Remove write-protection from micro SD card? — TomTom Community

Remove write-protection from micro SD card?

My TomTom works without the micro SD card I inserted. I'd now like to use it for other purposes. How do I remove the write-protection please?

Best Answer

• DigitalGeoffDigitalGeoff Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks Doug. I've used 2 card adapters and the switches on each is off. Anyway, I had put a second card in the GO5000 and was able to remove it and format it without problem (as you've found). The original card, however, continues to throw up this problem. They only cost a few quid so I shall put it back in the GO5000 and forget about it. Thanks for your inputs. May all your journeys be traffic-jam free!

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,940 Superuser
    Hi @DigitalGeoff

If the write protect switch on the side of the SD card is in the Off position put it in your PC and Fully Format, not Quick Format it, too Fat32.

Doug
    Thanks for the prompt response Doug. I'm afraid it is a micro-SD card (SDHC) so there is no switch. When I put it in my PC the format command responds: "The disk is write Protected"
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,940 Superuser
    Hi @DigitalGeoff

I have had no such problem taking a Micro SD card out of a GO5000 or similar unit and formatting so the only thing I can then suggest is the card adapter has a switch which is in the Protect position.

Doug
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks Doug. I've used 2 card adapters and the switches on each is off. Anyway, I had put a second card in the GO5000 and was able to remove it and format it without problem (as you've found). The original card, however, continues to throw up this problem. They only cost a few quid so I shall put it back in the GO5000 and forget about it. Thanks for your inputs. May all your journeys be traffic-jam free!