Bluetooth connectivity issues for Wi-Fi devices and iOS 13 - Page 14 — TomTom Community

Bluetooth connectivity issues for Wi-Fi devices and iOS 13

Comments

• ST1300_PanEuropeanST1300_PanEuropean Posts: 80 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Claus, Nigel:

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences with the workaround, that lets me know what to expect (I've just purchased my Rider 550, and will start using it on a moto tour of Tunisia at the end of February).

I don't think the lack of connectivity will be a problem for me on the Tunisia tour - I'm not expecting anyone to phone or SMS me, and I suppose I can live without the voice guidance, speed camera annunciations, etc. during that tour.

The lack of telephony & voice guidance & annunciation to the helmet will become a problem during the coming summer, when I use the motorcycle in Europe & North America. Hopefully TomTom will have fixed the problem by then.

Michael
  • Cyborg1963Cyborg1963 Posts: 15 [Legendary Explorer]
    Claus, Nigel:

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences with the workaround, that lets me know what to expect (I've just purchased my Rider 550, and will start using it on a moto tour of Tunisia at the end of February).

I don't think the lack of connectivity will be a problem for me on the Tunisia tour - I'm not expecting anyone to phone or SMS me, and I suppose I can live without the voice guidance, speed camera annunciations, etc. during that tour.

The lack of telephony & voice guidance & annunciation to the helmet will become a problem during the coming summer, when I use the motorcycle in Europe & North America. Hopefully TomTom will have fixed the problem by then.

Michael

Have you read my posts from page 11?
    For now the only solution is (and I have personally tried and the connection is stable) with Tom Tom Raider 550 and iPhone, do not connect the My Drive App.
    Even now I have made the report to TomTom Customer Service and see what they answer.
  • Nigel ANigel A Posts: 100 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    ST1300paneuro, I find the fitting setup and basic in use navigation brilliant. Route planning and software is a pain in the **** ! Tom toms on line my drive work well and you can send to the device ok. You cant bring routes etc back other than by SD card ! very hard to keep backups of previous trips etc without bloating the device or mydrive. Mydrive uses favourites as waypoints, the 520 can use waypoints, in fact tomtom say to use waypoints as the "favourites are limited" but unfortunately mydrive does not use waypoints! I plan and keep my trips in Garmin mapsource and download in GPX files to the 520. A horrible system. But as I said I find the 520 brilliant to use on the road (Other than the Bluetooth bit!)
    Hi Nigel:

Thanks very much for that bit of advice about favourites vs. waypoints, and about downloading riding history via the SD card.

I'm very familiar with Garmin's MapSource & BaseCamp applications, having used them for the past 18 years with many different Garmin devices on my motorcycles. This Rider 550 is my first TomTom device, so, I'm happy to hear that I can download travel history from the TomTom and store it with my past riding history.

Thanks also for your comments about the Rider 550 being good at navigation - that is encouraging to hear.

Michael
  • ChrispybChrispyb Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I just wanted to say a massive thank you to Jures and everyone who's been posting recently, it's great to have traffic up and running again, albeit with a workaround solution. TomTom have behaved appallingly and must have done themselves so much harm from a PR perspective - at least I hope they have! Under no circumstances will I ever buy another product from them, but thanks to the user base I now have a GPS doing 90% of what I need. Thanks again.
    Hello Chris:

There is further discussion of this same problem at another discussion here in the forum. On page 2 of the first link below, forum member @Gettingfedupnow has provided a link to a story in 'The Verge' that explains why Apple made the changes they did to their implementation of Bluetooth. TomTom has not yet released an updated MyDriveConnect app for the iPhone that is compliant with the changes Apple made.

Rider 550 & iPhone XS Bluetooth Connectivity Problem

Michael
  • jicemanjiceman Posts: 21 [Master Explorer]
    Hello Chris:

There is further discussion of this same problem at another discussion here in the forum. On page 2 of the first link below, forum member @Gettingfedupnow has provided a link to a story in 'The Verge' that explains why Apple made the changes they did to their implementation of Bluetooth. TomTom has not yet released an updated MyDriveConnect app for the iPhone that is compliant with the changes Apple made.

Rider 550 & iPhone XS Bluetooth Connectivity Problem

Michael

Thanks for the pointer. Don't know if the permission requirement is the only issue (if so, why would it take so long).

In my case, the only fix that worked was, "use bluetooth without the app and enable a phone hotspot, but don't connect via WiFi" as mentioned earlier in the thread. There seems to be another problem, that traffic and remote connection to MyDrive service don't work over a iPhone 13 hotspot WiFi (but do work with other WiFi). However, BT as a replacement is good enough for me.
  • Roger_30Roger_30 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am using my iPhone hot spot to connect to live traffic and it works, although not totally reliable compared to what bluetooth should provide. Saying that, bluetooth like everyone else is not working via the app. If you look at the reviews for the TT MyDrive app, it's very poor and long out of date. Where Garmin has virtually 100% reviews <3

How many of you have gone onto other media sites and let your opinions be known? I have and will continue to do so until TT starts treating their customers with some respect. TT Support basically uses a standard template when answering your problems. I now have gone to the UK Trading Standards and have received some good advice to escalate this problem higher. =)

These are 'I understand from your e-mail that you are facing issues with Traffic on your GO Wi-Fi device.

I am sorry to hear of the issues you are having with your TomTom. Please be assured that I will put my best efforts to assist you.

This usually happens when there is an issue with the service provider or the phone's settings. Can you just follow the steps as below and then test the services issues again' and again I am sorry to hear of the issues you are having with your TomTom.

I would like to explain that this issue was reported in October 2019 after we received complaints from customers about this.

I regret that at this time they have not determined the underlying cause and cannot therefore give me any reference point on when they will have the issue fixed as it involves inputs from Apple as well.

I hope the above provided information addresses your concern.

If you have any more queries, or would like to update me, please don’t hesitate to contact me via the link in this message and I’ll be more than happy to help".

Heard this so many times :#
  • juresjures Posts: 82 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Starting to believe that tomtom is going out of business or will sell its business to someone.
    edited February 20
    An interesting article, although it does bear mentioning that it was published in 2015.

That notwithstanding, there is no doubt that the market for stand-alone GPS navigators has shrunk dramatically. Whether or not this accounts for TomTom's slow response updating the navigator firmware and/or MyDriveConnect app to solve the Bluetooth functionality problems Apple iOS users have experienced since November 2019 is a matter for speculation.

The one segment of the stand-alone GPS navigator market that is likely to be least affected by smartphones taking over is the motorcycle navigation market. Smartphones are generally not waterproof, and the design of smartphone-based navigation system user interfaces doesn't work well when wearing gloves due to the tiny icons on the user interface.

It is clear that TomTom is shifting their focus away from hardware (stand-alone navigation devices) to software solutions (crowd-sourced cartography updates displayed on TomTom apps running on smartphones), but still, let's hope that TomTom continues to both support and develop motorcycle-specific navigation devices.

Michael
  • NR4000NR4000 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Thank you to everyone who tested, gave advice, and participated. I regret that I didn't investigate the issuses discussed in this threat before buying a new Rider 550, anticipating that it would work with my iPhone and Schuberth headset, just as my old Rider(2013) did, until it got "bricked" during an update.

I have raised a new support case at Tomtom asking if they have any plans to solve the problem. It would be nice to have an honest answer. Is it time to warn other motorcycelists using iPhones with a current OS against investing in Tomtom devices for motorcycles? After all we are consumers and many of us are active on social media with fellow riders.

It looks like this is it folks. Tomtom is working on new app Roadtrips but it has nothing to do with ios problem. Further more they dont understand that any new app wont be usefull to ios users until there is proper connectivity.
    I am so glad I bought Garmin. Rider550 is now a souvenir of past on my shelf
  • johnsondvrjohnsondvr Posts: 28 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Sorry but that is not what was said in the Beta group for RoadTrips. The app is separate to MyDrive (the device connectivity app at the moment) and is being designed as a collaborative platform. You were told that the connectivity aspect was being passed on to the MyDrive team. It is still very early days with the RoadTrips app and the beta testers have not been given the full road map - there may be some linkage the Mobile Go app.

Have a look at what is happening in the MyDrive beta area and place comments there if you want to contribute.
    johnsondvr wrote: »
    Sorry but that is not what was said in the Beta group for RoadTrips. The app is separate to MyDrive (the device connectivity app at the moment) and is being designed as a collaborative platform. You were told that the connectivity aspect was being passed on to the MyDrive team. It is still very early days with the RoadTrips app and the beta testers have not been given the full road map - there may be some linkage the Mobile Go app.

Have a look at what is happening in the MyDrive beta area and place comments there if you want to contribute.

I dont think you listen to users! First the connectivity aspect has been passed by thousant of users to mydrive team in Octobre 2019!!!!!!
    Second regarding the Roadtrip app and colaborative platform - yes it is, but I cannot use a single roadtrip if I cant send it to my device. Understood?
    We do not use mobile app GO, we use devices, devices bought at TomTom!

And please look few posts above, other users are sayingthe same, Tomtom is simply focusing in apps, and is leaving us here to solve the issues on our own.

I found the workaround after 3 month, and its the only way to use it now.

Last - the Roadtrip app we are testing has a feature - sync to satnav. How? Connect first my tomtom nav please.

Sorry to be angry - but my anger is justified!
    I am a user/customer like you and fully aware of the problem but you are breaking the NDA of the Beta Test Group. Do not confuse issues.

Understand your anger but report through the Beta forum if need be.
    So basically Tomtom have got a new toy, and have washed their hands of the expensive toy they flogged to unsuspecting customers. Is that right ?
    Nope. MyDrive is a separate thing.
    Nigel A wrote: »
    So basically Tomtom have got a new toy, and have washed their hands of the expensive toy they flogged to unsuspecting customers. Is that right ?

Hi Nigel:

I don't think that is the case.

I also have a Rider 550 and a new iPhone running iOS 13, so I am also affected by the loss of functionality caused by the Bluetooth issue. But I don't think that TomTom has given up on solving the problem.

My guess, and I stress that this is a guess, is that the problem has turned out to be more difficult for them to solve than we think, meaning that they will have to come up with a significant revision to either the 550 device software or the iPhone app in order to restore functionality.

I would be quite surprised if they don't eventually solve this problem, particularly because the current advertising for the device on the TomTom websites clearly indicates that the device provides the telephony & SMS services that are currently not working.

Michael
    johnsondvr wrote: »
    I am a user/customer like you and fully aware of the problem but you are breaking the NDA of the Beta Test Group. Do not confuse issues.

Understand your anger but report through the Beta forum if need be.
    Good because I am stepping out of that, useless (even if app is good)
  • garydawgarydaw Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I cant connect my VIA 53 to my iPhone any more, so I cant receive traffic updates etc. I am correct in saying this still isnt fixed after 6 MONTHS!
  • proberts69proberts69 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    OK guys n gals, I think I may have found a solution to this issue until Tom Tom pull their finger out and I have now had it all working for a few weeks. My Via 53 just would not connect to get live traffic updates or my drive cloud via my Iphone and I tried everything, but it would connect ok using home wifi.
    Here is what I successfully did from start to finish: I reset the TomTom back to brand new by going into settings / System and then reset device. On the iphone go into Settings / Bluetooth and delete anything related to the TomTom by pressing the i and forget device.
    Switch on the TomTom and set it up as if it was new, connect to wifi to allow you to log in to TomTom Services. Once I was able to log into TomTom services I deleted the wifi so that I knew that the TomTom would be working from my phone. Once I knew it all worked ok using my phone, at a later date I then set up wifi on the TomTom.
    Once the TomTom was up and running I added my iphone to it and allowed contacts, TomTom services etc. I then noticed that all TomTom services etc all worked perfectly and did for days without a problem.
    Now this is the crucial bit that causes the problem and I advise that you do not use the MyDrive App on your iphone and i will now explain why. Once I had everything up and running and all was perfect I opened the MyDrive app on my iphone and and as soon as the app started I got a Bluetooth Pairing request message saying that the "Tom Tom Via 53" would like to pair with my phone. I clicked PAIR and immediatly all services stopped working and I was back to square one with no services like traffic working at all!
    I then reset the device all over again and did all of the above again and all is now working absolutely perfectly everytime and has been for a while.
    The key factor of this story is to follow all the steps above but DO NOT use MyDrive app on your iphone or if you do, DO NOT PAIR IT WITH YOUR PHONE!
    It certainly worked for my device and I now have no problems at all, hopefully this will also work for you as well.
    Did you get Hands Free with this method ? or just traffic ?
  • jatcojatco Posts: 90 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I'll certainly give that a try..with GO620...
    Guess we'll see.
    Right now, I'm updating the latest Updates.
    proberts69 wrote: »
    OK guys n gals, I think I may have found a solution to this issue until Tom Tom pull their finger out and I have now had it all working for a few weeks. My Via 53 just would not connect to get live traffic updates or my drive cloud via my Iphone and I tried everything, but it would connect ok using home wifi.
    Here is what I successfully did from start to finish: I reset the TomTom back to brand new by going into settings / System and then reset device. On the iphone go into Settings / Bluetooth and delete anything related to the TomTom by pressing the i and forget device.
    Switch on the TomTom and set it up as if it was new, connect to wifi to allow you to log in to TomTom Services. Once I was able to log into TomTom services I deleted the wifi so that I knew that the TomTom would be working from my phone. Once I knew it all worked ok using my phone, at a later date I then set up wifi on the TomTom.
    Once the TomTom was up and running I added my iphone to it and allowed contacts, TomTom services etc. I then noticed that all TomTom services etc all worked perfectly and did for days without a problem.
    Now this is the crucial bit that causes the problem and I advise that you do not use the MyDrive App on your iphone and i will now explain why. Once I had everything up and running and all was perfect I opened the MyDrive app on my iphone and and as soon as the app started I got a Bluetooth Pairing request message saying that the "Tom Tom Via 53" would like to pair with my phone. I clicked PAIR and immediatly all services stopped working and I was back to square one with no services like traffic working at all!
    I then reset the device all over again and did all of the above again and all is now working absolutely perfectly everytime and has been for a while.
    The key factor of this story is to follow all the steps above but DO NOT use MyDrive app on your iphone or if you do, DO NOT PAIR IT WITH YOUR PHONE!
    It certainly worked for my device and I now have no problems at all, hopefully this will also work for you as well.
    Its what I explained 3 pages back.
    But this option gives you traffic and mydrive data.
    It does not give you smartphone features.

It works otherwise 100% over bluetooth if hotspot is ON. No need for Wifi just bluetooth
    And after you do it you can even install mydrive app and use it for routing.
    As long as you dont pair over the app all is ok

I clearly explained. No need for wifi-s at all. Just Bluetooth.