New cable for usb type c connector — TomTom Community

New cable for usb type c connector

I have a new Dell laptop which only has usb type C connectors. I have a TomTom Go 60 and the supplied cable has a standard usb connector. I have tried to connect my Go 60 to the laptop via a usb to usb-c adaptor but, although the tomtom says it is connected to the computer, MyDrive Connect says the device isn't connected. All the TomTom documentation states that you should connect with the supplied cable and not use a hub. However, I can't find any TomTom cables which have a usb-c connector. What can I do now?

Best Answer

Answers

• riddim_rockerriddim_rocker Posts: 12 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited August 2019
    I'm afraid my PC does not have a standard USB port, only USB-C
  • tim123oxfordtim123oxford Posts: 22 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Found this on Amazon Cable Matters USB C to Micro USB Cable (Micro USB to USB-C Cable) with Braided Jacket 1m in Black £6.49
    by Cable Matters
    That looks promising! I will order one and let you know whether it works or not.

Thanks,

Colin
  • LucifyLucify Posts: 119 [Exalted Navigator]
    edited August 2019
    @riddim_rocker when you have tried it, keep us posted..
    edited August 2019
    I've just received the new cable and Go 60 says it is connected to my computer. Unfortunately, MyDrive Connect says the Go 60 isn't connected! I've tried re-booting everything but get the same result. I've even tried uninstalling the usb controller/drivers without any success.

Is there something unique about the TomTom supplied cable?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,737 [Elite Vanguard]
    Hi
    @riddim_rocker

Try... Delete & Reinstall MyDrive Connect
    If you're using a Windows PC... Delete MyDrive Connect using the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    If you're using a Mac... Surely there must be a Deep Clean Un-installer Program available for a Mac ???
    Download & install the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    Here...https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
    Revo first uninstalls the Program... Then scans and removes all of the left over files a normal uninstall leaves behind

(1)... Uninstall MyDrive Connect Using the Revo Uninstaller
    (2)... Clear your browsers cache (Optional, but I find it really does help)
    (3)... Restart your PC (Not Turn Off & Turn On again)
    Download and install myDrive Connect
    Here... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mydrive-connect/
    DO NOT have your Tomtom device connected to your PC while installing MyDrive Connect
    Connect & Turn on your device... Login to MyDrive Connect
    Note... If there is more than one Update, I find it's best to do the updates one at a time

ATB YFM
    Thanks YamFazMan! I'll give it a go and let you know what happens
    No joy I'm afraid. My Drive seems to recognise the Go 60 for a couple of seconds as it goes to the update screen and the Go 60 says it's updating. However, MyDrive Connect then asks me to connect my device and I'm at a dead-end again.

Either there is something special about a TomTom usb cable (which they imply in their documentation), or my usb ports are corrupt in some way or the Go 60 is faulty (I know the battery won't hold its charge!)

I'm beginning to think I need a new satnav!
    edited January 20
    Hi
    @riddim_rocker

Re "Download/installation interrupted".....
    Are your USB ports set for power saving "USB Selective Suspend"

Win7 See... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

Win10 See… https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73187-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend-windows-10-a.html
    Click on link and scroll down to "Turn Off USB Selective Suspend"

Also turn off any Screen savers any other Power savers or USB port monitoring software installed

Random Disconnects on Surface Pro 3 & 4
    Do you have or have access to a 'Surface Dock', if so plug your device into a USB port on that. Others have found that to work
    On the Win10 tablets, Microsoft has hidden the "USB Selective Suspend" menu
    You will need to edit the Registry for the USB Selective Suspend menu to show

Laptop users also see Note (1) (2) & (3)
    Note... (1) My Linx 10/10 Win10 Tablet is exactly the same... I had to edit the Registry to activate the advanced setting in the Power Menu

Note...(2) Recently a User with a Dell XPS 9360 Laptop also exactly the same problem ... he also had to edit the Registry to activate the advanced setting in the Power Menu

Note... (3) Thanks User 333... Just had a similar problem with new Dell XPS 13 7390 (running Windows 10) which only comes with USB-C port. Found that I was able to update my TomTom Via 225 (using a supplied USB-C to USB-3 cable/hub) only after changing this setting in Windows 10:
    Settings - Device - USB - Un-tick this box: Stop devices when my screen is off to help save battery. If you're having problems with connected devices, clear the check-box.

See editing the Registry... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1234855/#Comment_1234855

ATB YFM
    OK, I've implemented the registry hack, disabled the USB setting and am still having the same problem - but the connection did remain long enough for a small update to take place!! The current status is that MyDrive Connect shows the Go 60 as connected for about 5 to 10 seconds and then shows that it isn't (in extrenely small type too!). All the while, the Go 60 says it is connected to the computer. I get the same result regardless of whether I use the new USB to micro cable or the original TomTom cable via an adaptor.
    Very frustrating!
    However, we're off to Spain in early September and I will be able to use my old laptop which is in our place there - hopefully that will allow the updates to take place properly. If not, then the problem lies with the Go 60!
  • THXTEXTHXTEX Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have a 6100 and a Dell XPS 13. Can't connect using the actual supplied lead, USB C only. Have used a direct USB C to micro USB which keeps timing out, I also get the error that there's no internet access (which there is).

Using a lead that works on a USB 2/3 port on my old laptop doesn't work through my USB 3 hub, giving the error to connect the TT to my laptop without the hub.

Not saying that it's linked, but I can't connect my Denon DJ decks to Serato (DJ software) with the USB 2 lead it uses, so may be the port setup on the Dell rather than the software, going to ask Dell for advice too.
  • THXTEXTHXTEX Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Did the registry hack, rebooted, changed the USB Sleep setting for the power settings, rebooted and installed My Drive. Works fine with a USB C lead to micro USB lead.

Now, on to my DJing kit! :)
    Hi
    @THXTEX

You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)

ATB YFM
  • RKKRKK Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Just had a similar problem with new Dell XPS 13 7390 (running Windows 10) which only comes with USB-C port. Found that I was able to update my TomTom Via 225 (using a supplied USB-C to USB-3 cable/hub) only after changing this setting in Windows 10:
    Settings - Device - USB - Untick this box: Stop devices when my screen is off to help save battery. If you're having problems with connected devices, clear the checkbox.
  • CorbatCorbat Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hi @riddim_rocker

Welcome to the community!

The TomTom would be able to establish a stable connection only using a standard usb cable(supplied with the device)

Regards
    Vikram

That's not a great answer, is it. If you have a device that only has USB-C ports being told that you watch cannot connect because you have the wrong ports isn't helpful.
    We need to either be advised of a Watch->USB-C cable or of any adaptor that works. This has been a problem for quite some time now and it's rendering my devices useless. By not providing a solution, goodwill is being eroded.