Poor navigation algorithms — TomTom Community

Poor navigation algorithms

When are you going to sort out the basic navigation mapping algorithm so that I get reliable navigation along my selected route. I recently had my Go6xx lose the pre-planned track after I missed a turn and it took a full 10 minutes to recover and then it wanted to take me back to the missed turn. My old 910 would instantly find a new route and appeared to have common sense as part of its mapping. This latest device is just plain dumb. I find my free phone app is better at recovering from a detour than this expensive piece of junk. Sorry but your devices are not cutting the mustard as navigators.

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,908
    Superuser
    edited July 2019
    Hi @RAFHAAA96

You say you have been on a "Preplanned Track" which I assume means that you have created and saved the Route in MyDrive and synced it to your GO620 or you have created it on 3rd party software and imported it as a GPX file. If it is saved in your My Routes folder on the GO620 and the arrow next to the name of the route has a dashed shaft not a solid shaft then it is a .GPX file.

If that is the case then the unit is working exactly as it should do as .GPX files are instructions of exactly the route you want followed. If you miss a turning it will immediately want to get you back to the where the error was made in order to then continue to follow the route you have instructed it to follow. The route will also not take any notice of Traffic that would suggest a quicker route.

If you create and save a route on the GO620 or import a ..ITN route then in My Routes they have a solid shaft on the arrow against the name. With .ITN routes when you miss a turning it will continue to direct you to your next waypoint on the route and unless necessary will not return you to the missed turning. .ITN routes also will take into consideration Traffic data.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,459
    Superusers
    edited July 2019
    Hi
    @RAFHAAA96

Further to Doug's post....
    As Doug says...The .ITN Route type uses Stops and the device plans the route between the stops... An .ITN Route will respond to Live Traffic and any route deviations....
    BUT you must pass though each Stop... An .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created, if you miss a stop, the device will continuously attempt to guide you to the missed stop....
    You have to edit the Route and delete the problem stop to avoid it...

ATB YFM