Voice alerts for safety camera — TomTom Community

Voice alerts for safety camera

Dennis151Dennis151 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited August 2019 in Speed Cameras
I'm an American in Germany. I'm trying to set up the safety camera for voice alerts. keeps telling me the voice is incompatible and I can't set voice alert option. I've tried all the voice options it gives me, even tried to change language and it tells me a computer voice is not available. Very frustrating that it is not intuitive and having to jump back and forth trying to find setting that work.

Answers

• Dennis151Dennis151 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited August 2019
    Is there a list of voice compatibility I'm missing somewhere???
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,423
    Superuser
    edited August 2019
    Hi @Dennis151

You need a computerised voice. I assume you want an American English voice so If you look here on Monday then either @VikramK or @lampard will add it to your account so you can download it.

Doug
    Can I download computerized voices from the website so I can have options? There may other English speaking voices I may like better. Is this not an option available without a direct request?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,770
    Superusers
    edited August 2019
    Hi
    @Dennis151
    Dennis151 wrote: »
    Can I download computerized voices from the website so I can have options? There may other English speaking voices I may like better. Is this not an option available without a direct request?
    'No'....
    Tomtom TTS Computer voices are allocated by @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators or Tomtom support... Both options available on Monday

ATB YFM
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,770
    Superusers
    On Monday....
    For general improvement using the Tomtom Speed Cam Database over the default settings

Always use a Computer voice...
    Serena or Malcolm in the UK
    Also....
    From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) -> Setting -> Sounds & Warnings...
    Set... 'Warning Type' to... Read Allowed... (Important... Needs a Computer Voice set in the Voices menu)
    Speed Cameras & Hazards... Set to ON
    The next 10 Setting ALL set to Always
    The next 4 Settings ALL set to ON
    The device will now say....
    'Fixed Camera'
    'Mobile Hot Spot'
    'Average Speed Camera Zone'
    'Red-light Camera'
    'Accident Black-spots
    ‘Spoken Traffic delays’

Speed Cams
    If you keep a check on the Traffic-bar... The device gives you a visual Warning of the next Fixed or Mobile Speed Camera many miles before you reach the camera
    Even more info if in the 'Setting menus' you setup a Wide Traffic/Route Bar
    93197384-69ec-4f9d-b7ae-f68a6f82ffae.jpg
    ATB YFM
    My question was: Can I download computerized voices from the website so I can have options? There may other English speaking voices I may like better. Is this not an option available without a direct request?
    Answer:
    'No'....
    Tomtom TTS Computer voices are allocated by @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators or Tomtom support... Both options available on Monday

I posted this on Saturday and I have to wait until Monday to get anything that works for voice alert for safety cameras and at someone else's discretion as to what I get and when?!?!?
    Really? this is TomTom's solution for support???
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,423
    Superuser
    edited August 2019
    Hi @Dennis151

A fair question. I assume that Tomtom made the decision that the relevant computerised voice for the area in which the unit is purchased is loaded on the unit prior to sale and that any others are done on request. This maybe a decision that was made when the Internal memories were not as large as they are now because the computerised voices are much bigger files than the recorded voices. To have loaded all the possible computerised voices would have taken up a lot of unnecessary space.

Doug
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,913 Moderator
    Hi @Dennis151

Welcome to the Community! I've added the voices 'Samantha' and 'Tom' (only two options for US computer voice) to your device, please download them when connected to WiFi.

Regards, lampard