Thrill Routes — TomTom Community

Thrill Routes

ChrisW5MLChrisW5ML Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
I've just completed a 3000 mile tour round France, almost entirely using Thrill routes. They're amazing, and provided day after day of fascinating stress free motoring, on delightful back roads. However, I did have a few problems.

I created the routes in my My Drive app on my Android tablet, and then synced them as tracks to my GO51. Both the My Drive App, and the GO51 are set to avoid unpaved roads, but a number of the tracks used them - I had some fun excursions on dirt tracks through fields, a forest, and on one occasion an orchard - and those were the ones I used. I ignored several that were totally overgrown, didn't exist, or just looked too iffy. It's not clear to me whether that happened because of a problem with the algorithm, or the map, but the routes would have been better if they had stuck to paved roads. Is this what you would expect ?

The other thing that puzzled me was that the route as planned in the App would have a given journey time, but syncing it to the GO 51 almost always increased the journey time - sometimes by only a few minutes, but sometimes by quite a lot, which was quite annoying.

I'm afraid I've long since deleted the tracks, so I can't send them to you.

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,062 Superusers
    edited August 13
    Hi
    @ChrisW5ML

I recall a discussion a while ago where the 'Plan a thrill' option was returning 'No route possible'

Avoid Unpaved roads on every route Ignored....
    I recall this as being a compromise to a 'No Route Possible' error
    When the Thrill route option was introduced, in certain circumstances where a user had set 'Avoid on every route + 'Unpaved roads', the device reported 'No Route possible'... When in fact there was a route possible but using 'Unpaved roads'

If you have 'Avoid on every route + Unpaved roads' (or one or more of the other 3 options) set and you want to pre-check a route....
    After the device has calculated the route Tap the 4Dot (....) --> Tap Current Route... If the Route is OK the 'Avoid Toll and More' Icon will be greyed out
    If the the 'Avoid Toll and More' Icon is highlighted Tap on the 'Avoid Toll and More' Icon
    The option/s causing the problem/s will be highlighted

ATB YFM