reading off my position in Lattitude and longitude

kevtomtom
kevtomtom Registered Users Posts: 12
Master Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Whilst making a comparison between our old GO 910 and onu new GO essentials on the 910 we were able to read off our current latitude and longitude position for a rendezvous point for a group walk later this month but the essentials doesn't seem to allow this can any one help as we use lat and long not just to set a destination but to read off our current position
Again the 910 wins hands down over the more modern tomtoms it seems

Best Answer

Answers

• dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,382
     Superuser
    Search-->Entire map-->scroll down to latitude/longitude and click.

The values shown represent your current position.
  • kevtomtom
    Master Traveler
    Sorry you say search but where, on a map or on the tom-tom itself?
    I don't have a search function on the go essentials you can only find a spot and touch the screen and all it allows is
    Add to my places
    Add to currenet route
    Use as starting point
    Search near hear

but nothing about latitude and longitude?

Give me the tomtom 910 any time
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,862
    Superuser
    Hi @kevtomtom

The Go Essential will only give you your current positions Long/Lat if you

Tap Menu
    Tap Search
    Tap Whole world or Whole map top right then scroll down and Select Long/Lat and the 3 examples of the Formats recognised by the unit are of your current position

If you download the Mapcode App to your phone and, using search and the Hybrid map view which Is like Google Earth, you can search for places. When you have found the precise spot you want you are given an Address, the Long/Lat and the Mapcode for it. These work worldwide and you can cut and Paste the Long/Lat into the MyDrive App and then send it to your device or save the route and sync it to your device.

If you type DH.FX into search on your PND it will direct you to the middle gate at Buckingham Palace. If you are not in the U.K. you need to add GBR in front of the Mapcode. Far more accurate than postcodes as you can find a parking bay in a car park.

Doug
  • kevtomtom
    Master Traveler
    You are thinking about another SatNav as the tomtom Go essentials doesn't have a search option from the main menue just
    Drive To
    Drive Home
    Recent Destination
    Current Route
    My Places
    My Routes
    Record Route
    Voice Control
    Parking
    Petrol Station
    Report Speed Camera
    Settings
    ?
    and a crayon type marker so WHERE IS THIS SEARCH FUNCTION???????
    Please explain more fully how you derive this search sub menu on the tomtom Go Essentials if it exists at all
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,829
     Superuser
    edited July 2019
    Hi
    @kevtomtom

Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> System... 'Choose a search mode'
    Select the Superior 'Quick search' option....

ATB YFM
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,829
     Superuser
    edited July 2019
    Hi
    @kevtomtom

If you prefer to use the flawed 'Step by Step' Search option....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Drive to --> 'Latitude Longitude'
    If/When the device has a Satellite Lock....
    The 'Latitude Longitude' displayed in the 3 examples are LIVE for your 'Current location'

For more info see,,, https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1661670/#Comment_1661670

ATB YFM
  • kevtomtom
    Master Traveler
    Finally got there
    Why doesn't TomTom simply say current position in the lat and lon option instead of examples which is very misleading.
    A re design of the software is long over due for their modern satnavs to give a better GUInterface like the TomTom 910 which was a masterpiece with very few niggles that's why we have used it all over the world and to off road remote destinations to navigate by lat and long as if sailing
    Anyway thanks for the tips
    Kevin
  • kevtomtom
    Master Traveler
    Something else
    in the tomtom 910 I could save a copy of the 20 GB hard drive to my computer, I could back up and restore all the 4 910 tomtoms we have which was very useful especially if I needed to restore a tomtom when no internet connection was available for example.
    Now I cant see a way to back up or restore our New tomtom essentials locally on our laptop or is there a way to do this and if I need to reinstall the software where is it held if at all?
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited July 2019
    Hi @kevtomtom

There is not a way to back the GO Essential up as you used to do it but it is being backed up as you use it.

If you find a spot on the map and select it then Tap on the marker you will get a menu which includes Add to My Places. Select that and add it so that when you Tap on My Places on the unit you can see it listed.

Now connect your Unit to the wifi or to your Phone as you do for Traffic and if you Tap Menu you should see a Cloud Icon top right. When this becomes solid then the unit has connected to your Account on the Tomtom Servers.

Now go to the My Drive Webpage and log into your account and you should see the My Place you have just added.listed there . The My Drive webpage on your PC or the App on your phone is also where you can find destinations or create routes and send them to your unit and add POI and Route files if you wish . These files are then Synced to your Unit when you unit is logged into your account.

If you then go back to your GO Essential and delete the My Place you have created it will up date the deletion on the My Drive website .

So Tomtom are backing up your unit for you and if you ever have to do a factory Reset which will delete all the data then when you connect your unit to the Wifi or your Phone when away for home the unit will sync back all the data form the servers.

There are procedures for recovering your device if there is a problem Click on Categories at the top of this page and then select Videos and you will find lots of videos on what to do in certain circumstances .

Doug
  • kevtomtom
    Master Traveler
    OK not what I wanted to hear but guess corporations are controlling everything now so if we have problems in a place with no internet/wifi etc or telephone in our case (eg France in places) then we are now scuppered whilst before I could sort out everything off line

Also I cant see the memory/drive in my tomtom essentials as it was with windows explorer when connected to my laptop as I used to with the 910.
    so again can the essentials drive be accessed directly eg the map of western and central Europe that in the 910 I could put poi files into the 20 gb hard drive and they became active with their compagnion bmp files to identify them or is this prevented now?
  • standrewac2
    standrewac2 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited May 12
    Idiot's guide, please I followed yhe instructions, put in values in DMS ,and then what? I want to find a location
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @standrewac2

What TT device or App.

Doug