited August 4
    Yes I confirm that it works as Jures suggest... by the way we don't care smart features but .. we pay for them.. so we want TT solve these issues... no sense it not works since iOs13 one years ago!!! It worked very well with iOS12, so they have to solve... that's all folks
    Lamps
    Bluetooth is still not working satisfied , now i have desided not to use my go.ess500 any more .I will give it away free , i think it is fraud to take money for a device which is not working correct.Never more TomTom.
    Superuser
    Hi @Hanshenrik1

Have you tried the suggestions particularly by @Jures earlier in this topic.

Doug
    I have tried it , but i works inconstant:have to reset the essgo500 often.So i give up now.