Flawed and dangerous routing algorithm — TomTom Community

Flawed and dangerous routing algorithm

I encountered a flawed and potentially dangerous route created via MyDrive. I created a “thrill” route online with medium windiness and medium elevation changes. Just a few miles into the trip, on a 5 mile section of busy Rt. 11 in New Hampshire, the route wanted me to turn into traffic in order to take a 150 yard (137 meters) dirt road then back onto oncoming traffic and Rt. 11. The dirt road, in fact, was just a driveway:

9gxwvvg0wl2v.png

May I respectfully suggest to TomTom developers to build a few more rules into the routing algorithm that considers the distance of such thrill deviations and whether or not the deviation requires the user to cross into traffic. If crossing into traffic is required, the minimum distance threshold (the threshold that determines if the deviation should even be included in the route) should be higher.

Thank you.

Comments

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,257 Moderator
    Hi @DrakeSmith

Thanks for the detailed explanation and the screen shot you provided.

I will forward this to the team.

Would you want to share the start and the destination planned for this route?

Regards
    Vikram
  • DrakeSmithDrakeSmith Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
    Thank you for your quick response Vikram.

You are welcome to take the entire route. I tried to publish it but the MyDrive site would not let me without tags and photographs. The best I can do is give you a .gpx of the route (attached here).

Please let me know what else I can do to help. Thank you.
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 553 [Revered Pioneer]
    @VikramK this behavior is quite normal when a trill route is set to maximum curves.
    Not only MyDrive does this but also a trill route on the Rider and MyRoute App with the TomTom map does the same.
    When a route is exported as Track a lot of this strange parts are filtered out during import and mapping to the road.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,257 Moderator
    edited July 2019
    Hello All,

Although this has been passed on an improvement feedback I also got a reply on it.

At the moment there are no rules in the routing algorithm that would explicitly check for that kind of condition.

By the definition of windy a side dirt road that results in bends in the resulting road is awesome and if the traffic scenario is considered then it conflicts directly with what we consider winding.

Regards
    Vikram