Insufficient Memory on GO 6100 to update Navcore (Nav4) — TomTom Community

Insufficient Memory on GO 6100 to update Navcore (Nav4)

Hello, I've been messing around for ages trying to find a fix to this but without success.
Basically I cannot update my map (UK, Europe & Ireland + Buildings) without first updating Navcore (Nav4) but as the update is 339MB and I only have 225MB space left i'm in catch 22 . I have already removed all the extra voices etc. to free up space but still not enough.
Can I somehow delete the map from my device and reinstall on the SD card then update Naz4 ?

Best Answer

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,402
    Superusers
    edited July 2019
    Hi
    @nicksuth

Didn't the GO 6100 come with World Maps ???
    Install a small Map first... See bellow

On the early NAV4 devices you were allowed ONE Lifetime pre-installed
    Map... The early Maps fitted easily onto 8GB on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest Full Europe Map is 9.13GB and wont fit....
    You need to install a Micro SDHC memory card
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card...The latest Full Europe Map is 9.13GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)

uwzsispfxlsc.jpg
    If required... Maybe @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocated a small Map to your Account
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper' (Don't remove the small Map)... The Small Map it will enable the device to keep running and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running

Edit... If you wish to just stick with using the internal memory Instead of using a Micro USB Card
    Tomtom have released the Europe map in different Map Cuts (Map zones)... Will any of these new Maps suit your travel requirements ???
    More information Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1660206/#Comment_1660206
    ATB YFM
  • nicksuthnicksuth Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I have a 32GB SD card formatted and fitted ready to download the latest Full Europe Map but how do I remove or move the map to my SD card to free up space on the device ?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,884
    Superuser
    edited July 2019
    Hi @nicksuth

Your GO6100 has 8GB of Internal memory and is incapable of accepting the Full European maps as offered. Because there is a Navcore update for your unit then by default that update must be carried out before all others.

When you installed the 32gb memory card did you format it for Maps. If not then Tap Menu, Tap Settings, Tap System and Select Format Memory card and if asked Format it for Maps.

Once that is done then I would do the following. Go into Maps on the unit and select Add a Map. Search and download the map for Venezuela which is only about 30mb, if you can find a smaller one then select that, and so you have enough free space to load it. Once it has loaded and you have tested it then go back into maps and Select Delete a Map and then delete your European Map. The delete a map option is only available if you have 2 or more maps on the unit.

Now connect your unit to the PC and download the Navcore update.as you have plenty of space with only the Venezuela map on it. Once you have done that you either continue with the other updates which if the Europe Map is one of them then it will load a new map onto the Extra memory card as there will not be enough space for it on the internal memory..

If the European map update is not offered then just go into Maps and Select Add a Map and load the European map you want.

One tip for you is Do Not Delete the Venezuela map. Leave it there on your internal memory because if at any stage during an update of the European map there is a problem you could finish up with the map disappearing. Because you have the Small map there you can start the GO6100 as normal and reinstall the map. Without the small map then your will get a No Maps situation and you will not be able to start the unit. You will have to go through the no Map procedure to try and resolve that issue. One other benefit of the small map remaining is if you ever want to add or export from your GO6100 any route files then you will have to remove the European Map card which is fine as the small map is there and so the unit will work okay.

If you decide to download another map and it is small enough it will be loaded onto the Internal Memory which is the default position regarding loading maps.

Hope that helps.

Doug
    Hi Doug,

SD Card was already formatted (confirmed when I tried to reformat)

I cannot get MyConnect to download any map, tried Venezuela and Algeria (both < 50mb) just fails saying Dorry, Some Items were not updated as below.

Checked device Map options but still only one map (EU, UK and ROI) installed

8oip9dekb3yf.jpg

Also, at main menu it states "You first need to install the Navcore update. Only after that you can select maps and services"

be3y6fukq6ug.jpg

Any further ideas ?

Nick

Superuser
    Hi @nicksuth

I have flagged @VikramK or @lampard to have a look at this and see if they can sort a solution.

Maybe they can stop the Navcore update from being offered and then you can sort the Unit out and once that has been done then have the Navcore update reinstated.

Keep an eye out tomorrow.

Sorry I have no more suggestions.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,402
    Superusers
    edited July 2019
    Hi
    @nicksuth

Try.... Removing the Micro SDHC Card and reformat it FAT32... Using the SD Card Association Memory Card Formatter (PC & Mac versions are available)
    Here... https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/index.html

Reinsert the the Micro SDHC Card into the Tomtom device and Format it for Maps

ATB YFM
    Hi Doug,

I have managed a workaround by using an old laptop with the previous version of MyConnect and stopped it updating to the new version when it loaded up.

Managed to download a couple of small maps to the device and delete the large EU/UK/ROI, now downloading EU/UK/ROI to SD Card.

Hopefully when I plug back in to my newer PC it will update Navcore Nav4

Bit of a pain in the #*& and thank god I had not thrown out the PC !

Thanks for your help

Nick

Superuser
    Hi @nicksuth

We will be like to hear how you get on as it may help us help others in future. We will still need to find out how this can be resolved when there is no old PC to help.

Keep us informed please. Thank you.

Doug
    @DougLap

Success !!

EU/UK/ROI downloaded to SD Card and left the small maps on device (now have 6.5GB of space on the device).

Did encounter a couple of hiccups as old PC decided it wanted to run virus scan, then update iTunes which broke the connection to the Tom Tom server and took a few attempts to reconnect as kept getting "servers very busy" message.

Tested device and works fine.

Reconnected to newer PC expecting Navcore update but no further updates needed?

I'll try plugging at back in at the weekend and check again

Not sure if this will help you in the future but keeping my old PC for emergencies haha

Thanks

Nick
    Superuser
    edited July 2019
    Hi @nicksuth

Could you do a Soft Reset ie turn the unit on then when working hold the On/OFF button down until you hear the drumroll sound then let the button go.

When you have done that connect the unit to your newer PC and check for updates to see if the new Navcore appears then.

Let us know so if necessary we na get the mods to check your unit and add the Navcore update if necessary.

Doug
    Hi @DougLap

Did this and still says device up to date

33uarxl5it2i.jpg
    Superuser
    Hi @nicksuth

Thanks. Need @VikramK to check your unit from their end and if necessary they will do what is necessary to get the Navcore update offered.

Have a look here tomorrow.

Doug