I cannot save changes to an existing saved route, it remains unchanged, is this a bug? — TomTom Community

I cannot save changes to an existing saved route, it remains unchanged, is this a bug?

SWFSWF Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
The app (sw) version is 19.101.0014.411 (0) (19104/2019).
I've tried two ways to save a modified route:
1) Create a new route using the standard device method and save to My Routes. Bring up the saved route and apply the change (avoid part of route) and save changes.
2) Create a new route, apply a modification (avoid part of route) and then save to My Routes
Both methods fail to "remember" the modified route, only the original one remains
Do I need to enable some additional mode to get this feature to work, or is there a bug in the code?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,975 Superusers
    edited September 11
    Hi
    @SWF

If by planning a route you mean searching for a destination and the device calculated the Route all you have done is specify a Destination the device knows your present location and calculates the route in-between the two points

If you Route planned directly on the device is a .ITN Route
    The .ITN Route uses Start Destination and Stops, then the device plans the route between them
    The .ITN Route will will respond to Live Traffic and any route deviations BUT an .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created, if you miss a stop, the device will continuously attempt to guide you to the missed stop... You have to cancel the problem stop on the device to avoid it

Try... Plan your route... Then ask for and select the required Alternate route
    If you want to force the route to follow the Alternate route in the future, simply add a Stop or Stops to the Alternate part of the route... See Note (1)
    When your happy save your Modified route....

Note (1)
    When you add the extra Stops Zoom right into the road
    Don't put the stop on the wrong side of a dual track road (Journey loop back errors)
    Don't put the stop up a side-road... It may guide you though a built-up area via side streets back to your route, instead of a U-turn
    Don't put the stop on on a traffic Island always place a guidance stop further up road on the route after the traffic island exit

Note (2) the Alternate Route is only active for a one-off action for that route
    Unless you have installed Stop/Stops force the route.. The next time you run the saved route it will just calculate the route from A to B using the Route parameters in the Setting menu

ATB
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    Hello, Thanks for your input but I have to say that hasn't answered my question (which is why I clicked No) BUT I have additional information, see later (aside your information about a .ITN route, I will have to look into that). I am using the standalone device, nothing more, no Bluetooth/RDS interface etc.
    Tonight I called up the route, applied the desired changes (i.e. avoid a part of route) and the displayed map looked OK, good).
    I then set the device to sleep (thinking that it would remember the desired avoidance instruction, even if I couldn't save it to flash(?) or other non-volatile memory ) and left it for about 45 minutes (why I should do it this way needn't bother you now!). I then got in the car, fired up the device, the (or a) route was shown and I clicked drive and set off. I was expecting a left turn to avoid the road block (6 months!) and I pulled up at the expected diversion but it wasn't displayed. Just in case I'd forgotten it or got it wrong, I continued driving and then arrived at the road block. I then used "my satnav brain" to carry on whereupon the TomTom agreed.
    It seems (and this is only my opinion now) that any manually applied changes to the "defined route" are "volatile" i.e. they vanish over a certain period of time. I suspect this is why the hardware/software does not retain the modified route (in hw memory) or even "hang on to it" for a period of 45mins to an hour. It just resorts (by default) to the latest calculated route (which negates one's "special" input referencing known closed roads, even IF they are displayed as such on the user working map).
    I will experiment again next week, and apply the changes (avoid part of route) directly before I set off and see how that goes.
    Thanks though for your input, I appreciate that.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,975 Superusers
    edited September 12
    Hi
    @SWF

The NAV4 & NAV5 (Wi-fi) devices use 2 route types.... A route planned using the MyDrive Web Route planner and the 'Send to Device/Save & Sync' option... Saves a .GPX Track... its basicly a bread crumb track that you follow

A route planned using the MyDrive Web Route planner and the 'Send Destination or Send Stops' option... Saves a ITN Route.
    A Route planned directly on the device is a .ITN Route
    An .ITN Route uses a Start and Destination (Plus Optional Stops/Waypoints) and the device plans the route between the Start (Optional stops) and Destination....
    An .ITN Route will will respond to Live Traffic and any route deviations BUT an .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created, if you miss a stop, the device will continuously attempt to guide you to the missed stop... You have to cancel the problem stop on the device to avoid it

The MyDrive Web Route planner
    x9kkavu7m0o4.jpg
    Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com
    Route saved into MyRoutes on the Device
    qkw01ev5tv6s.jpg

Also With a route planned... Tap 4Dot (....) Menu --> the route modifying sub menus will be 'Current Route' (.ITN) or 'Current Track' (.GPX)

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    Thank you for information, I will revisit the web based application. I think I did look at that briefly and didn't find a way of avoiding a part of the calculated route. However if waypoints (or stops) can be added that should be a suitable workaround. Thanks again.