sensible route finding

topol
topol Registered Users Posts: 20
Master Explorer
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
is there a sat-nav which WILL give you the most sensible route, i.e. 'A' roads a priority, then 'B' roads, or do we have to spend hours poring over a road atlas before we set off, i wanted a device which would save me having to keep checking i was on the easiest route, not being directed down a country road which the device CLAIMS is quicker but in fact takes longer because you have to drive up a verge to get past traffic coming in the opposite direction, then crawl along behind a tractor for five miles.
Tagged:

Comments

• BrianE
    BrianE Worcester, United KingdomRegistered Users Posts: 562
    Exalted Navigator
    edited August 2019
    I have mentioned this issue many times and so have others, but there has never been a satisfactory reply from TomTom. Here is some latest correspondence I have had with TomTom:-

ME: I have tried setting the eco-friendly route as you suggested, but it didn't make any difference. Also, I would just like to point out that checking alternative routes is not a viable option - it would be tedious while in a familiar area, but in an unfamilar area, it would be virtually impossible as you wouldn't necessarily know what a road was like until it was too late to do anything about it. Imagine a scene where you are in your car late at night; it's dark outside and you have a long journey home; would you really expect to have to start examining every part of the route planned by your satellite navigation device to check whether it has made some dumb decisions? The whole purpose of the sat nav is to guide the driver along the most appropriate route, taking into consideration the suitability of the roads. Sending drivers down single track roads with no passing places, full of potholes and covered in mud from farm traffic is not what a navigation device in this high-tech age should be doing. I could perhaps have had more sympathy with the manufacturer if it were 20 years ago, but honestly, there really is no excuse now for this problem to still exist by continuing to send drivers and their passengers into potentially difficult and even unsafe situations. Just give us the option to avoid unclassified roads in rural areas and/or allow us to manually set what we think are appropriate speeds for roads (e.g., 25mph for single track roads, 60mph for A&B Roads and 70mph for motorways) so that the sat nav can choose routes based on our preferences. The current preferences just don't work and need a total overhaul.

TOMTOM:Greetings from TomTom!!!
    Brian, our technical team is still working on the issue and I really appreciate your support with us.
    Please help us with the starting point and ending point of the journey. If possible location co-ordinates also.
    How frequent you find this error ?
    Looking forward to hear from you.

ME: You should be able to see the starting and end points from the pictures I sent you. You can find the road on Google maps by search for "Pouk Lane, Worcester" and it will take you straight to it.

I have another example for you. How would you like to use TomTom's preferred route down "Cockshutt Lane" (see attached picture), just to avoid travelling a couple of extra miles by staying on the main road. How about a foggy night in winter? I think you can see my point - TomTom should not even be considering these types of roads unless users specifically select to use them.

Google images of Pouk Lane (appropriately named I feel) and Cockshutt Lane to follow, plus the stupid diversion down Pouk Lane taken from my sat nav's screen instead of staying on the main roads.

• topol
    Master Explorer
    Thanks for the info, it seems to be a long-standing issue, I have a route finder on my old laptop, running windows XP, which works on the principal you describe, - set your preferred speeds for certain types of road. Unfortunately the laptop doesn't have Gps so is no use for finding your location, and there's no voice guidance, unless you have a passenger who doesn't mind navigating for you, that seems to work, but unfortunately the map is about 20 years out of date and I've not been able to find any updates. I think the boffins at tomtom should be able to do something similar, it used work on my pc running windows 98 (remember that?). Quite comical that they asked you which road was a problem, and how often it occurred? Every time I would imagine, and as you infer when you're in an unfamiliar area it will certainly do that to you all the time so how do you know which is the better route? My best advice would be to disable auto-zoom completely and zoom out so that you can see the roads around you, you can usually tell which is the wider road. Alternatively I suppose we'll just have to struggle on and take the time to study the good old road atlas
  • BrianE
    Exalted Navigator
    It's just a pity that apart from Garmin, there really is no serious competition to give TomTom a commercial incentive to improve their products. Garmin has even worse route planning than TomTom, if that's possible and their devices usually don't even tell you the road numbers at complex traffic islands, so if the lanes on the junction are marked on the road with the road numbers, then you're left guessing which is the correct lane to be in. How stupid is that?

But back to TomTom; it almost appears that they have lost what little interest they had in improving their products because up till a few years ago, we used to at least get regular software updates, but those are few and far between now and when we get one, it's usually just to add a few minor features that nobody asked for.
  • BrianE
    Exalted Navigator
    edited August 2019
    Latest reply from TomTom Support and my response:-

TOMTOM:Greetings from TomTom!!!

I hope you are having a good time Brian.

Thank you so much for helping me with the required details.

After checking, I confirm that the alternative routes we provide to are already tested and verified routes by our team and other customers also. After validating everything we provide each route according to the customers safety.

Even though the routes are unknown to you we have already check the details and so we are providing options to you. I assure you that the safety will not be an issue in any route we share with you

ME: ...the problem with the route planning down single-track country lanes that I have highlighted to you has yet to receive a satisfactory explanation as to why it is occurring. I don't understand what you are trying to say with "I confirm that the alternative routes we provide to are already tested and verified routes by our team and other customers also. After validating everything we provide each route according to the customers safety." Does that mean that "the team" are happy for us to be directed down roads such as "Pouk Lane" and "Cockshutt Lane" (see attached photographs to remind you what they look like) instead of keeping us on A & B class roads? If so, then I have to totally disagree with them as there is nothing safe or convenient about being sent down such roads, even in good daytime conditions, let alone at night, especially during bad weather. I would love to watch one of "the team" reversing back along the likes of Cockshutt Lane for instance, on a winter's night in freezing fog. Perhaps they should post a video on the TomTom web site showing them doing it as a selling point for how advanced (LOL) their devices are for planning sensible routes. Or am I missing something here?
  • topol
    Master Explorer
    UNBELIEVABLE, I think you're (we're) fighting a losing battle mate, flogging a dead horse etc, there's no way they've driven that route unless it's on google street view which of course is perfectly safe. On a cold dark night in the pouring rain I wouldn't want to be driving down Pouk Lane either. As I said in my original post my device directed me down a country road instead of the more convenient 'A' road which I'm used to, and even a stranger to the area would take less time on the 'A' road. When I take mine on holiday with me I shall only be using it to find my location at any point in time, and I shall have with me an up-to-date road atlas to find the best route first.
  • topol
    Master Explorer
    How did you manage to get a reply from tomtom support, I can't even find out how to contact anyone, just keep going round in circles.
  • BrianE
    Exalted Navigator
    topol wrote: »
    How did you manage to get a reply from tomtom support, I can't even find out how to contact anyone, just keep going round in circles.

Ah yes, that's another issue which I have experienced. I think they are afraid of hearing the truth. If you want to give it a try, you can use the following link:-

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/contact_incident/p/2986/es/0/c/4554
  • topol
    Master Explorer
    Hi BrianE, thanks for that, I'll send them an email later.
  • BrianE
    Exalted Navigator
    Latest reply from TomTom and my response. Am I making any progress or just going round in circles?

TOMTOM:-
    Thank you for helping me with the images of roads you are referring to.

Brian, our devices will provide you the route according to the destination and type of route you have selected. If the road exists the device will obviously consider it. As a second option we provide you the alternative routes. You can also check the alternative routes.

However if you think there is a room for us to improve then, I have taken the feedback and have forwarded to the relevant team and they will work on it.

We always keep improving our products as per the needs of our customers as you are the ones who can help us in this in a better way by expressing what you feel and what exactly you need more.

We value our customers and ask you to please feel free to continue to provide feedback about our services.

If you have any further questions or would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me anytime.

Please feel free to reply me on the same e-mail if any issue persists, I will be more than happy to assist you.

ME:-
    Thanks for the reply.

I would just like to comment on one part of your message, i.e., "Brian, our devices will provide you the route according to the destination and type of route you have selected. If the road exists the device will obviously consider it. As a second option we provide you the alternative routes. You can also check the alternative routes." It's not practicable to be able to examine in detail every route that our devices produce for the reasons I stated in previous correspondence, but to summarise; when we are in our vehicles, in an unfamiliar area and trying to obtain sensible directions to our next destination, are we really expected to have to spend time scrolling around the small screen on our satellite navigators to see if we can determine whether a particular road on the route may possibly be a narrow dirt track and then having to figure out a way to avoid any such road when we come to actually drive along the suggested route?

There is no point in providing alternative routes either as we would have to go through the whole process again. This effectively makes the sat nav totally unsuitable as a route planning device and the only alternative is to pre-plan the route on a computer, while checking any unclassified roads on Google maps, to see if they are unsuitable and then amending the route to avoid such roads. On a long journey that would take a considerable amount of time, as well as assuming we had access to a computer in the first place and is not what we should be having to do in this high-tech age. It begs the question, why is it that we can navigate space rockets to their destinations with incredible precision and yet our sat navs can't perform the much simpler task of providing sensible routes to navigate us around our own planet? If the sat navs can't do their job properly, then there's not much point in spending our hard-earned money having them and we might as well revert to using old-fashioned paper maps. As I said before and for which I am still awaiting an answer from "the team", why can't we have an option to avoid unclassified roads where possible (or an option to use A & B class roads where possible, which might be an even better option), just as we have an option to avoid motorways?That should take care of the whole problem at a stroke I would have thought. I would really like an answer to that question please.
  • John-Jay
    John-Jay Registered Users Posts: 746
    Revered Pioneer
    BrianE wrote: »

We always keep improving our products as per the needs of our customers as you are the ones who can help us in this in a better way by expressing what you feel and what exactly you need more.

We value our customers and ask you to please feel free to continue to provide feedback

This had myself falling of my chair with Laughter!!

Ask anyone, who has tried to get TomTom to update a Speed Limit, whether they feel if TomTom is "valuing" their assistance!!

I sent TomTom some updates in November 2017 (on changes to the area covered by existing Speed Limits) & I'm STILL waiting to see if they will review them!!

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,804
    Superuser
    edited August 2019
    HI
    Below is a quote of one my Posts from September 2016

Today (15/08/2019) My GO 6200 sent me exactly the same route along the narrow lane The Holloway....

But the irony is... The latest MyDrive Web Route planner suggests the Woodrow lane is the best route....
    8u1jah5l3m7m.jpg

Quote below from September 2016....
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    I find some of the routeing really annoying, especially if you are directed to a diagonal single track lane joining two A roads instead of staying on the A roads, the hassle of the single track lane isn't worth the (theoretical) time saved
    For example.....
    A450 Worcester road junction to Chaddesley Corbett
    The GO 5000 alway uses the single track (60 MPH :? ) lane The Holloway
    But According to the MYDrive Route Planner, the journey time is the same 4 : 20 only the distance is different

f7852eda-01ac-4445-9538-445c488a90a1.png
    f5295e53-1ba9-4fc5-a1b7-53f5ca8f54b3.png

But Google maps say there's a 1-minute difference ???

2c7ea0a9-7908-451e-b7be-d75dd143842c.pngMy preferd route is to stay on the double track Woodrow lane

a3a59f15-8e9f-4fc4-85db-a0db1e6ddfdf.pngAnd not use the single track (60 MPH :? ) lane The Holloway

200c8892-3ae8-42a1-90ba-5478cb3c1c96.png
    57d4fe8c-72a7-4e99-bc85-523d7d434c10.png
    3e19e7ce-0d6d-467a-abac-71b4c1b003ff.png

ATB YFM
  • BrianE
    Exalted Navigator
    So YamFazMan, what do you think of TomTom's comments that, "After checking, I confirm that the alternative routes we provide to are already tested and verified routes by our team and other customers also. After validating everything we provide each route according to the customers safety.

Even though the routes are unknown to you we have already check the details and so we are providing options to you. I assure you that the safety will not be an issue in any route we share with you."? [my emphasis added]
  • BrianE
    Exalted Navigator
    The most I have been able to get from TomTom can be inferred from their final reply:-

"Thank you for replying back and providing the feed back.

We have already taken your feedback and will pass it on to the concerned team. They will look into it for further improvements.

Please feel free to simply reply to this e-mail and we will be more than happy to help if you have any issues."
  • BrianE
    Exalted Navigator
    edited August 2019
    I've just sent my final reply to TomTom:-

Thanks to you and Swati for your attempts to deal with my enquiries, but in fact, all this has done is to confirm the major frustration that customers have with TomTom, i.e., that we rarely ever receive answers to the problems and suggestions we raise. All we get are messages telling us that our issues have been passed to the team for future consideration and that TomTom cares about its customers. If TomTom really cared about its customers then we would, at least some of the time, receive detailed explanations from named persons of the technical team. Instead, they hide behind their customer service advisors and just ignore us. To add insult to injury, they release a new range of overpriced products, instead of concentrating on fixing the issues that we have reported, sometimes over several years (such as the stupid practice of sending us down inappropriate single track country lanes and no proper support for custom POI's). This is not the way a company that really cares about its customers would be expected to behave. It's precisely why some customers have stopped reporting things and/or are vowing to never purchase any more TomTom products.
  • topol
    Master Explorer
    Well done BrianE, I've tried a Garmin in a similar price range, and that behaves in a similar way to my Start 52, I don't intend to spend a small fortune on a "portable navigation device" so my best solution is this, invest a few pounds in a good road atlas and plan any long journeys with that, it's easy enough to get long distances on motorways, 'A' roads and probably 'B' roads, then switch on the sat-nav as soon as you hit town, (having pre-loaded the calculation on the device). Cheers bud
  • BrianE
    Exalted Navigator
    edited August 2019
    There has been one additional exchange between myself and TomTom. I won't bother to send any more correspondence to them as it's a waste of time. Here is their reply and my response:-

Thank you for your reply and we are once again sorry for the inconvenience Sir.

As mentioned earlier we have already passed on the feedback to the concerned team. As these are technical things they might take some time to be actually implemented or to be worked on.

Please feel free to simply reply to this e-mail and we will be more than happy to help if you have any issues.

"these are technical things they might take some time to be actually implemented or to be worked on." - I wouldn't actually call 4 or 5 years "some time" (how patient are we expected to be?) and we are capable of understanding some technical issues. The point is, we never receive any explanations about anything that is going on. Compare the silence from TomTom with the detailed explanation of improvement works for a well-known brand of router firmware, viz:- (note, the ?? are not in the original text but have been added by my browser during the copying and pasting process).

384.13 (31-July-2019)?? - NEW: AiMesh Router and node support. Note that automatic live?? update of Merlin-based nodes is not supported, you will have?? to manually update any Merlin-based nodes when a new firmware?? is available. Asus-based nodes (which is recommended) will be?? able to make use of the automatic live update.?? - NEW: ChaCha20-Poly1305 support in Strongswan (themiron)?? - UPDATED: RT-AX88U to GPL 384_6210.?? - UPDATED: Curl 7.65.3.?? - CHANGED: dhcp_staticlist no longer contains hostnames, these?? have been moved to dhcp_hostnames for better?? compatibility with upstream and closed source?? components, also allows more static leases to be?? defined before reaching the size limit.?? - CHANGED: Replace Nettle with OpenSSL for dnsmasq's DNSSEC?? validation, which opens the door to supporting?? more ciphers. (themiron)?? - FIXED: Firmware Update check button would redirect to Asus?? support site if scheduled checks are disabled.?? - FIXED: Firefox was showing a no-op Uninstall button on the?? AiCloud page?? - FIXED: 5 GHz radio showing as disabled on the Sysinfo page for?? the RT-AC87U?? - FIXED: FTP would be accessible from the WAN even while disabled?? if you had DualWAN load balancing enabled, or IPTV?? configured.?? - FIXED: IGMP Snooper daemon crashing when more than 32 hosts?? are present (themiron)?? - FIXED: External DDNS IP checker would fail for Chinese users,?? as checkip.dyndns.org is blocked - switched to .com TLD.?? - FIXED: Devices without a networkmap-defined alias wouldn't fallback?? to their hostname on some webui pages like the IPTraffic?? and QoS Classification pages.?? - FIXED: Remote IP field filtering on Classification page wasn't?? working.?? - FIXED: Incorrect user permissions displayed on the FTP page.?? - FIXED: Performance issues for some users, following the kernel?? security fixes in 384.12. (gzenux)

I rest my case.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,804
    Superuser
    edited August 2019
    Hi
    @BrianE
    Hi
    I suppose this is really local knowledge... But should the device route you to a T-junction when a traffic Island is available
    On my route to a Kidderminster retail park, the GO 5000 ALWAYS gives this route.....

623103fd-477f-41ec-ae0d-4e77cc032c0a.pngBut because turning right at the end of Broomfield Road is usually a nightmare
    You can wait there for ages to turn right

f00ed772-8816-498b-960b-3c02c485615f.pngThis route is the better option
    ATB YFM
    Above is another previous Post.... (September 2016)
    When I made the Post the the NAV4 devices ALWAYS directed you via Bloomfield Road to the T Junction and the right-hand turn across the flow of traffic
    After the following Map update the the devices now direct you via Mason Road and the Roundabout....

I realise it was only a small change... But It doesn't always fall on deaf ears.....

I recently used MapShare to report a missing footpath linking 2 roads this has also been accepted and corrected....

ATB YFM
  • No1OilBaron_
    No1OilBaron_ Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Seeker
    Looking to upgrade my snooper s7000 truck nav and like the look of your pro.

Problem is I need to be able to route for my 26ton truck upto 30-40 multiple addresses on any given route from a designated start point without entering a final destination!
    Need the device to order automatically in the most efficient route and tell me the final destination which would work out the furthest of the most efficient route (Route Optimisation)

Is this a feature I can’t find on the app or is this not currently possible on the pro?
    If not, are you developing this feature in the near future or do I invest in a more modern Snooper Truck Nav instead until you have?
    Seems you have all bases covered for the professional driver other than this vital feature saving money, time and the environment.
    Eager to hear your response asap as will others be.
  • BrianE
    Exalted Navigator
    edited August 2019
    Hi
    @BrianE
    Hi
    I suppose this is really local knowledge... But should the device route you to a T-junction when a traffic Island is available
    On my route to a Kidderminster retail park, the GO 5000 ALWAYS gives this route.....

623103fd-477f-41ec-ae0d-4e77cc032c0a.pngBut because turning right at the end of Broomfield Road is usually a nightmare
    You can wait there for ages to turn right

f00ed772-8816-498b-960b-3c02c485615f.pngThis route is the better option
    ATB YFM
    Above is another previous Post.... (September 2016)
    When I made the Post the the NAV4 devices ALWAYS directed you via Bloomfield Road to the T Junction and the right-hand turn across the flow of traffic
    After the following Map update the the devices now direct you via Mason Road and the Roundabout....

I realise it was only a small change... But It doesn't always fall on deaf ears.....

I recently used MapShare to report a missing footpath linking 2 roads this has also been accepted and corrected....

ATB YFM

Hi YamFazMan

Thanks for your contribution.

I didn't mean to imply that TomTom doesn't ever listen to our feedback, but the point I was trying to stress is that we rarely, if ever, get any feedback from them and with software updates being almost non-existent of late, the problem has become much worse. The result is that customers have no idea if anyone is actually working on non-mapshare problems we have reported and if so, when a fix can be expected, or whether there are any new features planned.

Regarding the example route you quoted, I have a similar situation when travelling to Redditch from Kidderminster. My GO6200 suggests that I turn left into Windsor Street in the centre of Bromsgrove, but there is a difficult right turn at the end of Windsor Street, so I always ignore the instruction and carry on along New Road to the traffic lights on the Bromsgrove by-pass, turn left there and then right at the roundabout for Redditch. Much more sensible and safer in my view.mmlv55vnodrk.png
  • topol
    Master Explorer
    edited August 2019
    To go back to my original post, which was the beginning of this thread I believe......Is there a sat-nav which WILL give you the most sensible route, i.e. 'A' roads a priority, then 'B' roads.........etc etc
  • BrianE
    Exalted Navigator
    topol wrote: »
    To go back to my original post, which was the beginning of this thread I believe......Is there a sat-nav which WILL give you the most sensible route, i.e. 'A' roads a priority, then 'B' roads.........etc etc

I've been looking for such a device for quite a while, but I haven't come across anything yet. If you do find such a device then please let us all know so that we can ditch our TomToms, Garmins, etc en masse (better they end up in the ditch than us while trying to follow their stupid routes).
  • Lepre
    Lepre Registered Users Posts: 131
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    Hi everyone,
    the same thing happened to me last week.
    When I came back from vacation I came back from the mountain, and to go home made me take a country route with very narrow and dangerous roads (at night), on the traffic bar all the roads were free, I don't understand why he made me do a path like this !!
    Navigator settings on the fastest route.
  • BrianE
    Exalted Navigator
    I've tried a different approaching by sending the following equiry to TomTom:-

"Can you confirm whether or not the sat navs you make for trucks, caravans, campers, etc, are able to avoid narrow country lanes and if so, how it is achieved?"

The response I received and my reply back to TomTom is as follows:-

TOMTOM
    "The Sat Navs for truck, camper and caravans will guide you through the routes as per the dimensions you have added for the vehicle.

Please feel free to simply reply to this e-mail and we will be more than happy to help if you have any issues."

ME
    "Thank you for your reply.

In order for the sat nav to "guide you through the routes as per the dimensions you have added for the vehicle", the sat nav must "know" something about the kind of roads it is considering, so that it can avoid creating routes along roads that would be unsuitable for larger vehicles. Logic dictates that just knowing the dimensions of the vehicle on its own would not be of any use as there would be nothing with which to compare the dimensions. My question therefore is if the truck/camper/caravans models have this information about the roads and can do this, why can't we have a similar option to avoid such roads (single track country lanes for instance) with our car navigation devices?

I would really like an answer to my specific question, rather than just a message saying that this has been passed to the development team for consideration, because to date, I don't remember them ever responding directly to any questions or suggestions we have put to them."
  • BrianE
    Exalted Navigator
    edited August 2019
    The response from TomTom to my message above is shown below, together with my reply. Note, that they still haven't answered my question, but at least they have confirmed something important about the way that truck/camper/caravan devices work.

"Thank you for replying back.

The Truck, Camper and Caravan devices will avoid the routes not designed according to their dimension but the car devices doesn't have a feature to add their dimensions as the car roads are same for nearly all of them."

"Thanks for confirming how the truck/camper/caravan devices work. So all we need then for the car devices is an option to be able specify our preferred minimum width of roads for the device to consider when planning the route and then we won't have to worry about being sent down very narrow country lanes ever again. That ought to be really simple for the programming team to do. Can you ask them if they will do it please and when, as this problem has been complained about for many years? We've been very patient, perhaps too patient, but there is a limit to customer loyalty."
  • BrianE
    Exalted Navigator
    I can't seem to get any specific answers from TomTom on this issue. The latest reply from TomTom and my response is below.

"Thank you for replying back and providing you feed back.

As mentioned earlier currently we don't have the feature the feature to enter width of roads the device should consider to plan a route, but we can take it as a feed back and pass it on further for consideration."

"Thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. If as you say, "Truck, Camper and Caravan devices will avoid the routes not designed according to their dimension", what are those devices comparing the user-specified dimensions against in order to be able to make appropriate decisions when planning a route for the driver?

I look forward to your clarification on this point."

What I am trying to find out from TomTom is how their Truck/Camper/Caravan models avoid narrow country lanes (if indeed they do) so that we could make suggestions for TomTom to consider ways that the car versions could be adapted to utilise some of the technology. However, this almost seems like the old saying of trying to draw blood out of a stone.