Voice is incompatible with this device language? — TomTom Community

Voice is incompatible with this device language?

JksnipJksnip Posts: 14 [Legendary Explorer]
I’ve installed the Go app on my iPhone XS Max, but whatever voice I download I get the above message.... what can I do to resolve this?

Answers

• lampardlampard Posts: 4,841 Moderator
    Hi @Jksnip

Welcome to the Community! What is the language you set on your iPhone X?

Cheers, lampard
  • JksnipJksnip Posts: 14 [Legendary Explorer]
    My device language is English (Ireland), same as I had on my iPhone 7plus earlier. I’ll try to see whether English UK as device language will solve it.
    I’ve set the language the same for the device and the app: issue is still there. The alarms for the speed limits are audible, the voice not.
    Any other suggestions?
    Hey @Jksnip

Can you please check if the button pointed below is enabled?
    n7iu9m8uieth.png
    Cheers, lampard
    Hi @lampard,
    yes, that button is enabled strangely enough....
    Hi @Jksnip

Few things to check:
    • If you've set the phone language to English UK, please select 'Serena' computer voice to read street names and spoken instructions.
    • Is the Volume slider in Main Menu well to the right which controls the volume of app?
    • Is the iPhone connected to the car via Bluetooth while you're testing this out?
    • Do you get the other warning sounds like Speed Camera?

We've seen some reports about volume of voice instructions being too low and cannot increase it using the volume control slider in the main menu of app. If this is the case, can you try the volume buttons on the iPhone during a voice instruction to control the volume?

Regards, lampard
    edited September 2019
    Hi @lampard,
    thanks for these suggestions,
    I have tried "Serena", and ensured the volume of the voice is at maximum. Unfortunately I still can't hear the voice.
    Other sounds like the speed camera warnings or others are coming up though. I still get the same error message.
    I saw the iPhone X is supported, but is the iPhone XS Max? As this is the iPhone version I have...

Hope we can find the cause

Regards,

JKSnip
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,599
    Community Manager
    Hi JKSnip,

I'm afraid our compatibility FAQ isn't up-to-date. I'm checking which phones to add.

But I wouldn't assume that's the reason. It should affect volumes of both, voices and warning sounds but can you try pushing the physical volume buttons during a voice instruction?

Regards,
    Jürgen
    Hi Jürgen,
    I’ve tried this, but without success unfortunately; the speed warnings (or other) are audible, the voice is not. Whatever voice I select I get the message stating that voice isn’t compatible
    Community Manager
    This will probably take us a bit to reproduce.

One of our testers confirmed that your phone needs to be added to our compatibility list.
    Hi Jürgen,
    Good to hear the iPhone XS Max is compatible.
    The iOS version is: 12.4.1. If there’s anything more I can do to help it make easier to reproduce the issue, or to find the cause, let me know.

Regards,
    Jksnip
    Community Manager
    I'd like to come back on this. We haven't been able to reproduce this. Just to double-check since you posted in the board for the old GO Mobile app and not the new GO Navigation app. You're using the new app, right?
    Hi Jürgen,
    Thanks for coming back to me. The app I’m using is the latest version, see screenshot of it in the App Store. o54beihn35p1.jpeg

Hope this helps. If there’s anything more I can provide to help find the cause, do let me know.

Regards,
    Chris
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,155
    Superuser
    Hi @Jksnip

Have you tried turning the Phone completely Off and On again after selecting a Voice. Just a thought as I did have one instance of no volume and doing that cured it.

Doug
    The message I get in the app is the following: ngbna14rt8f4.png

The volume of the voice is up: 3419gdqaf74x.png

Hi @DougLap, just tried that... unfortunately without success; I get the same message up, stating ‘the voice is not compatible with...’

Worth trying though!
    Hi @DougLap,
    Is there any update in regards my issue?

Thanks for working hard to find a solution!
    Superuser
    Hi @Jksnip

I am unable to suggest any other ideas and @Jürgen is the most likely to find a solution as like you I am a customer. Certainly on the PND units the problem you are experiencing is a conflict between the language on the device and the voice selected.

Have you updated to the latest IOS system.

Doug
    Hi @DougLap,
    thanks for tip
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @Jksnip

Certainly on the PND units the problem you are experiencing is a conflict between the language on the device and the voice selected.

Have you updated to the latest IOS system.

Doug

I have checked the language settings: they are exactly as they were on my previous device. I had hoped the latest iOS update would solve the issue, but unfortunately it didn't...
    @Jürgen : I hope you have an update for me?

Many thanks guys!

Chris

Superuser
    Hi @Jksnip

My phone model is the SE and I have tried changing the voices, the language, the region and even Centigrade to Fahrenheit and I cannot replicate your problem. As Jurgen said they could not replicate it I can see why they are stumped. Looks like we need someone with a new idea.

Sorry nothing has resolved this for you so far.

Doug
    Community Manager
    Hi Chris,

I have checked again with our 2nd Line and they have no second incident of this error message being shown. Also one of our iOS testers wasn't able to reproduce this so I'm afraid there is nothing we can do.

Sorry!
    Jürgen
    Hi @Jürgen , very weird indeed.
    Thanks for coming back to me. As soon as I find out more myself I’ll let you know 😊

Chris
    Hi guys, I think I finally found the solution... I’ve downloaded the app again, and the maps again; and now it seems to work again... lady hear it wasn’t working, and by doing the above it was resolved so how now.
    Just wanted to let you all know the issue has been resolved now 😊