Upgraded to a rider 550, still allot to wish for — TomTom Community

Upgraded to a rider 550, still allot to wish for

SJEgSJEg Posts: 140 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
edited August 2019 in RIDER
Hi,

I repalced my 400 with a 550. Main reason: speed of the device. Ever since I bought the rider 400 there are quite a few navigation features that I think are missing. Is there any chance of these things being added anytime soon? I will only consider using GPX tracks, ITN's just have to much issue's.

1. Start a route (or continue) a route from a manually chosen point.
2. Skip a certian section of the route (in case of road locks)
3. Display to original track (the one just before you push "drive" on screen together with the recalcualted track.
4. Auto record all drive tracks.
5. Add point of intrest to a track (like a lunch break, planned fuel stop) and show these on the route bar.
6. Full GPX track sync integration with MyRouteApp

To elaborate on 1 and 2. In case of a road block, most of the time I can handle this just be looking at the map anddrive around the road block. Ignore the rider for a while and wait until it picksup the route again. However, if I encounter a road block, I will have to stop to plan my route around it. This is a perfect time to give the rider some instructions. What I would like to do is: Add one or two waypoint to the route so I can plan a route from my current location, back to the route while avoiding the road block. Or even better, let me select the section of the route that is block, and have it calcualte a route around that section automatically. Or even better: if the rider know there is a road block make it plan a route around it automatically (just think on how to inform/present this to user).

I think the rider is easily the best motor cycle GPS device.? However, it is not even close to good enough.

Answers

• JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 316 [Exalted Navigator]
    may requests have been made, most if not all went unanswered.
    the rider 5, 2013 was much better as a bike gps, but many of us have found how to live with the 400/500 gen

aside from the wifi update, anything else stand out with the upgrade/ side grade to the 550 ?? my 400 gets the moisture behind the screen, but not sure i want to pull the trigger on the 50/500 ,

thanks
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,062
    Superusers
    edited August 2019
    Hi
    @SJEg
    SJEg wrote: »
    (1)... Start a route (or continue) a route from a manually chosen point.
    Tapping the Direction of travel pointer (Above the + & - signs)

Note... The images are from a Car SatNav....
    0lk1r8wc2qzv.png
    Toggles the map view between the Driving & Planning views
    If you are using the North-up overview planning Map
    The direction of travel pointer... is flatter more squat

e3rpb60l5sv0.jpg
    When the route has calculated and displayed
    Tap the Direction of travel pointer (Switch to the planning Map)
    Pinch zoom on the route to the correct point where you want to start Route...'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Choose 'Use as a Starting Point'
    The device will calculate your route from your new location

Note... (1) A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' of the screen gives different menu options

ATB YFM
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 477 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Not everything is how you like but for almost everything is alternative available.
    YamFazMan already showed you how to plan a route by tapping on the screen.

The rest of the questions;

- Start a route (or continue) a route from a manually chosen point.
    When driving Tracks you can start at any point on the track.
    The Rider calculates a Route to your track

- Skip a certian section of the route (in case of road locks)
    Same with Tracks you can the Rider calculates a Route to your track. In the beginning this will be the point where you left the tack.
    A tip. Reload your track to get the original (mapped to the road) version back and don't hit Ride. Hit he arrow and zoom.(And see my tip at he end)

- Display to original track (the one just before you push "drive" on screen together with the recalcualted track.
    You can use my POI Track overlay to show the original trackpoints while driving

- Auto record all drive tracks.
    The record option is available but it is a pain to get the recorder routes from your device. there is no MyDrive upload possible yet. (i do not like to use the USB cable ;) )
    I use MyRoute-App on my phone to record track and upload them to the cloud.

- Add point of intrest to a track (like a lunch break, planned fuel stop) and show these on the route bar.
    You can aan a Place for this. It is also possible ta add stops with MyDrive or upload a OV2 with MyRoute-App

- Full GPX track sync integration with MyRouteApp
    MyRoute-App is not a TomTom company. All integration is whith TomTom MyDrive

I mainly drive in front of the group or drive solo. Stopping is not always an option for me. This is why I drive mainly Tracks. This gives me the freedom to skip part or add extra loops whiteout stopping or touching my screen.

To know the original track I use Track Point POI's

And i use my phone with the TomTom Go Mobile App to display the same Track but I do not hit Drive so I get the unchanged (mapped to the road) Track. For this screen I use less zoom to give me an good impression of alternative roads.

See this foto for a small impression of my cockpit. (sorry for the bad image quality) rjbpf752qa19.jpg

• SJEgSJEg Posts: 140 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @SJEg

Note... The images are from a Car SatNav....
    0lk1r8wc2qzv.png
    Toggles the map view between the Driving & Planning views
    If you are using the North-up overview planning Map
    The direction of travel pointer... is flatter more squat

e3rpb60l5sv0.jpg
    When the route has calculated and displayed
    Tap the Direction of travel pointer (Switch to the planning Map)
    Pinch zoom on the route to the correct point where you want to start Route...'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Choose 'Use as a Starting Point'
    The device will calculate your route from your new location

Note... (1) A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' of the screen gives different menu options

ATB YFM

Pretty sure this does not work. All I get is the same as it was always. It throws away the actual track and all I see on screen is the route to the new point.

The only thing I know how to do this is navigate to the point I want to start and just start the route from there. The problem is that I need to stop again, get my gloves of push the buttons again etc etc. If you have three people behind you that is just a pain.
    RoadRider wrote: »
    Not everything is how you like but for almost everything is alternative available.
    YamFazMan already showed you how to plan a route by tapping on the screen.
    [/quote]
    Most alternatives are just to much work. The result is that I must stop to do stuff with the rider.

The rest of the questions;
    When driving Tracks you can start at any point on the track.
    The Rider calculates a Route to your track
    Correct, but: I do not like to push the buttons on the rider, so I want to do it once! I want to get the bike out of the shed. Turn on the rider & load the track. Figure out where I want to start. Select point, calculate route from current location to that point and than from that point to the closest point on the route.
    Same with Tracks you can the Rider calculates a Route to your track. In the beginning this will be the point where you left the tack.
    It can? The rider wil calculate the track to: either the beginning or the point close by. This is not the same as starting the route from a manually specified point and avoiding a specific section of road.

You can use my POI Track overlay to show the original trackpoints while driving

Ofcourse I can, great initiative. To much work for me.
    The record option is available but it is a pain to get the recorder routes from your device. there is no MyDrive upload possible yet. (i do not like to use the USB cable ;) )
    I use MyRoute-App on my phone to record track and upload them to the cloud.

So I would like to rider to recored GPX data and store it on the SD card (or something else) always.
    You can aan a Place for this. It is also possible ta add stops with MyDrive or upload a OV2 with MyRoute-App[/b]

You can but it is not usefull. A lunch stop or something else is usually part of that specific route. I'm only intressted to see it on screen when i'm driving that particular route. You should be able to add flag with names to a GPX track, just like ITN route. Problem is, ITN route show all waypoints. I'm not sure about you, but waypoint are of absolutely zero interest to me.
    MyRoute-App is not a TomTom company. All integration is whith TomTom MyDrive
    I know it is not a tomtom software app. But integrating this would simply improve my experiance with the rider allot.

I think they should focus allot more on the needs of a motorcycle rider and making your life easier with repesct to navigation.

JoelS. wrote: »
    may requests have been made, most if not all went unanswered.
    the rider 5, 2013 was much better as a bike gps, but many of us have found how to live with the 400/500 gen

aside from the wifi update, anything else stand out with the upgrade/ side grade to the 550 ?? my 400 gets the moisture behind the screen, but not sure i want to pull the trigger on the 50/500 ,

thanks

As far as I can tell, for these features that matter to me. No much difference between the 400 and 550. It is faster. That is about it. The reason I bougth it: support tomtom in the battle against the darkages of Garmin bullshit. Speed of the device.
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @SJEg

I have tried what you say. Works just like I remembered it. It calculates a route from your current location to the requested point . From that point back to the end of the track. Pretty pointless is you ask me.

See: https://youtu.be/KoZFrj4206c