Bluetooth connectivity issues for Wi-Fi devices and iOS 13 - Page 11 — TomTom Community

Bluetooth connectivity issues for Wi-Fi devices and iOS 13

Comments

• FranciscowFranciscow Posts: 18 [Master Traveler]
    I got tired of waiting for a solution.
    After 15 years using tomtom I decided to try a Garmin and I am completely disbelieving. Garmin works with iOS 13, traffic works, communication between GPS and iOS 13 works, I don't know what magic Garmin developers did, but it's unbelievable.
  • aliasGEBaliasGEB Posts: 40 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Yes all we know.. It seem TT developers are not able to do their job.. very very negative for al TT users.
  • juresjures Posts: 101 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Tomtom is the only GPS today on market having issues with ios13! Garmin works flawless. Also changed and sold tomtom. Tomtom you are a dissaster.
  • GreatLakesTONYGreatLakesTONY Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    edited January 2020
    Now Tomtom has partnered with Huawei so things can only get better as we soon have to buy Huawei phones to get data on the GPS... sorry my sarcasm
    Jokes aside, looks like Tomtom is desperate seeking this partnership... things don't look good, maybe out of business soon?
  • Nigel ANigel A Posts: 123 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Now Tomtom has partnered with Huawei so things can only get better as we soon have to buy Huawei phones to get data on the GPS... sorry my sarcasm
    Jokes aside, looks like Tomtom is desperate seeking this partnership... things don't look good, maybe out of business soon?

Bugger, the Chinese will be tracking my Sunday morning bike ride, for my bacon sandwich !!!! - But then again it probably wont work, so no change there then ! ;)
  • IgglepigglewiggleIgglepigglewiggle Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This is great. Bought a Go Basic to replace an aged iPad mini and google maps I was using as a makeshift Sat nav only to find after sending one back to Amazon because it didn’t connect or receive traffic data that this is in fact a long standing problem with TomTom. Wish I had known before purchasing as I might have bought a Garmin instead. Only got this one because it was one of the Which? Recommended ones. I hope they fix this soon. Feeling very let down by TomTom.
  • FranciscowFranciscow Posts: 18 [Master Traveler]
    The worst is that tomtom continues to launch new gps devices highlighting the functionality (mydrive app) that does not work. Depressing.
    Just returned a second unit to amazon now I know it is a fault with the TomTom system and app. Bought a Garmin instead.
    If Tomtom starts to work on ios14 Beta now, they might catch up by Novembre.
  • Rider1100Rider1100 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Such a complicated and useless procedure to connect a BT device! Why don’t you simply acknowledge that your connectivity has stopped working. Like many other customers I have set, reset, turn on, turn off, update, unconnected, reconnected, hold my breath for 2 min (by the way that one is not in the procedure) ... it simply does not connect! Best case the device looks connected to the phone but the app MyDrive is unable to manage that connection. Very disappointing experience with TomTom.
    Tomtom, let us help you, 13.3.1 is out.....you need all the help you can get.
  • ArneDelfsArneDelfs Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Hi TomTom programmers, when will you finally release a software update for the GO 520 which will finally allow users again to connect their device with the iphone? Cannot be that difficult!
    After such a disappointing experience with my first TomTom I sent it back and now for few quid extra have a Garmin with digital traffic. It works. 3 moths since iOS 13. Not to have an update to allow BT connections to work properly is totally shoddy and poor customer service.
    It all seems like Tomtom is ready to close their business.
  • anfield68anfield68 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    really have had enough now had to reset re connect over 10 times yesterday.This is no good, Tomtom need to sort this problem once and for all . They start beta testing iOS 14 in June so get a grip give us all what we paid for.
  • Roger_30Roger_30 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am amazed that TomTom can get away with selling devices and the trading authorities have not stepped in. Went into Halfords and the guy I spoke to new about the product issues. So are they just as bad?
  • Cyborg1963Cyborg1963 Posts: 15 [Legendary Explorer]
    As I have already written in this post:
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1120585/why-wont-the-new-tomtom-rider-stay-cnnected-on-bluetooth-with-iphone#latest
    the only way for now to be able to use Tom Tom Trafic, is not to connect it to the MYDRYVE APP.
    I have tried many times to turn TOM TOM off and on again having turned on my Iphone 7 bluetooth and Hotspot / Tethering and it has always connected showing the traffic situation where I live.
    But when I tried to connect (between Iphone and TomTom) my Drive, everything stopped working.
    I turned everything off, deleted the account on MyDrive and reconnected Iphone and TomTom through Bluetooth and Hotspot / Tethering and they connected.
    Unfortunately, it is only a temporary solution and we hope that the developers of the APP will solve the problem.
    I will try to write to support again to find out if they have found solutions.

P.S. Sorry my english but i'm using a translator.
  • jicemanjiceman Posts: 21 [Master Explorer]
    Thank you for the suggestion about the MyDrive app. In my case, I have removed that App from my phone, but the problem remains. However, it appears that you are suggesting that the MyDrive account itself needs to be deleted. Is that correct? I have not tried that. In this case, it is not only the App on the phone, but the "cloud" account also that must not exist.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,254
    Superuser
    Hi @jiceman

I think what @Cyborg1963 is trying to suggest is.

Do not open My Drive App on your phone. As you have deleted it then do not reload it. Then he is saying do the following.

Open Bluetooth in Settings on phone and TT unit and pair them. This will only give you Hands free .

Now go to Settings on phone and Turn On the Phones Hotspot then open Settings/ Wifi on TT unit and select the Hotspot. This is now using the Data on your phone for the Traffic.

Do not delete the My Drive Account.

You may find Traffic works if you delete the TT unit from Bluetooth on the phone and just have the Hotspot/Wifi connection. I found that worked when I used a Mifi to connect my GO5200’s inbuilt Sim was not connecting I got the Traffic to work that way. Doing this will mean the hands free will not work.

Let us know how you get on.

Doug
    We all know for 4 months that it works through wifi hotspot. But that IS NOT a solution! Tomtom needs to repair BT connectivity!
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @jiceman

I think what @Cyborg1963 is trying to suggest is.

Do not open My Drive App on your phone. As you have deleted it then do not reload it. Then he is saying do the following.

Open Bluetooth in Settings on phone and TT unit and pair them. This will only give you Hands free .

Now go to Settings on phone and Turn On the Phones Hotspot then open Settings/ Wifi on TT unit and select the Hotspot. This is now using the Data on your phone for the Traffic.

Do not delete the My Drive Account.

You may find Traffic works if you delete the TT unit from Bluetooth on the phone and just have the Hotspot/Wifi connection. I found that worked when I used a Mifi to connect my GO5200’s inbuilt Sim was not connecting I got the Traffic to work that way. Doing this will mean the hands free will not work.

Let us know how you get on.

Doug

Perfect, only that for the connection between TomTom and iphone I use Bluetooth and hotspot / tethering and no wiFi and the MyDrive connection also works but only on the Tom Tom. When I also connect the iPhone with the MyDrive app ( installed on the smartphone) the whole system no longer connects.
    Then I remove the MyDrive app from the iPhone, try to reconnect everything with bluetooth and HotSpot and everything works.
    As a result I assume there is a bug in the MyDrive app.
    I hope I explained myself.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,254
    Superuser
    Hi @Cyborg1963

Based on what you have just posted are you saying that when you have Bluetooth and Hotspot / Tethering turned on the iPhone you have not selected the iPhones Hotpot in Wifi settings on the TT unit and Traffic works?

Regarding the question of there being a bug in the My Drive App I am not so sure. The My Drive App currently provides Handsfree, Traffic and Messaging perfectly with IOS12 and the problem arose when iOS 13 was issued. It would appear that now there is a problem with the iPhone accepting two connections from the same device via IOS13 and maybe TT need a change in IOS13 to restore the ability as a change in My Drive will not resolve the problem.

I recently attended a workshop at our local Apple Store and mentioned the issue. The presenter said that he never updates his equipment to the latest versions for quite sometime, not days but weeks, until he is fairly confident all the bugs have been resolved. He was not referring to the Beta versions but the Final releases. Maybe a lesson for us all.

Doug
    edited January 2020
    Doug
    Lesson is on tomtom not us!! ALL I repeat ALL other apps and devices work! I have now Garmin with dual BT connection + helmet on top! No issues whats o ever. Same no issues for Chineese Wayteq.

Its Tomtom who hasnt made their job at beta testing and did not adapt the ap to it!

Not only that we do not speak about final release, ios is at 13.3.1!!!! There will soon be ios14, do you mean that users must wait till the very end to final release that their tom toms must work?
    You are crazy and crazily defend tomtom all the time, you must be part of them
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @Cyborg1963

Based on what you have just posted are you saying that when you have Bluetooth and Hotspot / Tethering turned on the iPhone you have not selected the iPhones Hotpot in Wifi settings on the TT unit and Traffic works?

Regarding the question of there being a bug in the My Drive App I am not so sure. The My Drive App currently provides Handsfree, Traffic and Messaging perfectly with IOS12 and the problem arose when iOS 13 was issued. It would appear that now there is a problem with the iPhone accepting two connections from the same device via IOS13 and maybe TT need a change in IOS13 to restore the ability as a change in My Drive will not resolve the problem.

I recently attended a workshop at our local Apple Store and mentioned the issue. The presenter said that he never updates his equipment to the latest versions for quite sometime, not days but weeks, until he is fairly confident all the bugs have been resolved. He was not referring to the Beta versions but the Final releases. Maybe a lesson for us all.

Doug

I confirm that Tom Tom Traffic and MyDrive (on Tom Tom Raider) work by connecting my iPhone 7 only with Bluetooth and Hotspot / Tethering.
    When active Hotspot / Tethering the options appear:
    -1) "ACTIVATE WI-FI"
    -2) "BLUETOOTH AND USB ONLY"
    and I choose only Bluetooth and Usb, in this way the smartphone connects "almost" correctly to the Tom Tom Raider.
    Then I tried many times to turn the Tom Tom off and back on and reconnect to the smartphone.
    For the problem with the App My drive, there will be a problem of incompatibility with IOS 13, because when I connect the App to the Tom Tom with my smartphone, the connection no longer works.
    For the problem of waiting in updating IOS, unfortunately I could not know because this TomTom Raider was given to me this Christmas, only after I learned of all this.
    I tried right now to reconnect it
    qx6fdgmrpkhl.jpg