My Places - Save and re-load at will? — TomTom Community

My Places - Save and re-load at will?

markolarkomarkolarko Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
I have over 100 My Places. I am travelling in Argentina and South Africa. I want only the Argentinian My Places to be visible in Argentina. Is there any way to save my South African Places so I can reload them when I get to SA?
All my places are numerically sequential for each country but scrolling though 100's of places is boring!! Can anyone advise as to the best solution?

Best Answer

• markolarkomarkolarko Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks Lucy for helping. I have now managed to find a solution which while being very long winded does the job. It involves downloading the dump file and then converting /extracting the OV2 details as a separate file, manipulating the Places data which is then re-imported into TomTom. It works fine. Hopefully TomTom Inc will consider people who are world travellers and need to separate My Places by geographically defined area.

Answers

• LucifyLucify Posts: 124 [Exalted Navigator]
    Which device do you have?
  • markolarkomarkolarko Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks Lucy for helping. I have now managed to find a solution which while being very long winded does the job. It involves downloading the dump file and then converting /extracting the OV2 details as a separate file, manipulating the Places data which is then re-imported into TomTom. It works fine. Hopefully TomTom Inc will consider people who are world travellers and need to separate My Places by geographically defined area.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,516
    Superusers
    edited September 2019
    Hi
    @markolarko

Re... My Places (Not .Ov2 POI Caegories)

As far as I'm aware the Menu containing the MyPlaces list and the Display of MyPlaces on the Map is dependent on which Map you have selected as the active Map

I have 38 MyPlaces loaded... Mostly UK & Europe + 1 in the USA... The statue of liberty and 1 in Australia... The Philip Island MotoGP Race Circuit

Switch to the Europe Map... MyPlaces shows 36 MyPlaces
    Switch to the USA Map... MyPlaces Shows 1 MyPlace (The statue of liberty)
    Switch to the Australia Map... MyPlaces Shows 1 MyPlace (The Philip Island Moto GP Race Circuit)

Maybe Useful.... Many users have asked for the facility to backup their MyPlaces to a PC
    The MyDrive Route planner allows you to download your data from the Tomtom Cloud
    3d6xrq52c0wz.png
    The file looks like unusable Gobbledegook, the MyPlaces can be found in the file
    Click on image to enlarge....
    x3keyqdqe377.png

User Ethoz....
    Posted a link to a excellent Tomtom MyPlaces to .Ov2 POI file converter tool
    https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://chbworld.net/software/tomtompoi.html&prev=search

There's a Mac & PC version ....

Download and install TomtomPOI.exe from the above link
    Note... I have Virus checked the file with Avast Anti Virus all OK
    Run TomtomPOI

Ist Click on Open...
    Find/Load the (Your user name goes here)_MyDrive.json.gz file
    Saved from the Tomtom MyDrive Web Route planner

Click on Image to enlarge
    a3bdf3f4-a5bd-46bf-9447-683ddf169f40.png
    2nd Click on Copy

3rd Click on Yes
    5567983e-03cb-46bc-a0f8-c09e5d822af2.png
    4th Click on Yes
    0d841302-e88f-4af0-bb4a-764126dc21d6.png
    5th Click on Save
    a8fe2080-c483-47ce-b413-b1606cd50aba.png
    Name the .Ov2 file & Save to the PC Desktop

Note... You can edit the contents of the POI Category before saving the file using the.Ov2 POI file converter tool

You could also edit the POI Category using one of the many On-line tools

ATB YFM