Manage community content not available with the START 52 device TomTom — TomTom Community

Manage community content not available with the START 52 device TomTom

After a corrupt map nightmare on my start 20, I went out and bought a start 52 today and wanted to put a backup of my favourites on it but there's no "manage community content" option when I right-click the my drive icon.

I've had s whole two weeks of inconvenience and Frustration with my TomTom devices and none of them are resolved.

How can i.put a favourites .ov2 file onto my new Start 52 device and why-oh-why can we not make backups of the whole device so it can be restored if it all goes tits-up?

So frustrating!

Also, the map on my new device is 15 months old but there's no update available, just map corrections and the download button for that doesn't work either.

I remember when TomToms were easy!

Help!

Best Answers

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,969 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @Hashtag

Welcome to the community!

I have fixed the subscription for your device. Now when you connect it to MyDrive Connect, you will see an update for the latest map.

With regards to uploading or adding POI's the method has changed compared to Start 20.

Now you need to use MyDrive web to serve the purpose.

Watch this helpful video below-

Regards
    Vikram :)

Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,939 Superuser
    Hi @Hashtag

Further to @VikramK ‘s post and regarding your comment about backing up your device the following may help you.

On your Start 52 there is a an option called MyPlaces. This is the old favourites. If you Tap and hold for a second or so on a position on the map an icon will appear and a menu. In the menu are 3 vertical dots which if Tapped gives you another menu including Add to My Places. The same option appears in other menus. When you now connect your unit to the PC with My Drive Connect running the unit Syncs the data on it to your account. When you open the MyDrive webpage and log into your account the MyPlace should now show up there. As you add more My Places to your unit or in MyDrive or add POI and Route files they should show up in your account on My Drive. Now should you ever need to restore your device to Factory Settings and so lose all that data it is backed up in your account and will be synced back to your device when it connects to your account.

Doug
  • HashtagHashtag Posts: 21 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Thank you both. I have downloaded the new map but this gives me two more questions.

The map I downloaded is now on my device but the old, 15-month-old map is still on my device as well so I only had 144MB of space left on the device so I have had to install a smaller map so that I can import my old favourites.ov2 as a POI but now I cannot seem to import the .ov2 into my new device. I have pressed the import button and it has let me change the name but while I was updating to a smaller map to save space, it hasn't transferred over so...

1) How do I transfer the .ov2 file to my device (I think I've done everything right)
    2) How do I remove the map from my device that came with my device, it's taking up a lot of space.

Thank you!
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,976 Superusers
    edited September 4
    Hi
    @Hashtag

The Maps get larger each update the Full Europe map is 8+ GB
    Which is larger than the 8GB of on-board Memory of the NAV4 devices like your Start 20
    You need to purchase a Branded Class 10 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC Memory card
    Most retail outlets will sell them.... Curry's PC World the lager Tesco Salisbury etc...
    I use a 16GB Micro SDHC Memory card... Price usually around £5 to £10 UKP (A small one off price pay for continued Life time Free map updates)

Tomtom Video... Where to find the memory card slot on your device

If you wish to just stick with using the internal memory Instead of using a Micro USB Card
    Tomtom have released the Europe map in different Map Cuts (Map zones)... Will any of these new Maps suit your travel requirements ???
    More information Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1660206/#Comment_1660206

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

Just to add to yamfazmans comments I think it is most unlikely that you have your old map as well as your updated map on the unit. as the latest map is too big to leave space for the old one to still be there. If you go into Maps in settings and select change map I think you will find you only have the one map.

To get the Favourites file added to your device you really need to free up space on your device. To do that it you either go into My Drive Connect and My Content and Tap on the map and see if one of the smaller European regional maps will work for you . If so then replace the map you have downloaded by the smaller one thus freeing up the space on the units internal memory. Now open the Tom Tom My Drive Webpage and log into your account where you can then add Poi files to the account. When the unit is connected to your PC and My Drive is running the POI file will sync to your device.

It would be useful if you were to download a small. map like Venezuela to your device so I have flagged this to @VikramK to see if he can add it to your account. If he does then download it , it is very small and leave it lying permanently on the internal memory. This map will help if you have any problem with an update of your main Map which results in you losing the map. With the small map present you can still start the unit and reload the lost map. Keep an eye out here for any comments from Vikram.

If you add the suggested extra memory then you can consider changing back to the Full European map and its updates which because of their size will be downloaded to the extra memory card.

Hope that helps.

Doug
    645kw3ttijvo.jpg
    The problem I had with loading the .ov2 was that I needed to sign into mydrive on the device and yes, I absolutely have two maps. Check it out.
    So how do I remove the UK and RoI map?
    Hi Hashtag

See steps on this FAQ-https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25331

@DougLap

Doug, Venezuela would only be compatible with devices that come with world maps.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,939 Superuser
    Hi @Hashtag

I interpreted your original comments that the latest map you added was an update of the original. I see now that they are different maps.

Hope you get it sorted.

Comment duly noted @VikramK

Doug
    edited September 5
    Hi @Hashtag

In case your travel requirements are limited to to UK and ROI then I can help you activate just that map and remove the Europe from the device.

UK and ROI is smaller in size and so just having one map will free up space.

Regards
    Have a question? Ask!
    Exactly! Would you be able to leave the Europe map but remove the UK and ROI?
    Hi @hashtag

I have asked the team to create some jobs which will remove the maps from your device.

Connect it to MyDrive Connect and let the jobs get processed.

Disconnect the device and do a soft reset.

Connect again and check for fresh updates.

Regards
    Have a question? Ask!
    Hi Vikram,

That's great. I have followed your instructions and now my device has the UK and ROI maps and much more space on my device but now I am back where we started, I am unable to update the UK and ROI map because after checking for updates there is nothing to show. Also, Map share will not install onto my device.

Thank you for helping me so far!

Kind Regards,

Mark.
    Hi Mark

Just do a soft reset and connect the device to MyDrive Connect. You should see an update for UK and ROI map now.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    I am having a frustrating time with the second Start 52 I've bought.

The first one came with UK and ROI maps that didn't show up in MyDrive connect. I was upgraded to a European map which filled up all the space on my device. I would have been happy with the Europe map but there was no way to remove the UK and ROI map so just used a section of the Europe map that included the UK.

Long story short, I have replaced it under warranty and have now got another Start 52 but I have the same problem. I updated NavCore4 and then the only update I was offered was Mapshare but I am unable to download it, the button clicks but goes nowhere, I am so fed-up with this now!

I just want to be able to update my device with the map that was on it at purchase and to be able to download Mapshare and other updates.

The map I currently have on it is United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland 1011.9039.

I had exactly the same problem with my last device and it was never properly resolved.

Can somebody please help.
    Vikram,

If I only I had seen this before I went out to exchange my device today! This is the map that I needed all along!

I now have another device with exactly the same problem!

Can you *please* add the UK and ROI to my new device please?

I will delete the old Start 52 device I have as I sent it back to the retailer and got another one.

Best regards,

Mark.
    Or if you could move the new UK&ROI map to my new device that would be great.
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,097 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @Hashtag

I've added the UK & ROI map update on your new START 52 device, please check for the updates in MyDrive Connect and confirm the same.

Regards, lampard
    Help others find useful content by clicking the like button and selecting the best answer to your question! You can check out our Knowledge Base and find the best comments on the Community here.
    Most important of all, have fun and be kind to one another!

edited September 12
    Thank you for moving the UK and ROI map to my account. Installed it but on my device it was still showing the older version so I restarted my device and now I have this. Before this I still had the problem of being unable to download mapshare updates or speed cameras; the options are there and the button is clickable but click is all it does, it goes nowhere.

I cannot reinstall the map as the option is greyed out and I don't want to install the Europe map because I'm not 100% sure the UK and ROI map isn't on my device.

I do wonder why TomTom removed the option of being able to edit the file system like we could with the old One devices, for instance because I'd probably be able to fix this myself much more quickly and not bother you over something I could fix myself.

I'd like to say thanks for moving the maps over though but I would like to be able to use them!

Hope you can help.

nz5f03dzdusw.jpg
    Hi @Hashtag

This is odd, the backend shows that your UK map is installed correctly, can you make a soft reset (Press and hold the On/Off button until you hear the drum sounds and the device restarts)and confirm if it's showing you the same message?

Regards, lampard

Help others find useful content by clicking the like button and selecting the best answer to your question! You can check out our Knowledge Base and find the best comments on the Community here.

It's still showing the same message.

I did a reset by holding the button down and got some geeky info about the device on a DOS-style screen before it restarted but it's still saying that no maps are available.

I don't know if this will help but after I successfully installed the map, the version was still 1011 and not 1035 which is why I turned the device off (not put to sleep) to see if that would give me the version I downloaded but no joy so far.
    edited September 16
    Hi there again,

I've removed the existing UK map on your device which seems to be corrupted, please follow the steps in the link here to apply the changes and re-download the map on your device. If this doesn't help then I'll assign you the western EU map for a time being till we figure what going wrong.

Let me know how it goes!

Cheers, lampard

Hi Lampard,

I'm sorry to say that after plugging my device in and seeing whatever you did work it's magic, I followed the instructions in the link you gave me, redownloaded the UK and ROI map, it appeared in install but I have the same message on my device about having no maps available.

I'd be happy with the Europe map if it was for a lifetime if I knew that the UK and ROI map was really gone from my device because when I tried this before with my previous device, I had both Europe and UK and ROI maps which left me 144MB free on the device so I had no room for adding .ov2 files etc.

Just one other thing that is still unresolved and that's that I haven't been able to add community mapshare updates or speed cameras. The install button is green and clickable in Mydrive connect but it doesn't seem to.point to anything and it doesn't redirect so I can download them.

Thanks again for your help.
    Hi @Hashtag

Thanks for confirming this! We've seen a similar report about the 'no maps found' error on START device even after successful installation of UK map. I've assigned the map of Western Europe (around 4.3GB) for the time being till we investigate this.

I can't see any speed camera's installed on your device. Once you download the Western Europe map, please go to My Content at the top left of the page on MyDrive>Under MY SPEED CAMERAS, click install. Let me know if this does the trick for you!

About the mapshare update, I'll need to check with the team and come back to you!

Cheers, lampard

Thanks, lampard,

I'm at work right now but I can install the Europe map and follow your instructions about the speed cameras and other stuff when I get in later.

Could you please work your magic and make sure my UK and ROI will be removed when i.plug my device back in later because then I will have enough space for the Europe map and other things like my .ov2 files.

I'll get back to you once I'm back from work and I've installed the Europe map some time this Monday afternoon.

Thanks, Mark.