Why wont my world map update/download? — TomTom Community

Why wont my world map update/download?

slingshotslingshot Posts: 6 [New Seeker]
so I got a go 5200 for my holiday to florida I live in the uk when I was at home I downloaded the map for U.S.A when we landed the map was not on the device ??so I have been trying to download it again whilst on holiday but im not having much luck ?? the downloading status % keeps going up and down its been downloading now for 2 days

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,152 Superuser
    edited August 26
    Hi @slingshot

Although your GO5200 has 16gb of internal memory if you have the Full Europe map on it the USA map will not fit on the internal memory as there is not enough space. If you have not added extra memory then you will need a Micro SD class 10 memory card size 16gb or maximum 32gb. It is recommended that you get a Sandisk, Samsung or similar major make.

If you have inserted a memory card did you go into Settings/System to Format the card for use on the unit.

It you Click on the Blue Circle with a ? in it then Tap About does the Extra memory get listed.

Are you trying to download th map using Wifi only ie you are not connected to a PC.

Doug
  • slingshotslingshot Posts: 6 [New Seeker]
    hi yeah I have got extra memory card more then enough for the map 8gb I am using the wifi and the % goes up and down ?? once the tomtom looses wifi I connect it again then it continues but im not getting to 100%
    Hi @slingshot

I suspect the SD card could be the problem. Could you try the following

Check that the card is fully inserted in the unit.

If you click on the About in the Blue Circle with a ? in it does it show the card and the available space on it.

If you can remove the Card and insert in a PC and do a full Format , not a quick format, for Fat 32. and retry.

Could you try and download the UK and Ireland map to the unit which will go on the internal memory and will check the unit is downloading ok.

If you go into Settings and Tap Wifi if you then Tap the connected Wifi name it will give you some Wifi data on the left said of the screen. What is the connection speed. If the speed is below 30mbps then you may need to link it to a PC for Internet access then use the menu options on the GO5200 to Add a map.

You could try a Factory Reset on the unit ie Tap Settings, tap system, tap Reset device then you will have to set it up again.with the Wifi and My Drive account details. This will not affect the Software version or the Maps on the device. Any My places , Poi and route files on the unit will be lost but if they are shown as in your account on the My Drive webpage then they should sync back onto your unit after the Reset.

If still not sorted I would try another major make card and would get a 16gb or 32gb although the size should not make a difference unless you are trying to load the USA, Canada and Mexico maps that will not go on an 8gb card.

Doug
    I have looked at the blue circle and check if the memory and the card is shown more memory then what is required I have also down loaded another map Africa and its downloading I have also reformatting my sd card and started to download it again ( fingers crossed )
    an its done it again got to 13% and reset to 0% is this normal does it download in segments ??
    Hi @slingshot

No that is not normal and it does not load in segments.

Can you confirm whether or not you are connecting directly to the WiFi or have you connected via USB to a PC. If it is the latter then there is a possibility you have a USB power saving setting which turns your USB socket off after a period. If this is the case have a look in your PC’s settings to turn the USB saving off.

If it is directly connected to the WiFi what is the download speed showing on the Unit under WiFi.

Doug
    the power for the usb was set to turn off to save power but the laptop was plugged into the mains so not sure if that was the problem so I have now changed the power settings I have also just got a new sd card for the download finger crossed ??
    if this doens work im just going to go but a $70 satnav use it and then when I get home ill contact amazon and tomtom think somewhere along the line I should be able to get a refund as the go5200 is not working properly
  • MrTDMrTD Posts: 49 [Master Explorer]
    I have just had a problem like yours and I had to do a reset on my device.
    Once I set my device back up it then automatically started to download and complete.
    When you try to do a map update your old map is deleted, this is the first thing the device does to make room for the new map, if it fails part way through then you are left with no map on the device.

Try a reset.