50 GO won't connect to computer. — TomTom Community

50 GO won't connect to computer.

We have 2 x 50 GO, one each, my partners connects to the computer no problem, mine doesn't, as soon as you plug it in all it does is charge, it's not recognised by the computer. I've obviously tried using the same lead etc. So I assume mine is broken?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,402
    Superusers
    Hi
    @MalNorwich

What Computer and Operating system are you using
    Is the Computer connection back to the router Hard-wired or Wi-Fi ???

ATB YFM
  • MalNorwichMalNorwich Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    It's windows 7 and the connection is hardwired, although that's completely irrelevant as I stated we have 2 and one connects fine to the computer, the other doesn't, same computer, same lead, the one that doesn't connect just starts with the normal screen, no message to ask about connecting to the PC.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,884
    Superuser
    edited July 2019
    Hi @MalNorwich

Have you tried a Soft reset. Ie Turn the unit on then when working Hold the On/Off button down for about 20 seconds until you here a Drumroll sound then let the button go.

Or a Factory Reset.

Select Rest Device in Systems in Settings. This will delete all your Data Ie favourites (My Places) and Poi and Route files you have loaded via My Drive. If you log into your account on the My Drive website you should see all your data there and so they will sync back onto your unit when you have rest it and it is connected to My Drive Connect on your PC or via your Phone connection.

Doug
  • MalNorwichMalNorwich Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited July 2019
    Hi @DougLap
    I've tried both the things you have suggested with no luck. When I look in Device Manager/Network Adapters on the PC the TOM TOM device doesn't show, obviously it does show when I plug in the one that works. This second one simply doesn't seem to recognise it's been plugged in to the PC.
    I've tried both my partners and mine on 2 x laptops and 2 x PCs, hers connects every time, mine doesn't, I've tried on XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10, it definitely this 2nd 50 GO with the issue.
    Superuser
    edited July 2019
    HI @MalNorwich

I am guessing that the unit id missing a driver somehow. Maybe @LAURE123 , @VikramK or @lampard may be able to come up with ideas to help .

In the meantime may be try the following.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1019494/tomtom-go-40-will-not-re-install-drivers

Keep an Eye out here.

Doug
  • TynanTynan Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I am having exactly the same problem. MyDrive & TomTom Home do not recognise that my device is attached. I have gone through all the diagnostics suggested above, but to no avail.

Does anyone have the magic bullet that will resolve this?
    Superuser
    Hi @Tynan

Have you tried a Soft Reset whilst the GO50 is connected to the PC with My Drive Connect running?

Doug
  • PacemPacem Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same issue with a Go500. We have 2. One connects fine and has updated. The other just charges. I have tried 3 different cables (2 Tomtom genuine). I have tried 2 different PCs. I have tried numerous soft resets and then a hard reset. I have tried restarting the computers.
    It remains sitting here charging.

Running Windows 10 and latest version of MDC.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,402
    Superusers
    edited December 2019
    Hi
    @Pacem

With a small pointed probe CAREFULLY check if you can see if the Micro USB Socket on the GO 500 is fixed or if it moves slightly... Maybe the soldered joint to the PCB has fractured ???
    Or have the device connected to the PC over USB With MyDrive Connect running and GENTLY move the Micro USB plug to the Left and Hold it there for say 10 seconds then repeat moving and holding the USB plug to the Right then the Front and then the Back... see if the GO 500 shows as Connected in MyDrive Connect...
    As above maybe the soldered joint to the PCB has fractured ???

ATB YFM
  • PacemPacem Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for the reply
    The socket doesn't appear to be loose. I tried moving the plug around to see if it was a connection with the socket but it makes no difference. I have checked the socket for debris with a magnifying glass and probe and it is clean.