I have a Rider 550 - route blockage avoidance — TomTom Community

I have a Rider 550 - route blockage avoidance

RasorbillRasorbill Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited September 2019 in RIDER
The manual refers to the route blockage avoidance mechanism, which is accessed by tapping the location indicator when in guidance mode. However, when I tap the location indicator, no route avoidance or blockage avoidance buttons are displayed. Why not?
Also when going off track due to a route blockage, the Tomtom keeps trying to return me to the site of the route blockage rather than directing me back to the track further on. This can continue for many miles.
I am getting really frustrated with this satnav.

Best Answers

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 478 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Accepted Answer
    I totally agree with you that the manual is not clear on this point.

It talks about Current Route or Current Track menu but moat options are only for Current Route. (only the options with track in the description are in the Current Track menu.
    It would be much clearer if there ware separate Current Route and Current Track sections.

We have different manuals for mine its page 140 and 142 download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/Rider_Wi-Fi/refman/TomTom-RIDER-EU-UM-en-gb.pdf

But with my simple trick its easy to find your own alternative. In most cases you can also just follow the diversion signs.

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,886 Moderator
    Hi @Rasorbill

Are you trying this when you already have a route planned on the device?

As per the manual, you can use this functionality with a planned route.

I tried the same steps on a RIDER 550 and it just re-routed to avoid that section of the route.

Regards
    Vikram
  • RasorbillRasorbill Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Yes, I was following a planned track, and I have looked at the manual so I do not understand why I was not able to access the appropriate options.
    @VikramK I think @Rasorbill is using a Track. For tracks there is no blockage avoidance mechanism.

I asked for a option to enter a road blockage in the Rider so it can recalculate around the blockage multiple times on this forum but up to now no response.

TomTom paces Tracks in My Routes and when you upload a GPX file with MyDrive it will always be synced as a Track. So because tracks are in MyRoutes users don't no the difference between a Route and a Track

Because the Rider will recalculate the route back to the closest point of the Track it will send the users back to the roadblock.There is no proper way to see the actual track because it recalculates so you can't just zoom out en find the best route.

A simple trick is to stop and reload your track an don't hit Drive. Now the track will be displayed unchanged. Zoom in and find a alternative route to your track.
    When you at the track hit Drive for navigation instructions. This way you also don;t get all the deceptive navigation instructions.

I also have a little program (below) to display the original trackpoints on screen as POI's.
    In that case you only have to zoom out an find a alternative route to your track.
    Roadrider, that was helpful thank you. But I am still somewhat confused as the Rider 550 manual on page 125 states that the road blockage avoidance option should be available whether you are following a route or a track
    Accepted Answer
    I totally agree with you that the manual is not clear on this point.

It talks about Current Route or Current Track menu but moat options are only for Current Route. (only the options with track in the description are in the Current Track menu.
    It would be much clearer if there ware separate Current Route and Current Track sections.

We have different manuals for mine its page 140 and 142 download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/Rider_Wi-Fi/refman/TomTom-RIDER-EU-UM-en-gb.pdf

But with my simple trick its easy to find your own alternative. In most cases you can also just follow the diversion signs.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,886 Moderator
    edited September 2019
    Thanks to both of you for spotting this.

I tested this myself today and wanted to confirm that this function will not work when a track is loaded.

It is difficult for me to say right now if this is the desired behavior for a track because it contradicts with what is mentioned in the user guide.

Let me get some clarification on it. I will post back.

Thanks,
    Vikram
    VikramK, thank you for your input andI look forward to hearing from you in due course.
    Vikram, thank you for coming back and clarifying that. As you say, the manual is a bit confusing, but you have explained it well.