[Suggestion] A more easily readable compass in Guidance View — TomTom Community

[Suggestion] A more easily readable compass in Guidance View

Hello folks,

Although I really appreciate being able to know which direction I'm heading, sometimes I wish I could tell basically instantly. As of now, the "marker" isn't terrible, but because of it's triangular shape sometimes it takes a second or two to check where it is actually pointing at.

I was wondering if there wasn't a thing or two that could be done to make it more readable? Perhaps adding a bit of color to the "pointing edge"?

Very nice feature, the compass, but perhaps one could improve it slightly!

Kind regards,

Sahin

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,664
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Sahin96

It’s not a Compass as such, It's a Direction of travel indicator
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1636487/#Comment_1636487

As far as I'm aware the USA/Canada models have 'N' above the Direction of travel pointer and 'S' below the pointer

ATB YFM
  • Sahin96Sahin96 Posts: 12 [Master Traveler]
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Sahin96

It’s not a Compass as such, It's a Direction of travel indicator
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1636487/#Comment_1636487

As far as I'm aware the USA/Canada models have 'N' above the Direction of travel pointer and 'S' below the pointer

ATB YFM

I'm not sure exactly how the USA/Canada model looks like; same principle but with the letters N and S in their fixed position? I would not say that is necessary, but that is just my opinion of course.

But often when I'm driving I just want to give it a quick look, wanting to figure out which direction I'm headed, but perhaps due to the distance of my phone to my eyes and the angle it's mounted, I find myself looking at the pointer for a bit longer than I'd like.

For me it's then a matter of looking where the small "indentation/cut" in the triangle is, instead of directly being able to see where it's pointed at. So I thought a nice color on the pointing side or perhaps even a different design of the pointer might be interesting!

• AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    edited September 2019
    How would that be a plus point??

When driving you are changing from North to North South to East and to West and even sometimes South on a trip.

To a driver that would be the last thing on their mind when you are always changing the direction of travel be it for a short time or a long time depending where you are going.

When you look on a map of a highway it is always snaking in one direct to another all the time.

Then changing highways you go in another direction for a while and then switch to another highway and another direction.

To keep looking at your screen to see am I heading North or East or West why?

The most important thing is to get from point "A" to point "B" as fast as I can.

What direct my car is driving in at that moment is not important at all.

What would one do with the info anyway????

Keeping one's eyes on the road is the most important thing. Not what direction I am traveling in at the time I look at my smartphone screen.

You can not do anything about what directing the road is taking anyway.

I listen to the voice instruction to tell me what exit to take or what highway to take.

To look at your smartphone just to see that you might be traveling North and 5 minutes later you might be heading East so what.......

There is nothing you can do with that info at all.

Asprin wrote: »
    How would that be a plus point??

When driving you are changing from North to North South to East and to West and even sometimes South on a trip.

To a driver that would be the last thing on their mind when you are always changing the direction of travel be it for a short time or a long time depending where you are going.

When you look on a map of a highway it is always snaking in one direct to another all the time.

Then changing highways you go in another direction for a while and then switch to another highway and another direction.

To keep looking at your screen to see am I heading North or East or West why?

The most important thing is to get from point "A" to point "B" as fast as I can.

What direct my car is driving in at that moment is not important at all.

What would one do with the info anyway????

Keeping one's eyes on the road is the most important thing. Not what direction I am traveling in at the time I look at my smartphone screen.

You can not do anything about what directing the road is taking anyway.

I listen to the voice instruction to tell me what exit to take or what highway to take.

To look at your smartphone just to see that you might be traveling North and 5 minutes later you might be heading East so what.......

There is nothing you can do with that info at all.

Respectfully I'd like to say that I think it's definitely not for you to decide how useful or important that information can be to a person. Sure, you might not use it, that is fine, but others may very well have a way of using it. The fact that I opened this discussion should give you a slight indication of how much I value the function.

And especially if you, like me, think keeping your eyes on the road is important, you should definitely be in favor of anything improving the readability, right?
  • AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    I do not see this as a thing TomTom will spend any time on if any at all.

There are far more important things TomTom needs to work on.

Been using many different types of GPS units along with GPS app's for years now.

So what is useful and what is not is what this forum is about.

Let me correct you:

Never decided for others what is important or not.

I expressed my views as to the practically of that being added and it's usefulness.

PS:

No need to copy the complete post in a reply it is not needed.

Just post your reply would all be needed.

Asprin wrote: »
    I do not see this as a thing TomTom will spend any time on if any at all.

There are far more important things TomTom needs to work on.

Been using many different types of GPS units along with GPS app's for years now.

So what is useful and what is not is what this forum is about.

Let me correct you:

Never decided for others what is important or not.

I expressed my views as to the practically of that being added and it's usefulness.

PS:

No need to copy the complete post in a reply it is not needed.

Just post your reply would all be needed.

Yes, everything is in the name: "discussion". I don't think we need to linger on that subject.

As far as where TomTom has their priorities, that is for TomTom to decide. Doesn't mean in any way, that as a paying customer, I shouldn't write about a subject that concerns me.

But if you personally are not in favour of improving readability of a function/tool that already is there, I'm glad to know.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,664
    Superusers
    edited September 2019
    Hi
    @Sahin96

If you Tap on the direction of Travel Icon, above the + and - Signs
    To toggle between the North-up Overview Planning Map and the Driving Map view chosen in the Setting menus i.e... 2D (In direction of travel) or 3D

The Pointer for the North-up Planning Map is wider and more squat
    mulqpd39pdff.jpg
    You will see the direction of Travel Icon is thinner more pointed in the 2D in direction of travel or 3D Driving view

i82ldz9u5cf1.png
    ATB YFM
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Sahin96

If you Tap on the direction of Travel Icon, above the + and - Signs
    To toggle between the North-up Overview Planning Map and the Driving Map view chosen in the Setting menus i.e... 2D (In direction of travel) or 3D

The Pointer for the North-up Planning Map is wider and more squat
    mulqpd39pdff.jpg
    You will see the direction of Travel Icon is thinner more pointed in the 2D in direction of travel or 3D Driving view

i82ldz9u5cf1.png
    ATB YFM
    The arrow in map view is perfectly fine, wouldn't mind to have that arrow in guidance view.