How do I Register TomTom GO 6200 WiFi bought from Halfords?

mr_lost
mr_lost Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Seeker
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I have been on the tom tom website and found something that says about registration. Then it says pick a device. Then it tells me how to use the device BUT I cannot find anywhere where it actually asks for info regarding the actual registering of my device.

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,168
    Superuser
    edited July 2019
    Hi @mr_lost

You do not need to Register your unit with Tomtom. When you set it up you were asked to put in your Tomtom Account details. If you have done that then if you go to the My Drive webpage https://mydrive.tomtom.com/ on your PC and log in with the same Account details , as you put in the GO6200, then you will see it listed there. Thus Tomtom will know it is associated with your account.

The My Drive website is also where you can create routes and send them to your device or save them there and if you clicked on the Option when saving the route to Sync this route as a track with my devices then it will appear on your GO6200 as a saved route

You will find a number of useful videos on the following.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034175/list-of-support-videos-drive#latest

Beware that you do not need a PC to update your GO6200 unless your Wifi connection is slow. In that case you attach the device to the PC with My Drive Connect software running on it, in the background if you want , and you do all the management using the menu on the GO6200 as the PC is nothing more than an Internet source.

Doug
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,480
     Superuser
    Hi
    @mr_lost

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re Go 6200 normally update using Wi-Fi...

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM

• mr_lost
    mr_lost Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Seeker
    The comment was helpful but did not really answer the question. I wanted to register the device because someone from Tom Tom UK promised a spare mount if I registered. So I wanted to do that first because hopefully it would be quicker and less complicated. Then when I had more time I could update maps, learn more about the unit etc. Having said all that thanks for taking the time to give me what will be useful info in the future.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,168
    Superuser
    edited July 2019
    Hi @mr_lost

Here is the Customer Support number so you can contact them and explain what you had been told by someone and can they sort it out for you.

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

By the way here is the Tomtom page re registration. As you will see this says exactly what I said based on your original post which only asked how do I register my new device.

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/product_select/

I don't think just adding it to your account will result in a Spare Mount. You will really have to speak to them. Don't answer any of the questions but wait until an agent answers.

Doug