TomTom services on GO Premium X

Searching the internet and speaking to customer services it seems the Go Premium x just needs the internal SIM card to receive traffic updates and other services but the on line manual says it requires a connected smart phone or in car connection. Please can anyone enlighten me as to how this system works?

Best Answers

• johncrosleyjohncrosley Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks for your prompt answer will check tomorrow and thanks for the number. The on line manual page 17 is quite definite although these manuals do cover more than one model. Regards John

Answers

• dhndhn Posts: 33,188 Superusers
    Indeed, the specs for the device do refer to an imbedded sim card, no need for a smartphone.

Clarify with support:

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks for your prompt answer will check tomorrow and thanks for the number. The on line manual page 17 is quite definite although these manuals do cover more than one model. Regards John
    Page 17 of the on-line manual says they have to be
    “always connected” devices or connected by smart phone. Apparently “always connected” just means having an internal SIM card ‘though I don’t understand how they know where you are in order to send relevant data. When you are smart phone connected data is sent back to TomTom and it costs you money. I assumed the internal sim is receive only, if I am wrong perhaps some can explain further.One last question does anyone know the purpose of the small blue self adhesive film that comes in the same package as the screen protector?
    Thanks in anticipation. John.
    Many thanks Doug that explains everything. That free Sim for life(of the sat nav) may not last a lifetime as new generation networks take over but it should see me out. John
    Further checking I found this sim is 2g which will be turned off in UK in 2025 so it will be 6 years, not exactly a lifetime. John.
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 612 Superuser
    Interesting... do you have a link for that information @johncrosley ?

The only network shutdowns I've seen mentioned is for the 3G network in 2-3 years' time. Which is ironic, as many people here have been complaining about TomTom not upgrading to a 3G SIM :)
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,799 Superusers
    Hi
    @johncrosley

Surely you didn't think the Tomtom 'Lifetime' meant 'YOUR' natural life ???

What does “lifetime” mean?
    Lifetime is the useful life of the device, which means the period of time that TomTom continues to support your device with software updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available any more. The useful life of the smartphone app means the period of time that TomTom continues to support the app with updates

See... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/content/id/9/locale/en_gb

ATB YFM

Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    Been to so many sites my head is spinning but can’t find the exact one. Anyway moving on from there, apparently smart meters use 2g because it only requires low power and smart meters are low speed and need long battery life so it looks as though 2g will be with us for quite a while yet. If someone can confirm that tomtom services definitely use 2g I think I will be happy and yes I do know that lifetime means the life of the device. John.
    Thanks again Doug, you are educating me. There are just over 13million smart meters installed in UK with a million installed in the first quarter of this year. At this rate it will be cheaper to keep 2g rather than replace these meters especially if the batteries are going to run out faster from using 4 or 5g. Any views on the subject ? John
    Should have done more thorough research before talking about smart meters. First generation meters use 3G. Second generation use a dedicated secure network called DCC. 1st gen will move across to DCC in time.