Map update error- Oops Something went wrong- GO PREMIUM TomTom — TomTom Community

Map update error- Oops Something went wrong- GO PREMIUM TomTom

3rensho3rensho Posts: 38 [Outstanding Explorer]
edited September 2019 in Map installation
I have a GO Premium and it has been updating just fine until I recently received the notification that an 8 plus GB Europe map update is available. I have tried updating but all I get is the stupid "Oops Something went wrong" message over and over ad nauseum. I have turned the device off and on a couple of time but no joy. These attempts were via wi-fi. Then I connected to the tomtom connect app on my windoze machine and get the same problem. How can I get this update installed?????

Best Answer

Answers

• fergussionfergussion Posts: 76 [Supreme Navigator]
    reset the device and try downloading updates using MyDrive Connect.
  • 3rensho3rensho Posts: 38 [Outstanding Explorer]
    What is meant by resetting the device? Turning it off and then restarting? In my post I mentioned that I had already done that and no joy.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,289 Moderator
    Hi @3rensho

Could you try a complete reset(factory)

Main Menu- Settings- System-Reset Device

Then try using MyDrive Connect as an internet source to download updates.

Regards
    Vikram
    OK, I went into the system menu and did a factory reset. Still no joy. When I connect to Mydrive connect on my win machine it just tells me to update the easy way over wifi and I am not offered a usb connection. If I log out and then back in to mydrive connect I see my device with its serial number. Clicking on that just brings up the "update the easy way with wifi" screen and there are no other opportunities available.
    Interestingly there was a Danger Zone update offered in addition to the 10.35 map update a couple of days ago and that updated fine. It's only the map update that refuses to install.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,186
    Superuser
    Hi @3rensho

When you connect the TT unit to the PC and get the flash screen you then use the menu options on the TT unit just as you would if doing it via WiFi. You are only using the PC as a means to connect to the Internet.

Doug
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 542 [Exalted Navigator]
    3rensho wrote: »
    I have a GO Premium and it has been updating just fine until I recently received the notification that an 8 plus GB Europe map update is available. I have tried updating but all I get is the stupid "Oops Something went wrong" message over and over ad nauseum. I have turned the device off and on a couple of time but no joy. These attempts were via wi-fi. Then I connected to the tomtom connect app on my windoze machine and get the same problem. How can I get this update installed?????

There were some problems with the TomTom servers yesterday I believe and I was getting the "Oops" message at first, but when I tried again a little while later, everything worked OK and the map downloaded much faster than usual. Incidentally, there is advice on this forum to download a small map as a backup, just in case your normal download fails, which can render the unit unusable. I downloaded the Colombia map onto my GO6200 for that purpose, although I have no intention of trying to use my device in that country when I'm over there (if you saw the way they drive, you'd know why).
    I have been trying for several days now to update to 10.35. Nothing but the "oops ..." message. Tried it over wifi or connected to PC using mydrive connect (even with wifi disabled) and nothing but Oops. Your server can't be screwed up that often can it????
    Have you tried to install a different map, smaller size?
    No. The maps I see for sale are at least 30 bucks and I'm not going to splash out for a map I don't need just to see if it installs when the new tomtom I have should update properly without jumping thru hoops.
    The go premium comes with world maps so try installing a smaller size map..I never said you need to buy a map.
    OK, I installed the "Middle Africa" map without a problem. Then tried to update 10.35 again and got oops. Can I delete all the maps and then reinstall Europe without anything irreversible happening?
    I looked at the installed maps and the list was Europe 10.25. Europe 10.30 and Middle Africa. I then delete Europe 10.25 and middle Africa leaving only Europe 10.30 installed. Tried to up date that to 10.35 but just got oops.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,814
    Superuser
    edited August 2019
    @3rensho

Unless you have an internal memory of 16Gb you will need to add a 16/32Gb SDHC class 10 memory card, to install that see https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/990256/formatting-a-microsdhc-card/p1
    I've had a 32Gb SDHC card since the beginning.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,814
    Superuser
    @3rensho

What have you got on that card?
    Has it been formatted by your device?
    If so how much space is available on it according to your device, if not follow the link above
    Now there is just the western Europe map on the card. There are just under 18Gb free and the card has/had already been formatted for the device.
    After all of that, tried the 10.35 update again and got the oops as usual. When I installed the western Europe map it gave me a choice of device memory or SD card and I put it on the SD card.
    Hi @3rensho

I would want you to try few things.

Turn OFF the device, remove the memory card and turn ON the device back.

Does the device show no maps found?

Regards
    Vikram
    Did that and it started normally. Checking for updates says that the device is up to date. Checking which maps are installed it says only that Western Europe 10.35 is installed - which is the only map I need. Shall I reformat the memory card? The Western Europe map occupies 6.5 Gb. How can I determine how much total memory this device has?
    Went ahead and reformatted the sdhc card on my windows machine then inserted onto the go premium. Went to system and reformatted the card to the tomtom format and everything seems fine now. It must have been confused because of the bits and bobs present on the sdhc card. Many thanks for your help Vikram. Please let me know how much native internal memory a GO Premium device has.
    Hi @3rensho

Thanks for trying that.

Lets try to troubleshoot this step by step.....

Now in case you still have a memory card please remove it from the device.

GO TO - Main menu- Settings- Maps-Choose another map (tell me if you get this option)

6scss6g7wyzy.png

Is there any other map listed when you click on it? except- Western Europe ?

Thanks
    Vikram
    edited September 2019
    OK, did that and under Choose Another Map the only item listed is the installed Western Europe 1035.9663. So, since there were no other choices one could surmise that there is 8 Gb of memory native to the device?
    OK, took out SDHC card, restarted, installed Venezuela, deleted Western Europe, rebooted, picked add map and it said "Available Space 12.10 GB". Picked Europe and it is downloading now. Pretty slowly. Will post later how it went. Thank you for your suggestion about a smaller map. I'm learning all kinds of stuff about the device.