Can anyone help with corrupted maps on Start 50? — TomTom Community

Can anyone help with corrupted maps on Start 50?

Hello, I have been trying to fix my satnav for the last 3 days, on the first day after trying to update it overnight the maps got corrupted and now all I can get is "No maps available" so I can't get into any settings on the Satnav I then formatted the Mirco SD Card as the Mydrive App still said I had maps installed.

Every single time I plug my satnav in the only thing my satnav says is "Updating". I foolishly deleted the satnav off my mydrive account to try and reboot it as a new one but that hasn't helped at all, I can't add the satnav back onto mydrive as it sticks on "Your device is being added" on the computer, but the satnav says "Updating".

I have tried the satnav in recovery mode several times but it just goes back to "updating" which I believe is blocking it from adding the device on to the MyDrive app.

It’s a tomtom start 50

Can anyone help?

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,420
    Superusers
    Hi
    @alan123

The NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now 9.13GB... Also the fact that the MapZones have now also exceed the 8GB of the NAV4 on-board Memory... This is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card... For the new larger Maps maps you need to install a Branded Class 10 Micro SDHC memory card
    The latest Full Europe Map is 9.13GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless, a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Class 10 Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)

hqnp12sxjah5.jpg
    Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error....
    Tomtom are allocating a small map to install on the on-board Memory of the NAV4 devices, to give access to the Micro SDHC Card Format Option
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper'... This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running
    Maybe @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocate a smaller Map to the account of your NAV4 GO 500

If you wish to just stick with using the internal memory Instead of using a Micro USB Card
    Tomtom have released the Europe map in different Map Cuts (Map zones)... Will any of these new Maps suit your travel requirements ???
    More information Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1660206/#Comment_1660206
    ATB YFM
    Superusers
    Hi
    @alan123
    alan123 wrote: »
    (Snip)Every single time I plug my satnav in the only thing my satnav says is "Updating". I foolishly deleted the satnav off my mydrive account to try and reboot it as a new one but that hasn't helped at all, I can't add the satnav back onto mydrive as it sticks on "Your device is being added" on the computer, but the satnav says "Updating".
    I have tried the satnav in recovery mode several times but it just goes back to "updating" which I believe is blocking it from adding the device on to the MyDrive app
    MyDrive Connect NEEDS to be running on the computer and capable of being connected to the Tomtom servers before Recovery Mode will complete...

ATB YFM

• alan123alan123 Posts: 11 [Apprentice Traveler]
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @alan123
    alan123 wrote: »
    (Snip)Every single time I plug my satnav in the only thing my satnav says is "Updating". I foolishly deleted the satnav off my mydrive account to try and reboot it as a new one but that hasn't helped at all, I can't add the satnav back onto mydrive as it sticks on "Your device is being added" on the computer, but the satnav says "Updating".
    I have tried the satnav in recovery mode several times but it just goes back to "updating" which I believe is blocking it from adding the device on to the MyDrive app
    MyDrive Connect NEEDS to be running on the computer and capable of being connected to the Tomtom servers before Recovery Mode will complete...

ATB YFM

Thank you for your replies. When I’ve done recovery mode it’s gone to 100% on MyDrive so I’m believing that is going through as it should. My Micro SD card is 16GB, if I could get my device onto the my drive app I believe I could get it working but it won’t connect. My two options of what I think would fix it is a way to get a map onto the sd card so the device works or to find a way to get it to connect onto mydrive
    Superusers
    edited September 2019
    Hi
    @alan123

MyDrive Connect & Win10 64bit is working fine here....
    On the rare occasions that I have problems with MyDrive connect

Option... (1)
    Did you Clear the MyDrive Connect Cache ???
    The MDC Cache is deleted Manually, the cache does not Auto delete... The Huge Map File sizes for each download soon mounts up

With MyDrive Connect running...
    Click on the Cog Wheel Icon Screen top right
    Click on the Downloads Tab
    Empty download folder
    Save settings

Also if you don't clear the MyDrive Cache ??? You will only re-install any corrupt Map in the Cache again, instead if a Freshly Downloaded & Installed Map

Or

Option... (2)
    I delete the "HOME3" and the "MyDrive Connect" folders in MyDrive Connect Program...

Using the latest MyDrive Connect on the NAV4 Devices like your Tomtom device you can Stop the Download to MyDrive Connect you can't Stop or Clear an Update Queue

But you can Delete the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders in the MyDrive Connect Program and force a reload of the Cache Data

If you have installed MyDrive Connect to the default location using Windows 10
    It's located here... C:\Users\"Your Computers Name goes here"\AppData\Local\TomTom > (HOME3 & MyDrive Connect Folders)
    Delete both the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders; they are most likely to be corrupted
    If you delete the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders it removes the Cache Folder & Contents, Prefs.ini, cookies.ini. Logs and Configuration.xml

A new Home3 Folder and MyDrive Connect folders and their contents are created fresh the next time you use MyDrive Connect

Method…..
    (1)... Disconnecting the Tomtom device from the PC and Reset it by holding down the off button for 20 secs until you hear the ‘drumbeat’ release the button
    (2)... Opening ‘Run’ on the PC (click on the windows symbol bottom left – type ‘run’ in the search box – open ‘run’.
    (3)... Type into the ‘run’ box %localappdata%/TomTom
    (4)… Press Enter
    (5)... A new window opens
    (6)... Delete both the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders; they are most likely to be corrupted
    (7)…Close all windows
    (8)... Turn on the SatNav and reconnect it to the PC
    (9)... Open/Run ‘My Drive Connect... You will have to login as if MyDrive Connect was a fresh install... And hopefully all should be well

Option... (3) Delete & Reinstall MyDrive Connect
    If you're using a Windows PC... Delete MyDrive Connect using the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    If you're using a Mac... Surely there must be a Deep Clean Un-installer Program available for a Mac ???
    Download & install the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    Here...https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
    Revo first uninstalls the Program... Then scans and removes all of the left over files a normal uninstall leaves behind
    Video using the Revo Uninstaller
    The Free & Pro Versions use the same process....

(1)... Uninstall MyDrive Connect Using the Revo Uninstaller
    (2)... Clear your browsers cache (Optional, but I find it really does help)
    (3)... Restart your PC (Not Turn Off & Turn On again)
    Download and install myDrive Connect
    Here... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mydrive-connect/
    DO NOT have your Tomtom device connected to your PC while installing MyDrive Connect
    Connect & Turn on your device... Login to MyDrive Connect
    Note... If there is more than one Update, I find it's best to do the updates one at a time

ATB YFM
    pn5uij684n77.jpeg
    z5raniqpyrnu.jpeg

Just been through all your suggestions, it did something different saying something went wrong but ultimately still ended up saying updating while I was trying to add it back to my drive. It’s very frustrating as it’s great when the satnav works but now I can’t even use it.

Thank you so much for your very in-depth reply
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @alan123

MyDrive Connect & Win10 64bit is working fine here....
    On the rare occasions that I have problems with MyDrive connect

Option... (1)
    Did you Clear the MyDrive Connect Cache ???
    The MDC Cache is deleted Manually, the cache does not Auto delete... The Huge Map File sizes for each download soon mounts up

With MyDrive Connect running...
    Click on the Cog Wheel Icon Screen top right
    Click on the Downloads Tab
    Empty download folder
    Save settings

Also if you don't clear the MyDrive Cache ??? You will only re-install any corrupt Map in the Cache again, instead if a Freshly Downloaded & Installed Map

Or

Option... (2)
    I delete the "HOME3" and the "MyDrive Connect" folders in MyDrive Connect Program...

Using the latest MyDrive Connect on the NAV4 Devices like your Tomtom device you can Stop the Download to MyDrive Connect you can't Stop or Clear an Update Queue

But you can Delete the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders in the MyDrive Connect Program and force a reload of the Cache Data

If you have installed MyDrive Connect to the default location using Windows 10
    It's located here... C:\Users\"Your Computers Name goes here"\AppData\Local\TomTom > (HOME3 & MyDrive Connect Folders)
    Delete both the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders; they are most likely to be corrupted
    If you delete the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders it removes the Cache Folder & Contents, Prefs.ini, cookies.ini. Logs and Configuration.xml

A new Home3 Folder and MyDrive Connect folders and their contents are created fresh the next time you use MyDrive Connect

Method…..
    (1)... Disconnecting the Tomtom device from the PC and Reset it by holding down the off button for 20 secs until you hear the ‘drumbeat’ release the button
    (2)... Opening ‘Run’ on the PC (click on the windows symbol bottom left – type ‘run’ in the search box – open ‘run’.
    (3)... Type into the ‘run’ box %localappdata%/TomTom
    (4)… Press Enter
    (5)... A new window opens
    (6)... Delete both the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders; they are most likely to be corrupted
    (7)…Close all windows
    (8)... Turn on the SatNav and reconnect it to the PC
    (9)... Open/Run ‘My Drive Connect... You will have to login as if MyDrive Connect was a fresh install... And hopefully all should be well

Option... (3) Delete & Reinstall MyDrive Connect
    If you're using a Windows PC... Delete MyDrive Connect using the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    If you're using a Mac... Surely there must be a Deep Clean Un-installer Program available for a Mac ???
    Download & install the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    Here...https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
    Revo first uninstalls the Program... Then scans and removes all of the left over files a normal uninstall leaves behind

(1)... Uninstall MyDrive Connect Using the Revo Uninstaller
    (2)... Clear your browsers cache (Optional, but I find it really does help)
    (3)... Restart your PC (Not Turn Off & Turn On again)
    Download and install myDrive Connect
    Here... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mydrive-connect/
    DO NOT have your Tomtom device connected to your PC while installing MyDrive Connect
    Connect & Turn on your device... Login to MyDrive Connect
    Note... If there is more than one Update, I find it's best to do the updates one at a time

ATB YFM

We’ve phoned tomtom this morning, they’ve gone through everything we’ve already done and said the only thing we can do is pay 60-80 for a repair.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,204 Moderator
    Hi @alan123

Could you send me the serial number of your device through a private message, please?

Regards
    Vikram
    edited August 2019
    Hi @alan123

Ignore the above post, I got the serial number from the ticket you started with the customer service.

It looks to be a case where you have too many pending downloads in the queue and they either have to fail or complete.

You should keep your device connected to the computer with MyDrive Connect running.

In the meanwhile, I have activated the UK and ROI map for your device. It will be offered for download when you log in and connect your device to MyDrive Connect.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you look and follow the advice on this FAQ

Thank you,
    Vikram
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hi @alan123

Ignore the above post, I got the serial number from the ticket you started with the customer service.

It looks to be a case where you have too many pending downloads in the queue and they either have to fail or complete.

You should keep your device connected to the computer with MyDrive Connect running.

In the meanwhile, I have activated the UK and ROI map for your device. It will be offered for download when you log in and connect your device to MyDrive Connect.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you look and follow the advice on this FAQ

Thank you,
    Vikram

Thank you Vikram, the satnav has finally connected to my drive and is going through updates, I will leave it on and hope that all the updates go through and I’ll have a working satnav again.

Hi Vikram, thanks for the information, we've been running this now since about 8pm last night, it still says it's updating now 16 hours later, how long should I leave this for?
    Hi alan

Sorry I missed responding on this before.

The device still shows the pending download queue in the logs(backend)

This mostly indicates that the problem could be specific to the computer- Network/ Firewall/ Antivirus.

In MyDrive Connect- Settings-

v05sd5ud44kr.png

Download updates on my computer - Do you have this checked or unchecked?

If it's checked please uncheck it, empty the download folder and try again.

In case the above does not help then the advise would be to try on a different computer with a different internet, network, firewall, AV etc.

Thanks
    Vikram :)
    Thank you for your reply, I have done what you’ve suggested and it’s still just saying updating. The issue is there are no maps on the satnav it’s trying to update maps and speed cameras but how can it update something that isn’t there? Is there anyway I can add the map on the satnav and stop it going to updating? As soon as I plug the device in it goes straight to updating so I can’t get into the contents and manually install the maps. I will phone tomtom again on tuesday if you can’t add any further assistance but you have helped me more than they’ve done the on the past two phone calls.

I have tried on a different windows laptop and a Mac, it changed nothing, my firewall is set to allow TomTom my drive always so I don’t see that being an issue.