Included charger and USB cable

Tobbe_Torped_1
Tobbe_Torped_1 Registered Users Posts: 1
Novice Seeker
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Does anyone know how important it really is to only use the original TomTom 12V USB-charger and USB-cable included in the box? The reason I ask is that I don't want loose cables in the compartment why I have made a professional, hidden fixed installation of a proper USB-cable behind the dash board which ends at the bottom of the windshield which in turn is connected to the mount which is attached on the windshield of course. It works for sure but does such a connection with other usb-cables and transformation (12V to 5V) with other brands harm the TomTom battery in the long run? Or is the demand to only use TomTom usb and charger just a way to isolate proper usage and thereby guarantee?
Considering TomTom's general poor quality in batteries, it is hard to tell if it actually is cables of other brands or just Tom Tom's poor battery quality.
Any insight in this area is appreciated.
Tagged:

Answers

• Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,115
    Superuser
    @Tobbe_Torped_1

If you are not using the cigarette charger originally supplied, then the device is not getting the 5v 1.5Amps that it needs, so it will go into power saving mode. Where it dims the screen, then drops live services, then finally it shuts down
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,806
    Superuser
    Hi
    @Tobbe_Torped_1

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

As a test...
    Try using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter

The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

ATB YFM
  • SantaFeTom
    SantaFeTom Registered Users Posts: 34
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Out of necessity, I have used a non-TomTom cigarette lighter USB charger without any issues. It was out or necessity because the shape of the TomTom charger is not compatible with the shape of a BMW X1 cigarette lighter socket. I was 2 hours into my first trip with my Go 620, thinking it was charging, when the battery went dead. Long story short, I needed to grind off the square shoulders of the TomTom charger to create tapered shoulders. Once I did that the TomTom charger worked in the X1.
  • kingjohn6200
    kingjohn6200 Registered Users Posts: 122
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    edited July 2019
    Does anyone know how important it really is to only use the original TomTom 12V USB-charger and USB-cable included in the box? The reason I ask is that I don't want loose cables in the compartment why I have made a professional, hidden fixed installation of a proper USB-cable behind the dash board which ends at the bottom of the windshield which in turn is connected to the mount which is attached on the windshield of course. It works for sure but does such a connection with other usb-cables and transformation (12V to 5V) with other brands harm the TomTom battery in the long run? Or is the demand to only use TomTom usb and charger just a way to isolate proper usage and thereby guarantee?
    Considering TomTom's general poor quality in batteries, it is hard to tell if it actually is cables of other brands or just Tom Tom's poor battery quality.
    Any insight in this area is appreciated.

Sounds like you know what your doing, so perhaps you can run a fused cable from the cars fuse box, they usually have a few spair outlets then use perhaps a 5A fuse to protect the output, the lead would have perhaps a 2A anti surge fuse. Finally have a 12v power soocket hidden away in the glove box or under it where you can plug the original tomtom converter in?

I had to do my own also, phone chargers (Fast charge for Samsung S9) Amazon echo dot, Snooper camera alert, dash cam ha ha a right mess until I made my own connections. There are smaller USB 3 type fast chargers with enough current for the tomtom, chargers are safe, converters are not safe.

Samsung Galaxy fast charger for car will have 2A, no it wont switch from 5V to 12V :) but is shorter and has the current available for the tomtom 5Volts 1.5A or so
  • big
    big Posts: 1,712
    Superuser
    SOME other non-TomTom chargers absolutely will work. Many will not. Likewise for the cable. I typically use my devices with non-TomTom chargers but I know those charges are high power and good quality and deal well with the TomTom. I have zero issues and haven't noticed shortened battery life. And when I connect the TomTom to a computer or "play" with it either inside or outside for long periods with an external battery I am not using a TomTom cable. Again, no issues. There is nothing special about the cable electrically -- it's standard USB. Physically there may be some issues with certain cables.