How do I stop my device trying to switch off every 30 secs? — TomTom Community

How do I stop my device trying to switch off every 30 secs?

I bought this new Go 520 earlier this year and eventually worked out how to update it. I can't yet find out how to remove speed cameras. I was in Spain where as yet I have no WiFi link and the device suddenly started to demand that I updated it - quite impossible, of course. From then on every 30 secs the screen closed down and demanded that I updated. I was unable to do and the device was not only useless but very dangerous indeed (I'm a retired Health and Safety expert - that is my professional judgement).

How do I prevent this ever happening again. I was fortunate to have my Garmin with me, so I could use that, despite it not having mapped for 2 km or more around my Spanish house.

How do I remove speed cameras totally from my device?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,058
    Superusers
    Hi
    @DavidWalland

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power
    When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

Try using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter
    The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors WONT run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

ATB YFM
  • DavidWallandDavidWalland Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    This problem has absolutely nothing to do with power supply. It is wholly caused by the updating software. I had fully updated the device before I left. It must have checked on an open wifi somewhere en-route. It kept insisting that I update it every 30 secs, when I was unable to do so. It would not let me turn off the the updates. This is seriously dangerous software. If you are depending on the Satnav in town and it starts this pantomime you would be very likely to be put at serious risk of an accident.

This is a software issue. My power supply in the car gives the right level of power. I'm quite able to work this out and would be grateful if you would reply to my actual question, not what TomTom would like it to be.
  • Totally_Lost_AgainTotally_Lost_Again Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
    @DavidWalland,

I don't have a Go 520, but if there were a way to disable Wi-Fi transmission, I believe that would solve this problem. If yours is like my Go Basic, it doesn't have a way to do that. This, in my view, is a serious omission. Any device that has built-in Wi-Fi should have the ability to turn it off at will.
    Superusers
    edited September 2019
    Hi
    @DavidWalland

Firstly Once you have initiated an update, you can't usually stop/cancel it, you have to wait for the the device to update or the servers at Tomtom to time out

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

If you have initiated an update and haven't chosen to update the offered updates ONE AT A TIME, you have created a download queue....
    You will have to wait for the the queue of updates to install on to the device or the queue on the servers at Tomtom to time out one update at a time....

I note you do not have Wi-fi available... Do you have you any connection to the Internet ??? if 'Yes' try Option (2) connecting over USB below....

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re Go 520 normally update using Wi-Fi...

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,835
    Superuser
    edited September 2019
    Hi @DavidWalland

Firstly please note that this is a Customer based forum where fellow TomTom owners try to help one another if they have problems. @YamFazMan is a customer like you and not an Employee of TomTom and he has helped countless numbers with ideas to try and answer their questions

Firstly the Go520 does not randomly talk to open WiFi signals as you suggest. Bear in mind I am assuming you have the unit connected to your phone whilst you use it therefore you are connected to the TomTom servers for Traffic Data etc every few minutes

Why do you want to delete cameras? You can stop it giving you warnings of them.

If my unit started acting as you describe I would try a Factory Reset. This will delete all your Favourites (MyPlaces), and any POI and Route files you may have loaded on it. If you have fully set the unit up originally then the Favs etc will be stored in your Account and so sync back on your unit after the reset

My Unit is telling me I have Map updates available which I am ignoring until I am at Home and can connect to my WiFi. It only tells me when I switch on.

Doug
  • Totally_Lost_AgainTotally_Lost_Again Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
    I think DavidWalland's problem is not so much a case of being able to do updates, but being able to not do updates -- whilst he is driving.
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,632
    Superuser
    Hi all

@DavidWalland

You are on a forum of mutual aid between users. All the people who answered you here are users like you. If you want to contact the official support TomTom is at the bottom of this page, the classic ==> Support/"Contact us".
    List of TomTom phone contacts.
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1115662/phone-numbers-to-contact-customer-support-new

As @DougLap and @YamFazMan suggests, the triggering of these updates did not happen by accident.
    In principle for your type of device you use Bluetooth sharing for TomTom direct services (traffic, MyDrive, mobile speed cameras). This does not apply to speed camera updates.
    In addition, you would have enabled the sharing of WiFi connection of your smartphone with your TomTom and launched these updates involuntarily?

Maybe try to remove the Wifi connection in your GO520 with your smartphone. Here, how to do:
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/gox20x/html/en-gb/index.htm#ForgettingaWi-Finetwork-Prato.htm

If you can not do this in your GO520, try removing the Wi-Fi connection sharing with your TomTom from the settings on your smartphone.

Otherwise, contact TomTom support directly for more help.
  • kinfalikinfali Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I bought this new Go 520 earlier this year and eventually worked out how to update it. I can't yet find out how to remove speed cameras. I was in Spain where as yet I have no WiFi link and the device suddenly started to demand that I updated it - quite impossible, in of course. From then on every 30 secs the screen closed down and demanded that I updated. I was unable to do and the device was not only useless but very dangerous indeed (I'm a retired Health and Safety expert - that is my professional judgement).

How do I prevent this ever happening again. I was fortunate to have my Garmin with me, so I could use that, despite it not having mapped for 2 km or more around my Spanish house.

How do I remove speed cameras totally from my device?

Does the Setting switch back to 30 seconds or does the screen just go blank at 30 seconds? I was curious and went to Settings>Display>Screen timeout and set mine to 10 minutes and after 10 minutes, the screen went black.. So I was wondering if the setting isn't changing or is it just turning off earlier than the setting.
    Superusers
    edited September 2019
    Hi
    @kinfali
    kinfali wrote: »
    (Snip) I was curious and went to Settings>Display>Screen timeout and set mine to 10 minutes and after 10 minutes, the screen went black.. So I was wondering if the setting isn't changing or is it just turning off earlier than the setting.
    This topic is about a NAV5 GO 520 (Wi-Fi) device
    Which Tomtom Device or Model are you talking about ???

ATB YFM
  • DavidWallandDavidWalland Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    I never have my TomTom connected to my mobile phone. I believe very
    strongly that the reason I have so far avoided being hacked is my total
    avoidance of the IoT and my refusal to link my kit except when totally
    necessary. I *ONLY* update through my computer, as that adds another level
    of AV/hacking protection to the process.

Before leaving for Spain, I updated the maps but set the speed camera
    update to "do not update". (As a retired Health and Safety expert I want
    to remove all traces of speed camera data, as I regard it as totally
    immoral).

Now I had not seen any update warning for the other update at all. In
    Spain, I had to use my Garmin because the TomTom Go 520 repeatedly, every
    30 secs said it was going to sleep to download these two updates. I had
    not even turned it on between updating it here in NE England, where I live,
    right through to waiting to come off the ferry in Bilbao.

I was briefly able to turn these updates off for a day, because there is a
    free public wifi in Pinoso, my local town 11 km from my house, and I could
    switch them off while (very reluctantly) connected to it. I actually tried
    to update, simply because the system was unusable as it was, but the update
    failed. At this point I switched them off with the on-device software
    switches. The device functioned well for the rest of the day but had
    turned the updates on the following day with the regular 30 second sleep to
    update issue back on. The system had greyed out the software switches in
    the "on" position and I have found no way of changing that except when
    linked to the internet.

I would appreciate assistance from others but please understand that I have
    a lot of technical experience: I started programming in the late 1960s, had
    to become a "user" in the late 1980s as I rose in my profession, designed a
    significant intranet system in the late 1990s and early 2000s and have been
    Life Member 380 of AMSAT since 1974. Please don't write down to me as I
    will react very badly to this - as is rather obvious...

I would have gone directly to TomTom if I could find any active link to them.

I will argue the morality of speed camera data availability off this
    forum if anyone wishes, as I don't think this is an appropriate place
    to do so. It is banned in several countries - just not enough.

David Walland
    Superusers
    edited September 2019
    Hi
    @DavidWalland

Try contacting Tomtom Support and asking them to deactivate/remove your Free Speed Cam subscription ???
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1115662/phone-numbers-to-contact-customer-support-new/p1

ATB YFM
  • lourieslouries Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I never have my TomTom connected to my mobile phone. I believe very
    strongly that the reason I have so far avoided being hacked is my total
    avoidance of the IoT and my refusal to link my kit except when totally
    necessary. I *ONLY* update through my computer, as that adds another level
    of AV/hacking protection to the process.

Before leaving for Spain, I updated the maps but set the speed camera
    update to "do not update". (As a retired Health and Safety expert I want
    to remove all traces of speed camera data, as I regard it as totally
    immoral).

Now I had not seen any update warning for the other update at all. In
    Spain, I had to use my Garmin because the TomTom Go 520 repeatedly, every
    30 secs said it was going to sleep to download these two updates. I had
    not even turned it on between updating it here in NE England, where I live,
    right through to waiting to come off the ferry in Bilbao.

I was briefly able to turn these updates off for a day, because there is a
    free public wifi in Pinoso, my local town 11 km from my house, and I could
    switch them off while (very reluctantly) connected to it. I actually tried
    to update, simply because the system was unusable as it was, but the update
    failed. At this point I switched them off with the on-device software
    switches. The device functioned well for the rest of the day but had
    turned the updates on the following day with the regular 30 second sleep to
    update issue back on. The system had greyed out the software renewing your id switches in
    the "on" position and I have found no way of changing that except when
    linked to the internet.

I would appreciate assistance from others but please understand that I have
    a lot of technical experience: I started programming in the late 1960s, had
    to become a "user" in the late 1980s as I rose in my profession, designed a
    significant intranet system in the late 1990s and early 2000s and have been
    Life Member 380 of AMSAT since 1974. Please don't write down to me as I
    will react very badly to this - as is rather obvious...

I would have gone directly to TomTom if I could find any active link to them.

I will argue the morality of speed camera data availability off this
    forum if anyone wishes, as I don't think this is an appropriate place
    to do so. It is banned in several countries - just not enough.

David Walland

Scroll down to the bottom of the menu and tap the "Screen Timeout" icon. Choose the period of inactivity required to turn off your Android phone's screen. Tap 15 or 30 seconds; or one, two or 10 minutes. If you want the screen to never turn off, tap "Never Turn Off."