Search unable to find POI — TomTom Community

Search unable to find POI

PompeyNeilPompeyNeil Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
I don't find the TomTom Go application very good for searching. I find it is frequently unable to find locations that I can find easily in Google Maps.

As an example, if I search for Dignity statue as a POI, it is not able to find it. I have the South Dakota map installed on my iPhone and have tried searching the Whole Map and tried searching in the City of Chamberlain. Neither works.

I find that I often have to search Google Maps, get the address of the POI and then search for the address in TomTom Go.

Any help on improved ways to search is much appreciated.

Is there a way to report missing locations to TomTom so the map can be updated?

Best Answer

• PompeyNeilPompeyNeil Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks once again, that's really helpful. I have reported some missing items as you suggested.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,976 Superusers
    Hi
    @PompeyNeil

The Tomtom MyDrive Web Route planner and the PND Devices
    Both know the POI for the 'Chamberlain SD Rest Area' where the Dignity Statue resides

4jt3jlwhutf2.jpg
    ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

However, I only used the Dignity Statue as an example of where the Search facility is failing to find POIs. My expectation is that if I can find it in Google Maps (and Apple Maps), I should be able to find it via the TomTom Go app. I don't feel I should have to know an alternative name for the POI in order to be able to search for it successfully.

It seems to me that this is an area where TomTom could improve overall.

Thanks for those links. I do have the user guide on my PC and have read the articles on searching. Unfortunately they don’t help solve my problem - I’m not able to search and find POIs in TomTom, even though I can find the easily in Google Maps.

As another example, I can’t find Lakefront Park in Hudson, Wisconsin on TomTom, but can find it easily in Google Maps and Apple Maps. Rather frustrating. It seems as though the TomTom database is not as comprehensive as those 2 mapping systems.
  • StuBFrostStuBFrost Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    I agree with this. I booked a small but long established hotel and was able to find the place by name in both Apple Maps and Google Maps but TomTom doesn't have it.
    edited August 28
    Hi
    @PompeyNeil

Lakefront Park, Hudson, Wisconsin
    Does not appear on the Tomtom Map

kedpj4gd6gzs.jpg
    You could report the missing item using the MapShare reporting tool...
    Login with your account details Here... https://www.tomtom.com/uam/UI/Login?realm=/uam&amp;spEntityID=mapsharereporter&amp;service=onetomtom&amp;authLevel=0&amp;goto=/uam/idpssoinit?metaAlias=/uam/idp&spEntityID=mapsharereporter&redirected=true

Maybe Usefull....
    Transfer the individual Google Map locations To MyDrive Web manually
    With Google maps and the MyDrive Web Route planner both running
    (1)... Type the location into the Google Maps Search Box and Right click on the offered location and select 'What's here?'
    Or
    (2)... Right click on the Map at the required location and select 'What's here?'
    (3)... A small widow opens at the bottom of the screen... Click on the displayed Coordinates... the Coordinates are now displayed in the normal Google Maps Search Box
    (4)... Copy the Coordinates & Paste them into the MyDrive Web Route planner Search Box (Press Enter on your Keyboard) the MDW Route planner will Zoom to the location and mark the location as the Route Starting point... Right click on the Icon to Save the location to MyPlaces... A Destination or Plan a route
    If a Route is already being planned... Add a Stop

ATB YFM