Is the new TomTom software designed to make you use Google Maps? — TomTom Community

Is the new TomTom software designed to make you use Google Maps?

A message for the developers.

I've just purchased a Go Premium X (as TomTom are withdrawing support for my Go Live), and am beginning to wonder why!

If I want to check the time when I don't have a route planned, then I need to look at my phone, (car clock difficult to read).
If I want to put in a route with way-points when out and about, I need a phone with Internet, (I don't have download on my phone as I have no other use for it).

If I need my phone to utilize my satnav then why don't I just use my phone as the satnav!!

My old Go Live could do all of the above and allow me to calculate alternative routes easily - I don't want flash graphics, I want useful; can we go back to that, please.

I prefer to have a satnav so my phone is never out when driving but this new incarnation means that I cannot use the TomTom fully when out and about, only for simple journeys that have no way-points so I can 'tweak' routes.

Sadly, the only improvement over Go Live that I've found is the bigger screen, apart from that I feel I've gone back to a really basic satnav from the turn of the century.

Rant over :)

Comments

• Totally_Lost_AgainTotally_Lost_Again Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
    I have set up way-points using my Go Basic, which I understand is a cut-down version of the Go Premium. This function is well hidden though. If I remember rightly (I don't have my SatNav with me right now), what I did was:

1. Define the start and end points for my planned route (I assume you can do this).
    2. Use Quick Search to find another destination, and show this on the map. Click this destination on the map, and then the resulting pop-up menu button. There was an option in the drop-down list to add this destination to my planned route.
    3. Repeat for any other destinations.
    4. Drive.

When I passed one of these "destinations" whilst driving, the voice announced it as a "way-point".

It took me a while to find this. It's not very elegant, and there might be a far better way of doing this, but it worked for me. Because it was a bit fiddly, I saved this as a route to make it easier next time.

I didn't use a phone.

Does that help?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,976 Superusers
    Hi
    @DeborahND
    DeborahND wrote: »
    (Snip) I've just purchased a Go Premium X (as TomTom are withdrawing support for my Go Live), and am beginning to wonder why!
    If I want to check the time when I don't have a route planned, then I need to look at my phone, (car clock difficult to read)
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Tap the row of Connection Icons (Screen top Right)
    Time is displayed (Screen top Left)
    Tap on the (<) Icon (Screen top Left) to return to the 2D North-up overview planning Map<br>
    DeborahND wrote: »
    If I want to put in a route with way-points when out and about, I need a phone with Internet, (I don't have download on my phone as I have no other use for it)

If you want to plan a A to B route on the device where A is your present location

On the device
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Search
    Enter the address say Liverpool
    Column Left... The device offers Liverpool... Tap on the offered Liverpool
    Column Right... The device offers Liverpool... Tap on the offered Liverpool
    A quick menu opens with a Black Icon with 3Dots + The Drive Icon
    Tap the 'Drive' Icon... The route will calculate the route

If you want to plan a A to B route on the device where A is your NOT present location

On the device
    Enter the address say Liverpool
    Column Left... The device offers Liverpool... Tap on the offered Liverpool
    Column Right... The device offers Liverpool... Tap on the offered Liverpool
    Tap on the 'Black Icon with 3Dots'... Select Use a a Starting Point

Enter the address say Manchester
    Column Left... The device offers Manchester... Tap on the offered Manchester
    Column Right... The device offers Manchester... Tap on the offered Manchester
    Tap on the 'Black Icon with 3Dots'... Select Use a a Starting Point

To add stops/waypoints to the above examples

First calculate the route as above
    Enter the address say Warrington
    Column Left... The device offers Warrington... Tap on the offered Warrington
    Column Right... The device offers Warrington... Tap on the offered Warrington
    Tap on the 'Black Icon with 3Dots'... Select Add to Current Route
    The route will calculate the route to include Warrington

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

In addition to yamfazman's advice once you have created a route from A to B you can move the map around until you find somewhere you want to include on the route. If you scroll in so you can clearly select the road then press the screen for a second or so a black Icon will appear on the road and again if you Tap the 3 dots on the menu in the sub menu is the option to add to the current route.

Doug