START 1EX00 killed by application update — TomTom Community

START 1EX00 killed by application update

My daughter has a TomTom START 1EX00 which she hasn't used for a while so I offered to check if there were any updates for it. I connected it to Home 2 on my PC and sure enough it said there was an updated main application as well as MapShare and QuickFix . I chose to apply them all so it took a backup as usual, then applied the updates but after rebooting it just sat on a screen for ever with an egg timer and the words "Please wait". If I reboot it while connected to my PC, it will still connect to TomTom Home 2 and operate from there as well as see all the folders and files via Windows Explorer. Restore/Backup is greyed out saying "not supported on your device". I tried manually copying all the files and folders from the backup on my PC back onto the device but when rebooting standalone, it then stops displaying a flashing red/white cross. Connecting to Home 2 then allows me to restore the backup but I still get the same flashing cross. Now, selecting "Update my device" gives the the option to update the application again but also displays a message about the map file starting with "Internal/Malformed". As per the TomTom Help referenced for this kind of error, I've tried copying Maps off to my PC using the "Manage my START" option in Home 2, re-formatted the internal memory, deleted Maps and Voices from PC and then updated the device selecting Maps Voices again but that doesn't help either.
I'm wondering if the update has done something to the firmware or the application update simply isn't compatible with the device but it does still connect to Home 2 and run from there.

I can't find any other way of completely wiping the whole thing and getting it back to original like a Factory Reset.

Before I chuck it in the bin does anyone have any suggestions to un-brick it ?

Comments

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,624 Moderator
    Hi @fatbellybinky

I don't find a device linked to your account which is being used on the forum.

Perhaps it's linked to your daughter's account?

Could you forward me the serial number of the device through a private message, please?

Regards
    Vikram
  • fatbellybinkyfatbellybinky Posts: 26 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Hi Vikram - message with details sent.
    Don't know if it helps but after formatting the internal memory, connecting to Tom Tom Home 2 and running "Update My Device", selecting the Application and voices, then run "Manage My Device" choosing "Install items from Computer" where I select the map saved from the device, it installs the map but will not "Operate My Device" as it says this is not supported. If I then try "Update My Device" I get the error message shown in the attached picture.6wqdjoncgjx8.jpg

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,624 Moderator
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for sending the PM.

The operate my device functionality will not work as that feature has been discontinued in TomTom HOME.

A map has been activated for your device. Before that, a clean reinstallation of TomTom HOME application is required.

So please follow the steps correctly as advised on this FAQ:https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17036

Once you are done connect the device and check for map updates.

Regards
    Vikram
    edited August 2019
    Hi Vikram. I followed your linked instructions, removing the old Tom Tom Home, re-installed the new version, logged in with the account associated with my TomTom START and sure enough, there were the maps, QuickFix and Postcode updates shown so I let it update them all. Unfortunately, as soon as the TomTom boots on its own, it stops with the flashing white cross on a red background as before. I considered trying the process of re-formatting the internal memory and update from scratch but didn't proceed because after using TomTom Home to copy items (including the maps) to my computer I checked to make sure they were there but when I selected "Install from computer" nothing was listed. Is that because the internal memory already has those items so it doesn't give me the option to install until memory is empty? It seems that way because I deleted one voice from the device, then chose to install from computer and it was there to install. I did have a look in AppData\Roaming\TomTom\Home but there's only a "Profiles" folder, no Backup or "From Device". Where would items copied to my computer now be stored? I don't want to re-format if I don't have the maps backed up anywhere. Also, I see that the Backup/Restore option is greyed out too.