New Start 42 will not update. — TomTom Community

New Start 42 will not update.

Bought a new Start 42 as my faithful old One is "no longer supported" after nearly ten years. Installed map is v 1011.9039, so at least 12 months old. My Drive Connect recognises that the device is connected, but shows only one update available - Map Share. It will not even update that. Software IS up to date. Uninstalled and reinstalled device and software many times. Still no joy. Device seems to be working in the car but with an obsolete map.

Best Answer

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,928 Moderator
    Hi @Oldfolkie

Welcome to the community!

Could you do a soft reset and check for updates now?

Regards
    Vikram
  • OldfolkieOldfolkie Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Hi Vikram. Thanks for the reply. Whether by coincidence or not, I now have another update available for the whole of Europe map. Apparently I need to have an 8gb memory card which I will have to purchase first. I will get back to you later.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,922
    Superuser
    Hi @Oldfolkie

I think you will need a Micro SD Class 10 memory card size 16gb or maximum 32gb for the Full European map as it is 9gb and so will not fit on an 8gb card. You can click on the Map in My Drive Connect My Contenti and select a smaller European map if you want.

Doug
  • OldfolkieOldfolkie Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Thanks all. I found an 8Gb sdhc that I didn’t need. Re-formatted it and (touch wood) it all seems to be OK. I might swap it for a larger capacity card for the extra flexibility. My old One was a great piece of kit but time moves on. Thanks for all the advice. Just a pity that the need for a memory card was NOT mentioned anywhere in the paperwork supplied with the device.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,470
    Superusers
    edited August 2019
    Hi
    @Oldfolkie

You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)

You must have installed one of the new Smaller Maps mentioned in Note (1) below
    The latest Full Europe Map is 9.13GB and wont fit onto a 8GB Memory card, you can't fit a quart into a pint pot

Note (1)... If you wish to just stick with using the internal memory Instead of using a Micro USB Card
    Tomtom have released the Europe map in different Map Cuts (Map zones)... Will any of these new Maps suit your travel requirements ???
    More information Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1660206/#Comment_1660206

ATB YFM