Bluetooth connectivity issues for Wi-Fi devices and iOS 13 - Page 13 — TomTom Community

Bluetooth connectivity issues for Wi-Fi devices and iOS 13

Comments

• Nigel ANigel A Posts: 100 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    edited January 30
    Hi all, Used to get hands free ok but traffic was hit and miss. Now I can get traffic ok by either means, but cant get hands free back at all ? will try again but am loosing the willpower to continue ..........................:( iphone SE and Rider 520
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,202
    Superuser
    edited January 30
    Hi @Nigel A

My phone is the SE and I get handsfree.

Doug
  • BeoboiinozBeoboiinoz Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    edited January 31
    I'm having the same issues as everyone else here with my year old GO 620 and the MyDrive app on my iPhone XS running IOS 13.3.1

Is there any likelihood of a proper fix, so the device works as advertised and intended, or is it time to buy a Garmin?

Cheers

John..
  • jicemanjiceman Posts: 21 [Master Explorer]
    Nigel A wrote: »
    Iteresting, but still no hands free. seem a long winded way to get traffic, which I can get via a straight wi fi hot spot ?

The point (for me) is that traffic/mydrive don't work when connecting with a iOS 13 wifi hotspot; they only work when connecting over Bluetooth. Have you found otherwise?
  • juresjures Posts: 82 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @jures

If you are referring to the fact that you can create a route on the My Drive App but it does not then sync to the Tomtom Go Navigation App then this is because the Map on the My Drive App/PND's is different to the maps on the Mobile App.

TT recently issued a new Android App and that does not sync the route either although the version before Synced My Places and My Routes etc as the PND's. TT have said this is because the new App maps are different, NTS maps I think, but the are working on restoring the syncing facility. The ability to sync the Routes has never been on the Apple version probably because Apple have not allowed it as clearly TT have provided it for the Android in the past and so clearly wish it to be so.

Doug
    No I am not saying that. I am saying that myapp routing and send to device works with the workaround
    Hi all, Used to get hands free ok but traffic was hit and miss. Now I can get traffic ok by either means, but cant get hands free back at all ? will try again but am loosing the willpower to continue ..........................:( iphone SE and Rider 520

You can simply pair phone directly with hands free device, you dont need gps for that. You are not speaking with gps right??

hi jiceman, up to now I could only get traffic over wifi not but not over Bluetooth, using jures method I can get traffic over bluetooth (which is handier as I dont have to keep refreshing hot spot) . I cant get hands free with either. Watch out though My rider will often show traffic when it hasent actualy got an update (if you click on the hold up icon it will give information if it is actualy connected. Bluetooth hands free will often show connected when its not. Jures, I dont quite understand your point, my Rider 520 was sold to me with this and I would like it to work why should I not use the GPS for this ?
  • AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 275 [Supreme Navigator]
    jures wrote: »
    Did you delete all Old bluetooth connections in phone and gps? Works perfectly for n friends 6,7,8 and my 10

Delete also wifi connections
    And do not forget to turn on iPhones hotspot. It's normal at the third step not to work if you don't have this on

Well, now I did that on my IPhone 8, configured all from scratch with a factory reset on the GPS and same issue, works well the first time but after a restart of the TTR550 it all goes south again ...

I am now giving up ... :-(

/Anders
    hi jiceman, up to now I could only get traffic over wifi not but not over Bluetooth, using jures method I can get traffic over bluetooth (which is handier as I dont have to keep refreshing hot spot) . I cant get hands free with either. Watch out though My rider will often show traffic when it hasent actualy got an update (if you click on the hold up icon it will give information if it is actualy connected. Bluetooth hands free will often show connected when its not. Jures, I dont quite understand your point, my Rider 520 was sold to me with this and I would like it to work why should I not use the GPS for this ?

So you are using GPS mic and speaker for hands free? Maybe I missed the point, I thought you use cars hands free or for bikers helmets hands free?

I thought you use gos only to manage calls (answer/decline)
    Because this is how I used it on rider 550 on my bike. Despite having this feature on rider I used helmet hand free directly.
  • RobLeedsRobLeeds Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi All,
    I observe this thread for a very long time as I'm planing to buy Rider 550 and I have an iPhone on iOS 13.3 so obviously all mentioned before issues will apply. Now having a small workaround available I start to thing that this actually might work for me.

Question is:
    Did anyone with TT Rider 550 have a working setup where can hear sat-nav turn by turn commands via bluetooth headset attached to helmet and stream music from iPhone altogether at the same time? I don't mind to miss on calls and traffic (on motorcycle just don't care too much of them)

I was using previously only my phone with TomTom Go on it and all of that worked fine but TT Go is missing most of Rider 550 functionality like importing GPX files or loading routes created on TT website which I would really like to have.

And of course I would like to avoid putting £300+ into a device which will make fell angry and disappointed every time when in use - and yes I know it's safe to go with a Garmin but I actually kinda like Rider 550.
  • johnsondvrjohnsondvr Posts: 28 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I am using my rider 550 Sought of as you have suggested but I have the GPS connected to my helmet comm on the second channel. Main channel on my helmet comm is connected to to the bike system, as is the phone. Do not see why it would not work direct on main channel. Like you I do not needs the SMS and traffic just. Since 13.3.1, the problem is with MyDrive app locking up. Up to this point it works as advertised. Definitely work needed on the app by TomTom.
    Hi Jures, to explain, dont actualy use the hand free with a helmet mic and speaker, but find the "mised calls" and text messages shown on the tomtom handy. traffic works better with your method but phone call bit seems a wast of time. I find it puzzling that some set ups work and others dont, with similar devices, but then again I never understood that I could set it all up to work perfectly one day and loss it the next. (re hands free read that as 30 seconds and lose it!)
  • RichardKernowRichardKernow Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I'm having similar issues with a Go 6200 - MyDrive v2.10.1 and iOS 13.3.1 on an iPhone SE. The "Hands-free" voice connection initialises OK but "Smartphone messages" doesn't. I don't need the data for Traffic etc. due to the built-in SIM. As with other posts, I've tried all the usual processes of clearing the connections on both devices, shutting down, setting up again, etc. but to no avail. While I'm inclined to blame Apple for the problem (everything was fine on IOS 12) I'm grateful for any other help and advice - or more updates from TomTom (whether to the Go itself or the MyDrive App) to overcome the issue.
    Well we all agree that tomtom is not doin their job......currently ALL features stopped working in sept 2019. Its February 2020.

I gave up and am using Garmin which ALL features work. I am still playing with desperate friends Rider550 and we are happy to find workaround for traffic and data for mydrive
  • TerrieristTerrierist Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Posted on some of the TomTom Social sites about this and got a request to Direct Message them, I've linked back to this forum post, let's see what they either do or do not come up with...
  • johnsondvrjohnsondvr Posts: 28 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I did the same a few weeks back and all has gone quiet. They did suggest that I use the Hotspot without app approach whilst a solution was being developed. I really hope that there is a solution soon. Asa this situation has gone on long enough. Nothing from the forum moderator recently either.
  • ST1300_PanEuropeanST1300_PanEuropean Posts: 80 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Unfortunately, that "Hotspot without the MyDrive app" workaround, while it works, consumes a great deal more GSM data than running the MyDrive app and connecting via Bluetooth.

This is a significant concern - in fact, a deal-killer - for those of us who have limited data plans on our cell phones.

Michael
  • jatcojatco Posts: 90 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    This I posted on another related thread...
    You're not alone..Same with 13.2.3. IPhone connects (shows 2 GO620 in bluetooth), shows connected but Data for Traffic doesn't. So I Forget the GO that is not connected, unable to re-connect when the phone and TT are next to each other, forget it again, system searches, then able to Pair the 2 , shows connected on MYDrive (when the status box in top right corner is blank, no X..), yet on the GO620, still Unable to connect to Data and keeps trying to connect to Smartphone messages. Turning of smartphone messages doesn't make a difference. It's seems to be an ongoing issue even with other threads about this. Just having to deal with it working some of the time.
    The other thing that seems odd is, you're using the same phone with same device ...and you have to connect/pair all the time. ? One would think the 2 would recognize each other once you turn them on..!! - Just saying.
    GO Supreme APAC 6"
    Jatco/Thomas T
  • ClausBPClausBP Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    Hi Jures!

Thanks a lot for your workaround - it works great.

I am just angry I did not discover it myself after my many tries :-)

And it is very strange and disappointing that TomTom does not inform of this work around after almost half a year.

- Delete app
    - Delete old BT pairings of gps
    - Connect gps to phone over bluetooth under standard way
    - Install app
    - DO NOT pair gps over the app
    - have personal hotspot on phone turned ON just for BT
    - DO NOT pair gps with wifi of this personal hotspot

edited February 3
    RobLeeds wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I observe this thread for a very long time as I'm planing to buy Rider 550 and I have an iPhone on iOS 13.3 so obviously all mentioned before issues will apply. ...

...And of course I would like to avoid putting £300+ into a device which will make me feel angry and disappointed every time when in use - and yes I know it's safe to go with a Garmin but I actually kinda like Rider 550.

Hi Rob:

I've just bought a Rider 550, after 18 years of using Garmin devices.

If you only want navigation guidance, then go ahead and buy the Rider 550. My short experience with it (1 week) suggests that it navigates as well as a Garmin device.

But, if you want full integration with other devices (your telephone for incoming & outgoing calls, SMS text display, traffic info via the MyDrive app rather than the "Personal Hotspot & Bluetooth" workaround, which I have found to be very data-intensive), then I suggest you just sit tight and not buy anything, Garmin or TomTom, until TomTom resolves this issue with the Rider 550 not operating properly when paired with the MyDrive app running on Apple phones.

I'm generally an optimistic person, and I tend to give companies the benefit of the doubt when they encounter problems like this, but so much time has now passed (November 2019 to present) without TomTom releasing a device firmware update and/or a MyDrive app update that fixes this problem that my overall confidence in TomTom is now in doubt.

So, to sum up - just sit tight and wait and watch what happens (or does not happen).

Michael
    edited February 4
    "But, if you want full integration with other devices (your telephone for incoming & outgoing calls, SMS text display, traffic info via the MyDrive app rather than the "Personal Hotspot & Bluetooth" workaround, which I have found to be very data-intensive),
    Michael[/quote]"

Hi Michael!

I don't find the the "Personal Hotspot & Bluetooth" workaround more data intensive. Please remember that the Personal Hotspot does not need to be connected to the GPS - it just needs to be activated to stabalize the Bluetooth connection for some reason...

Claus
  • ChabonChabon Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Just got the Jures workaround working. Was using WiFi hotspot before but it was killing phone battery. This will work until a proper solution from TomTom comes out.
    Hi Claus:

Thanks for that insight, it is appreciated.

Are you able to get full functionality (place/receive telephone calls, display of SMS messages, audio connection to/from helmet headset) when using the Bluetooth / Personal Hotspot work-around with your Rider 550 and Apple iPhone?

Michael
    Hi Claus:

Thanks for that insight, it is appreciated.

Are you able to get full functionality (place/receive telephone calls, display of SMS messages, audio connection to/from helmet headset) when using the Bluetooth / Personal Hotspot work-around with your Rider 550 and Apple iPhone?

Michael

Hi Michael!

No - sadly the Bluetooth / Personal Hotspot work-around only gives Traffic Info and some limited integration to the TomTom Mydrive App

Here is a list of the functions I have with the Bluetooth / Personal Hotspot work-around:

- Automatic and stable Bluetooth connection when the GPS is switched on
    - Stable Traffic Info connection
    - Send routes and positions from TomTom MyDrive App to GPS

Full functionality (place/receive telephone calls, display of SMS messages, audio connection to/from helmet headset will require the Bluetooth connection 2 via the MyDrive app. But avoid this at the moment because that is where hell starts.

I wish I had known the workaround months ago because it actually fulfills my needs.

As an IT professional I must say that TomTom has acted completely like an amateur when it comes to support and information.

If TomTom had informed the customers on weekly basis with instruction of this work around and progress (or no progress yet) in resolving the issues they could have been seen as a professional brand that cares about the customers.

Br
    Claus

I find much the same as ClausBP. Using the work around saves me having to manually turn on hot spot each time I use my Tomtom. Hands free phone and call notifications are a no go. The bit I don't understand is if the connection is via Bluetooth, and the phone is on 4G I am not quite sure why the hot spot turns on ? The Jures method does work, and unlike most methods, seems to keep working. (I haven t tried the "turn round 3 times, point to the north and pray to the god Omm" yet though !)