On/Off button not working — TomTom Community

On/Off button not working

GO 5200 wi-fi - message - battery empty - charged for several hours, followed video instructions, but no drum roll - so cannot re-set this device - what next - Tom Tom support does not answer this question.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,924
    Superuser
    Hi @beiderbeck

Can you turn the unit On/Off with the button?

If you can turn the unit on then when it is ready to use Hold the ON/OF Fbiutton down until you hear the Drumroll Sound. This should take about 20 seconds plus and you hold the button down until you hear the Drumroll sound

Doug
  • beiderbeckbeiderbeck Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    This is a useless answer, just a copy of all that is on FAQ's. The on/off button DOES NOT RESPOND - REPEAT - DOES NOT RESPOND - NO DRUM ROLL after many attempts for more than 30 seconds - after many attempts to charge for more than 2 hours - so answer the question please - what next- this should be covered by the warranty, but the web site will not allow me to enquire about a warranty repair, what should I do if the on off button will not respond ,so I cannot re-set ??? Thank you for your next answer a.s.a.p.. please.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,924
    Superuser
    edited August 2019
    Hi @beiderbeck

As a customer like you trying to find out exactly what the situation was with a view to then suggesting a possible resolution

My Question was "Can you turn the unit ON/OFF with the Button".

As you have not answered that then specific suggestions are more difficult to offer I just clarified what should work if you can turn it ON/OFF.

The various possibilities are dependent upon the answer to the question.

If the button works in that you can turn the unit on a factory Reset, different from a Soft Reset, to see if that resolves it

If the button Works as above then do a Recovery of your device to see if that resolves it

With the above 2 options can you turn the unit on if you connect it to a power source if so then the first option is available but the second may not be if the button is not working at all..

If the aforementioned do not resolve it or the button does not work at all Contact Customer Support tomorrow to see if they have any other suggestions Orto arrange for a Unit repair if the Button does not turn the unit ON/OFF . If you do this do not answer the questions but wait for an Agent to come on line.

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Doug
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,632
    Superuser
    Hi all

@beiderbeck

You are on a users forum, users like you ...
    For the customer support, it's at the bottom or the top of this page, Support, "Contact us". But @DougLap has already given you the information.
    http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/contact

You can try this:
    Charge your device with a main charger (2A smartphone/tablet/iphone charger) for at least 2/3 hours.
    USB ports, PC or in the car, only deliver 0.5A.

Then only after, when your device is fully charged and still connected to the main charger, perform a Soft Reset:
    Press and hold the On/Off button until you hear the drum sounds. This can take 30 seconds or more. The device restarts. If you see a black screen with white text, hold down the button until you hear the drum sounds. You will not lose anything.

If this doesn't wake up your device contact TomTom customer support directly for more help or for activate the product warranty.

Regards.
  • beiderbeckbeiderbeck Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Thanks - making progress now- trying your method- will update on outcome Cheers