****ALERT****ATTENTION**** TomTom staff**** there's a SPAM TomTom website scamming people!!

Kazza1Kazza1 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
I almost got caught, I went online to update my TomTom and the first link was
https://tomtomupdate.online/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwv8nqBRDGARIsAHfR9wDJlXBDsx2dnHc0QG3bZ4kC7WhayVxvlhk_Xa0AOx2W0qtnyFv7hakaAp0IEALw_wcB

Then I clicked the update map and got this link https://tomtomupdate.online/update.php after entering in my details which I thought was odd since I already had my autosave on the browser and suddenly I wasn't able to log on to TomTom.. That alone should had been my red flag.

They asked me to enter my details which I did then said someone would call me back and this counter clock was ticking down from 10 mins.

A man called me who sounded Indian in accent and proceeded to ask questions that were rather personal, like my marriage status, age etc.. I then noticed that as I perused the website further there were links that didn't work and things that just didn't feel right with my gut.

He said that I have ordered the latest 2019 map and that it would be $250 I said that's almost what I paid for the device! He said that it would reset the whole device and update it so it's got everything compatible with the latest version... hmm I was almost about to get my credit card when I said 'I'm a little concerned' He said 'what for madam?' I said 'Your website looks a little dodgy to me' with that he hung up.. I feel I was lucky to avoid handing over my credit card information but he has my email and my mobile which still troubles me.

I know there are a lot of scam sites out there but I tried to find a phone number to alert TomTom about this but couldn't find anything anywhere. I wish you would have a contact number where people can call, that Robot pop up thing is useless.

Thank you
Karen
Karen

Best Answer

• M JM J Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    edited August 14 Accepted Answer
    Just had a quick look - my browser tells me the server is in Bulgaria. Dodgy.....Well spotted Kazza1!

Answers

• M JM J Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    edited August 14 Accepted Answer
    Just had a quick look - my browser tells me the server is in Bulgaria. Dodgy.....Well spotted Kazza1!
  • Kazza1Kazza1 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    M J wrote: »

I can't believe how close I was to giving out my credit card details phew!
    However I just hope that admin of TomTom might place an alert pop up or something on their main website to advise of the scam before some poor buggar gets caught.
    God only knows how many gave their details over to the people, who knows if they have a download that is a virus that gets into your computer! o.O
    Karen
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,799 Superusers
    Hi
    @Kazza1

Unfortunately a couple of Fake Tomtom Scam Sites have appeared recently
    looks like you have had the misfortune to find another one.....

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

I have forwarded this to our team.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,813 Superuser
    Hi @Kazza1

A close encounter. As @YamFazMan has indicated this is not the first. Thank you for bringing it to the forums attention.

One of the Forum Mods has forwarded the matter to the appropriate team in Tomtom.

Doug
  • BaddyfingerBaddyfinger Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Yes, Guys be aware.

I purchased a new Tomtom Go Premium X recently, I was very disappointed with the voice recognition which was really rubbish.
    I tried to find someone to talk to (not that stupid chat box that knows nothing) or the time-consuming email support (again rubbish)
    Well, after what seemed to be ages I thought that's it, the reviews of Tomtom support on Trust Pilot are correct at nearly zero.
    But then a helpline number popped up and I rang it. To all intents and purposes, it was the Tomtom customer service. Great there is a God after all!!!
    I explained what model I had and the problem I was having......he appeared to know exactly what model it was and the features. "how much did you pay for it" he asked
    I told him the retail price direct from Tomtom "ah that's why the device is not working as you expected" he said. "To get all the premium features you would have to have paid £550 at least" what? I said I have the top model, "no, unfortunately, you have the basic model let me explain" he said, "we released the top of the range model costing £550 pounds but the public found it too expensive for the UK market, so in order to be competitive we downgraded the software" But I'm sure I ordered the top model, "so do lots of others he said, there is no reflection on you" OK send me a return label and you can have it back I said, It,s a con. "OK he said, we can upgrade the software for you from here no problem" oh thank you I said, "yes we can do it for £150" you have got to be joking I told him, no it's going back "look he said, I can see you have just paid out a lot of money already on the unit so I have been authorised to give you a discount of £50 so it would be £100 only for the absolutely top of the range device" I thought that as I had £110 already knocked off for being a loyal customer, if this is the case.........OK then if it's going to solve the issue. By now I'm sick of the whole thing. "Right no payments required now our engineers will call you in 30mins" OK I said and hung up.
    About 15/20 mins later a call from Tomtom engineers to update the device "I will require access to your screen" the guy said, I'm not going to let you I said, "I just need to have access to the tomtom drive app if you have it installed" he said, yes I have it, as I felt my distrust fading away. Brilliant I will go in and only be a few moments to prepare the upgrade, I could see the mouse moving over the screen and I panicked, "I 'm just going away from the phone to prepare the download he said" meanwhile I disconnected the link between us, he came back and I noted a downloading notice pop up, he then said "all done and tomorrow when you take out the car you will see a great improvement, right you can pay now on your card" he said " I completed the payment and he then said "now, would you like lifetime Live Maps he said, you only have three months with this upgrade" he said no, forget it, I'm going to get a refund for the upgrade and send the unit back for a full refund, "It's only £140 for lifetime" no I said and hung up. By this time the stress levels had reached MAX. I rang back on the number I had originally and again thought I was ringing Tomtom told the guy and he said don't worry I have put it on for lifetime!!!!!!
    I HAD BEEN CONNED AND I KNEW IT, IDIOT, FOOL, DOWNRIGHT IMBASEILE YES .....all of those. Bank locked down, all credit cards canceled. Now down to Mastercard to investigate.
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 610 [Exalted Navigator]
    As others have said:- thanks for highlighting this Dogy Site!

Just as a matter of interest, I carried out a "WHOIS" on the Domain Name (tomtomupdate.online):-
    • It was only registered less than 2 months ago
    • The Domain Registrant is located in Panama

Regards,

John-Jay

• Kazza1Kazza1 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Yes, Guys be aware.

OMG that's terrible :(
    Not intended on causing more distress, but, I would probably look at formating the computer, you don't know what those bastards are likely to have done.
    Karen
  • LucaLuca Posts: 2 TomTom Employee
    Kazza1 wrote: »
    I almost got caught, I went online to update my TomTom and the first link was
    https://tomtomupdate.online/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwv8nqBRDGARIsAHfR9wDJlXBDsx2dnHc0QG3bZ4kC7WhayVxvlhk_Xa0AOx2W0qtnyFv7hakaAp0IEALw_wcB

Then I clicked the update map and got this link https://tomtomupdate.online/update.php after entering in my details which I thought was odd since I already had my autosave on the browser and suddenly I wasn't able to log on to TomTom.. That alone should had been my red flag.

They asked me to enter my details which I did then said someone would call me back and this counter clock was ticking down from 10 mins.

A man called me who sounded Indian in accent and proceeded to ask questions that were rather personal, like my marriage status, age etc.. I then noticed that as I perused the website further there were links that didn't work and things that just didn't feel right with my gut.

He said that I have ordered the latest 2019 map and that it would be $250 I said that's almost what I paid for the device! He said that it would reset the whole device and update it so it's got everything compatible with the latest version... hmm I was almost about to get my credit card when I said 'I'm a little concerned' He said 'what for madam?' I said 'Your website looks a little dodgy to me' with that he hung up.. I feel I was lucky to avoid handing over my credit card information but he has my email and my mobile which still troubles me.

I know there are a lot of scam sites out there but I tried to find a phone number to alert TomTom about this but couldn't find anything anywhere. I wish you would have a contact number where people can call, that Robot pop up thing is useless.

Thank you
    Karen

Hi @Kazza1,

Many thanks for sharing your experience so that hopefully other people will not fall for this.

I also wanted to inform you that thanks to your post we could take measures against tomtomupdate.online and that the platform is offline as of yesterday.

Thanks again,
    Luca
    Luca

I work for TomTom but the views expressed here are my own
  • LucaLuca Posts: 2 TomTom Employee
    edited 11:47AM
    Yes, Guys be aware.

I purchased a new Tomtom Go Premium X recently, I was very disappointed with the voice recognition which was really rubbish.
    I tried to find someone to talk to (not that stupid chat box that knows nothing) or the time-consuming email support (again rubbish)
    Well, after what seemed to be ages I thought that's it, the reviews of Tomtom support on Trust Pilot are correct at nearly zero.
    But then a helpline number popped up and I rang it. To all intents and purposes, it was the Tomtom customer service. Great there is a God after all!!!
    I explained what model I had and the problem I was having......he appeared to know exactly what model it was and the features. "how much did you pay for it" he asked
    I told him the retail price direct from Tomtom "ah that's why the device is not working as you expected" he said. "To get all the premium features you would have to have paid £550 at least" what? I said I have the top model, "no, unfortunately, you have the basic model let me explain" he said, "we released the top of the range model costing £550 pounds but the public found it too expensive for the UK market, so in order to be competitive we downgraded the software" But I'm sure I ordered the top model, "so do lots of others he said, there is no reflection on you" OK send me a return label and you can have it back I said, It,s a con. "OK he said, we can upgrade the software for you from here no problem" oh thank you I said, "yes we can do it for £150" you have got to be joking I told him, no it's going back "look he said, I can see you have just paid out a lot of money already on the unit so I have been authorised to give you a discount of £50 so it would be £100 only for the absolutely top of the range device" I thought that as I had £110 already knocked off for being a loyal customer, if this is the case.........OK then if it's going to solve the issue. By now I'm sick of the whole thing. "Right no payments required now our engineers will call you in 30mins" OK I said and hung up.
    About 15/20 mins later a call from Tomtom engineers to update the device "I will require access to your screen" the guy said, I'm not going to let you I said, "I just need to have access to the tomtom drive app if you have it installed" he said, yes I have it, as I felt my distrust fading away. Brilliant I will go in and only be a few moments to prepare the upgrade, I could see the mouse moving over the screen and I panicked, "I 'm just going away from the phone to prepare the download he said" meanwhile I disconnected the link between us, he came back and I noted a downloading notice pop up, he then said "all done and tomorrow when you take out the car you will see a great improvement, right you can pay now on your card" he said " I completed the payment and he then said "now, would you like lifetime Live Maps he said, you only have three months with this upgrade" he said no, forget it, I'm going to get a refund for the upgrade and send the unit back for a full refund, "It's only £140 for lifetime" no I said and hung up. By this time the stress levels had reached MAX. I rang back on the number I had originally and again thought I was ringing Tomtom told the guy and he said don't worry I have put it on for lifetime!!!!!!
    I HAD BEEN CONNED AND I KNEW IT, IDIOT, FOOL, DOWNRIGHT IMBASEILE YES .....all of those. Bank locked down, all credit cards canceled. Now down to Mastercard to investigate.

Hi @Baddyfinger,

It is unfortunate to hear what you have been through.

On top of reporting this to TomTom and to your credit card provider for a refund, we also highly suggest you to reach out to the relevant authorities; as you seem to be located in the UK, please follow this link: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

In order for us to investigate the matter and hopefully take action, could you share the name of the site and when exactly this happened?

Thanks a lot,
    Luca

I work for TomTom but the views expressed here are my own