TomTom Rider 550 - Pair 2 heads, but use only 1 at a time - Possible?? — TomTom Community

TomTom Rider 550 - Pair 2 heads, but use only 1 at a time - Possible??

HimslefHimslef Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
Having used a mobile phone for the past 3 years with great success, when the phone I was using asa GPS finally stopped updating I purchased a TomTom550.

So far my experience has been "satisfactory' at best. The TomTom display is best described as average, but it is easier to use with gloves on. The maps are adequate, and the offline planning is OK, but lacking when comparied to other route planning sites.

All of these short comings I could accept if the TomTom Bluetooth connectivity wasn't put to shame by the cheapest mobile phone.

Here is my problem:

I have two helmets, both with Sena headsets. One is the Sena 10U and the other the Sena SMH5.

On both headsets I've completed a factory reset and the headsets are running the latest firmware from Sena

My problem is that I wish to pair both headsets with the TomTom 550 so that either helmet will connect with the TomTom when I power on the headset. I will only use one helmet at a time.

So far I've failed to do this. Both headsets will pair with the TomTom but once one is paired, the second headset cannot be paired.

I have tried pairing one headset successfully - turning off the paired headset and then trying to pair the second. This results in the TomTom seeing the 2nd headset, but even when selected, the TomTom cannot complete the pairing.

To get the 2nd headset to pair, I must first delete the paired headset, power the TomTom off and back on, and then pair the other headset.

Meanwhile, my phone holds pairing information for 4 cars, both Sena headsets and my music headphones. All of which connect automatically as soon as they are in range.

Can the expensive TomTom 550 really only hold pairing information for one headset at a time?

There are also issues with the SMH5and the TomTom claimed functionality - The TomTom will not pair with a Sena headset and my Samsung phone at the same time. As soon as the TomTom is connected, connection tothe Samsung phone is blocked. Neither is A2DP supported between the TomTom and the SMH5, whereas the Samsung has no problem with A2DP and the SMH5.

I could go on listing more difficulties and limitations. The functionality of such a high-cost GPS does appear to be very limited, or am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

Any help would be most welcome.

Best Answer

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,991 TomTom Moderator
    edited September 3
    Hi @Himslef

Welcome to the community!

The RIDER 500/550 series will not support pairing with two Bluetooth headsets at the same time. The hardware on the device allows to connect two Bluetooth devices but that would be a phone and a headset(hands free calling).

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • HimslefHimslef Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hello,

I'm not trying to connect two headsets at the same time. I have two helmets, each has a headset. I would like to pair both headsets with the TomTom but will only use ONE headset at a time.

In the same way as your phone might be paired with two different cars. It only connects to ONE car at a time.

This is what I'm trying to do with the TomTom. I wish to pair 2 headsets ready for use, but will only ever have one headset connected.

This way, it does not matter which helmet I am using, it will connect to the TomTom
    Any chance of an answer? - I suspect the answer is No the Rider 550 can't do this
    Thanks for confirming Fergussion - I thought that was the case. Strangely the Rider 550 will allow me to try, displays the 2nd headset as a found device, and then just complains "unable to connect".